9 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

So..Theres one law for good players..and another for yer average ones?

You can't lay hands on a referee  no matter how much skill you have...It was a f.ookin' stupid thing to do

This is exactly what makes me laugh. Di canio (how ever comical it was) pushed a ref yet its everybody else's fault . the fact he clearly didn't want to be here is irrelevant to most. He's still treated like a god despite one measly season nearly 20 years ago. 

Marco Matias makes a clumsy tackle in his first start in ages and he's hung out to dry. Different rules depending on who committed the 'sin' . 

Edited by james o connor

9 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

So he got banned didn't he ?? What's your beef with him ? Players are doing far worse and in packs these days . So you wanted him out then ? He was passionate and played on the edge that's why he was so good , quite simply one of the most gifted players I've ever seen at S6 . Give a bit of slack it was a stupid thing to do he got punished move on . The club should have dealt with it better   What was your take on Cantona in the crowd ? 

Cantona was banned

Shiuld have been for longer

Cantona served his ban and returned to his club

Di Canio after his hearing said something along the lines if

"I had a fair hearing and will see Wednesday fans on Boxing day"

You seen him ?

9 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

He couldnt wait to be in london and be the centre of attention.. Off like a shot.even tho we managed the situation like a bunch of amateurs.

My opinion is that he was using us as a stepping stone to bigger things and it would have taken a large contract to get him to stay..hes never shown loyalty where ever hes been.

15 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Cantona was banned

You seen him ?

I've said my piece on the Di Canio situation before but here I go one last time...

He clearly didn't want to be here! People can say he was "hung out to dry" or "wasn't supported enough by the club" as much as they want, but that doesn't change the fact that after committing the offence he went absent without leave and clearly wanted out.

I'm never going to say Richards and Wilson handled the situation perfectly but if anyone thinks that entitled Paulo to do what he wanted then I'm afraid I firmly disagree.

On his day the guy was a fricking genius; however, he was hot headed, self obsessed and intent on leaving the club. No amount of mollycoddling and ego stroking would have made a blind bit of difference.

8 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

I've said my piece on the Di Canio situation before but here I go one last time...

He clearly didn't want to be here! People can say he was "hung out to dry" or "wasn't supported enough by the club" as much as they want, but that doesn't change the fact that after committing the offence he went absent without leave and clearly wanted out.

I'm never going to say Richards and Wilson handled the situation perfectly but if anyone thinks that entitled Paulo to do what he wanted then I'm afraid I firmly disagree.

On his day the guy was a fricking genius; however, he was hot headed, self obsessed and intent on leaving the club. No amount of mollycoddling and ego stroking would have made a blind bit of difference.

Frame this . An intelligent post that hasn't distorted the situation to suit their argument. 

9 hours ago, Jakes Grandad said:

One thing that used to amaze me re Di Canio, how good were Other Italian international players at that time as he could not get into their international side?

Rememberreading something at the time, the Italian manager said he wouldn't pick him if he was the last player on earth, something about his attitude.

We might be facing him in the first game of the season, if he gets the Preston job. He was the favourite last night, just ahead of Gerrard; Moyes, Alexander and Rosler. :ph34r:

I liked him as a player, he was entertaining; stylish, energetic, skillfull, creative and capable of wonder goals. In a way he kind of reminds me of someone we just added to the team. :manager:

40 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Yeah, agree totally. Richards and Wilson was a very convenient (and unfortunate) smokescreen at the time. Also wrt the Cantona comparisons ......I reckon Cantona probably had a bit more organisation between his ears. Glad I saw him playing for us though. UTO.

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

This is exactly what makes me laugh. Di canio (how ever comical it was) pushed a ref yet its everybody else's fault . the fact he clearly didn't want to be here is irrelevant to most. He's still treated like a god despite one measly season nearly 20 years ago. 

Marco Matias makes a clumsy tackle in his first start in ages and he's hung out to dry. Different rules depending on who committed the 'sin' . 

Matias doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Di Canio. 

What Di Canio did was plain stupid but this was a player we should have built the team around.

Matias on the other hand is someone the manager clearly doesn't trust enough to play regularly, very lightweight and despite some on here thinking he is the second coming, will probably never play for us again. People were rightly angry at his reckless challenge but he has hardly been hung out to dry. 

1 hour ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

When Frank Sinatra walks out refusing to sing you chase after him when Vince O'Average walks out you don't even look up.  

No one is claiming that Di Canio was entitled to do what he wanted.  That's a straw man argument in my book.  

How do know he wanted out is that just merely your opinion or do you have evidence of this?  I might as well say he was clearly desperate to stay but he wasn't made to feel wanted, my evidence is as strong as yours, I don't have any.

All your doing is making assumptions to fit your narrative, how do you know if they hadn't stroked his ego he would have stayed?  

I'm not defending his actions, but the club for whatever reasons messed up and we are still paying the price.

Edited by Holmes

He also engineered his move from Celtic to us , practically refusing to play for them again.

Great player on his day , but a total Knob still would have a player oh his quality in our team anyday of the week. 

4 hours ago, David1867 said:

Matias doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Di Canio. 

What Di Canio did was plain stupid but this was a player we should have built the team around.

Matias on the other hand is someone the manager clearly doesn't trust enough to play regularly, very lightweight and despite some on here thinking he is the second coming, will probably never play for us again. People were rightly angry at his reckless challenge but he has hardly been hung out to dry. 

You have just backed up my arguement. It's okay for di canio to push a ref but not for Matias to make a clumsy challenge? 

Matias merit to the team is not the issue. The facist mercinary that is di canio didn't want to be here. All this guff about  how he is was shafted etc. He got exactly what he wanted , a move away from Sheffield to the bright lights of London. I can't believe even our fans are too dense to grasp that 

4 hours ago, Holmes said:

When Frank Sinatra walks out refusing to sing you chase after him when Vince O'Average walks out you don't even look up.  

No one is claiming that Di Canio was entitled to do what he wanted.  That's a straw man argument in my book.  

How do know he wanted out is that just merely your opinion or do you have evidence of this?  I might as well say he was clearly desperate to stay but he wasn't made to feel wanted, my evidence is as strong as yours, I don't have any.

All your doing is making assumptions to fit your narrative, how do you know if they hadn't stroked his ego he would have stayed?  

I'm not defending his actions, but the club for whatever reasons messed up and we are still paying the price.

Of course IF the reality was that there was absolutely nothing the club could have done to stop him from engineering his move then the subsequent price paid was firmly down to PdC.

3 hours ago, elyowl1 said:

He also engineered his move from Celtic to us , practically refusing to play for them again.

Great player on his day , but a total Knob still would have a player oh his quality in our team anyday of the week. 

Yes my abiding memories of him remain the sublime Goodison performance juxtaposing the giant nob of a human being that he is.

He'd have been fine here is Atkinson had stayed and would have been kept on - Big  Ron liked players with flair and knew how to handle players like Di Canio.

Wison was out of his depth and clueless as to how to deal with him  - it was never going to last and something else would have prompted the Italian to go 

Guest RocketOwl

Lots of people blame Wilson for not being able to manage the likes of Di Canio and Carbone, and they are correct.

However I honestly feel our fans are guilty of not being able to see that different players are going to act differently. What makes FF and Di Canio tick is raw emotion and when that emotion produces good results it's amazing but it will sometimes produce negative results.

When FF didn't play or Di Canio pushed the ref, they are emotional characters and it boiled over o to negativity. You'd not get that from an Andy Booth or a Steven Fletcher but at the same time you'd never get the joy from the either or match winning Edge of the seat moments.

Like Wilson, some of our fans need to get behind FF and understand what he did was not done with malice or intent it was done with emotion and unfortunately had a negative effect where as for example when he scored against Forest and jumped in with fans it's the other way.

These types of players will always have up and down moments and we as fans have to be able to appreciate that.

8 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Lots of people blame Wilson for not being able to manage the likes of Di Canio and Carbone, and they are correct.

However I honestly feel our fans are guilty of not being able to see that different players are going to act differently. What makes FF and Di Canio tick is raw emotion and when that emotion produces good results it's amazing but it will sometimes produce negative results.

When FF didn't play or Di Canio pushed the ref, they are emotional characters and it boiled over o to negativity. You'd not get that from an Andy Booth or a Steven Fletcher but at the same time you'd never get the joy from the either or match winning Edge of the seat moments.

Like Wilson, some of our fans need to get behind FF and understand what he did was not done with malice or intent it was done with emotion and unfortunately had a negative effect where as for example when he scored against Forest and jumped in with fans it's the other way.

These types of players will always have up and down moments and we as fans have to be able to appreciate that.

Agree to a large extent but you missed out greed as well as emotion. We've moved on and yes we do need to get behind now FF but let's not sanitise it; his behaviour was disgraceful.

Edited by Dagmeister

9 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Cantona was banned

You seen him ?

Well that's all speculation , you are implying he said one thing then did another did he ask for a transfer ? All I know is he was a gifted player and we don't get that many do we , , don't suppose you would have put up with Gazza's  antics either then ? But every player deserves a second chance don't they , PDC played with raw emotion and passion and needed to be understood.  All water under the bridge now  though 

Used to make it worth getting to the ground early to watch him warmup. Him and Carbone were mesmerising. How many players in our history have made fans want to get in early? flipping not many, most in recent years would put it off for as long as possible believe you me!