Burnley want lees again

35 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Given his new contract deal, I'd say a few clubs have come in for Lees, probably from EPL.

If Brum paid £3.5 mill to Barnsley for that cart horse, we are looking at least £9 million to a club that's about to pocket £30 million for a former Man Utd reserve stopper.

But Hanley and Lees would be brilliant together at Hillsborough.

I agree. What a steal Lees was for nothing given the current crazy prices.  In my opinion we can't sell him at any price. We'd find it hard to create a better partnership that Lees Loovens or Lees Hanley. 

Though, according to the Daily Mail, they face a tough task luring Sheffield Wednesday centre-back Tom Lees to Wearside. The report claims that Middlesbrough, Derby County, Hull City and newly promoted Huddersfield Town all provide competition.

Let's keep Lees and not do a Mawson - yes , Barnsley got £5 million from Swansea  but Spurs now in at £20 million.

Similar,  Mc Guire, Kyle Walker , etc , etc.

Keep Lees , Hirsty et al - unless they really wanna go and we can get megabucks plus a good replacement.

And a 50% sell on clause , plus buy back provision.

7 hours ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

If we could replace Lees for £5m, why wouldnt Burnley just buy that player for half the price of Lees??!

Why didn't they get him for nowt from Leeds? Maybe we are better at sniffing out CH bargains?

id say lees market value will be over 8 million but I wouldn't sell for under 12 million .what we need to be doing is getting squad trimmed down a little by clearing out nuhiu joao loovens pudil ,I like loovens but if he gets any slower he will be playing walking football ,age catches up with us all. cant be selling players like lees as its so difficult to prise top players off other clubs without getting fleeced ie 6 million adam reach 10 million Jordon Rhodes neither are worth half that

3 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

id say lees market value will be over 8 million but I wouldn't sell for under 12 million .what we need to be doing is getting squad trimmed down a little by clearing out nuhiu joao loovens pudil ,I like loovens but if he gets any slower he will be playing walking football ,age catches up with us all. cant be selling players like lees as its so difficult to prise top players off other clubs without getting fleeced ie 6 million adam reach 10 million Jordon Rhodes neither are worth half that

Ditto. I mean, it's crazy money but decent young-ish English CBs are going for mega money at the moment, aren't they?

5 minutes ago, Almat said:

Why didn't they get him for nowt from Leeds? Maybe we are better at sniffing out CH bargains?

This misses the point. Back when we signed Lees we had just come off finishing 16th in the league, and our signings were much more speculative back then. We were trying to get to midtable and we took more risks than we did then. Our first team signings that summer were Lees, Hutch, Westwood, May, Kelhar, Dielna. Total about £1m.

Turns out all Lees needed to turn his career around (he had a bad time at the end in Leeds) but it could have easily gone the other way.

Now, we can't afford a project - we are tooling up for a genuine promotion run, and we need players we KNOW can hack it at the top of this league.

Not sure how may of them you can get for £5m that other teams won't also be aware of.

1 minute ago, Almat said:

Ditto. I mean, it's crazy money but decent young-ish English CBs are going for mega money at the moment, aren't they?

in a way I'm glad we didn't go up ,us paying 20 millions for average players would make me sick ,I wish we would start bringing a few young lads though rather than washed up players at very back end of there career . the only decent value is players whose contracts what have ran out or clubs doing a fire sale.all our rivals in our league wont be getting any of our players ,but 1-2 may leave if mega bucks come from premier league

12 million id ask for with a sell on clause and an extra three if he makes an appearance for England while there.

We are struggling to sign one CH at the moment and the dross were linked with Keogh Hanley Morrison etc doesn't fill me with any confidence we could sign two. 

Has his limits but would be a big loss.

1 hour ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

This misses the point. Back when we signed Lees we had just come off finishing 16th in the league, and our signings were much more speculative back then. We were trying to get to midtable and we took more risks than we did then. Our first team signings that summer were Lees, Hutch, Westwood, May, Kelhar, Dielna. Total about £1m.

Turns out all Lees needed to turn his career around (he had a bad time at the end in Leeds) but it could have easily gone the other way.

Now, we can't afford a project - we are tooling up for a genuine promotion run, and we need players we KNOW can hack it at the top of this league.

Not sure how may of them you can get for £5m that other teams won't also be aware of.

I think you are forgetting we paid 5 million for Reach. Surely he was speculative? 

11 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

Played a full season for Boro when they finished 4th in the League.

Does he play CB though?

And hadn't he been the subject of a 1 million quid bid from a Championship club just a few months before we bought him? And what does the fact he isn't a CB have anything to do with your argument? You stated we weren't in the speculative stage and I simply gave you a signing that really was. Can I have my goal posts back, please? You seem to have moved them and now I don't know where they are....