A12owl

Who was the least popular signing ever?

Clinton Morrison: disliked him before he signed, but grudgingly thought he would score plenty of goals. Even that was wrong. 

• Agree 1

John Merredith & John Beswetherick have to be the two main contenders in my 62 years of faithfully turning up at Hillsborough. 

Francis bloody Jeffers by a long long way

26 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Holt was never given the opportunity at Hillsborough as we were a side in steep decline and wanted instant fixes but paying peanuts money.

When I saw him at Burnley, although he didn't score in the 7-2 win I thought he looked great potential, as you say he didn't begin the following season very well, but was sold without being given a real chance, shame really.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, PopePiusX said:

Colin West was known for failing to bury sitters.

This is so wrong, you shouldn't be saying things like that.

That aside, funniest thing I have ever read on here though. 

Why are people suggesting Jeffers?

Sure he was rubbish for us, no debate necessary, but when we signed him most, if not all, thought it was a good signing. Iirc, he had had a good loan spell at Ipswich, scoring a few goals and somehow we nicked him from them. 

• Agree 2

The one the only FRANCIS JEFFERS!!!

16 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Sure he was rubbish for us, no debate necessary, but when we signed him most, if not all, thought it was a good signing. Iirc, he had had a good loan spell at Ipswich, scoring a few goals and somehow we nicked him from them. 

Hmmm. Not how I recall it. Think everyone knew he was a gamble - potentially a great buy but always a risk he would be injured / uninterested / rubbish.

• Agree 1

Larry May would be right up there on the list for me. Useless lump from Barnsley signed by Wilko, I was hoping we would kick on at the time and this one really crushed my hopes.

Two stand out for me

Chris Woods - at the time wasn't he the most expensive goalkeeper in British football?

Waddle - wow, the excitement of that was too much. I may have got over-excited at the time

edit - completely misunderstood this thread

Edited by Eastern
  • Agree 2

I thought Steve MacKenzie was a shybo signing as soon as it was announced.  Not only because I couldn't fathom out why we needed him, but also because he had a moustache when they were well out of fashion!

• Agree 1

Donnelly, and the late phil o'donnell, never fit 

5 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

37 year old Barry Horne to keep us in the premier league! 

Which he did almost single handed shored the midfield up

• Agree 3

Peter Feeley, signed by Len Ashurst from Gillingham in the bad bad bad days. And he was bad and not very popular.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

The Ipswich manager probably drove him to Hillsborough personally.

20 hours ago, torryowl said:

there's been shed loads over the years who turned out to be unpopular due to being crap  but one who was unpopular (with me and probably a few others ) from day one was simon stainrod ........ a very strange signing by wilko and no surprise he didn't hang around to long .

Without a doubt Stainrod.....no one comes close

ex pig and cause of the Oldham riots

• Agree 2