Should have come back for the Leicester game..No show

Couldn't remember actually playing for us..

LOst the player of the year trophy

Pushed a f.ookin' ref over..What do you expect the club to do?

Great player..I was at Southampton when he threw a dummy that had  the whole end of a ground going the wrong way...

flawed genius..and a fascist..enjoyed watching him play...but he more or less engineered his move from Hillsborough..He knew EXACTLY what he was doing

Edited by asteener1867

3 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Great player..I was at Southampton when he threw a dummy that had  the whole end of a ground going the wrong way...

flawed genius..and a fascist..enjoyed watching him play...but he more or less engineered his move from Hillsborough..He knew EXACTLY what he was doing

No more or less about it.  He was demanding a move from about February of the previous season.  Denigrated his team mates at every opportunity.  Never has a player more deserved the reception he got when he came back. 

Preferred Carbone to be honest - but Paolo was special.

I preferred his early 'long hair' format, rather than the 'shaved head' format.

Gutted Regi Blinked had to go in exchange to bring him here though. I remember hearing we'd signed him on the radio then being crushed that Blinker had gone.

Wilson was made a scapegoat through dave Richards who was linning his way to be chairman of the premier league. 

Wison wanted to stand by him but was overruled by the powers to be and took the flack for it.

the management of di canio was apauling. He was a special player we all knew had a flamboyant and eccentric personality. And whilst what non of us would condone as appropriate behaviour, he was unsupported by his employment and unappreciated. We let a very good player leave cheaply for the benefit of our chairman and not the club 

25 minutes ago, MrsHall said:

That game when he ran about half the pitch to give the linesman some grief about a nothing throw in...barking for sure, but definitely class. UTO.

He got sent off in a fac game at home to Watford for disputing a throw in.  That was the game pressman saved 3 pens in the penalty shootout to get us through. 

1 hour ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

spot on mate,I was at that Everton game

different gravy di canio was

Agreed.

Still fondly remember that game. I was sat with the Everton supporters that day as I couldn't get in to the away end.  

I can still hear the D I Canio song ringing around the ground.  

27 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Wilson was made a scapegoat through dave Richards who was linning his way to be chairman of the premier league. 

Wison wanted to stand by him but was overruled by the powers to be and took the flack for it.

the management of di canio was apauling. He was a special player we all knew had a flamboyant and eccentric personality. And whilst what non of us would condone as appropriate behaviour, he was unsupported by his employment and unappreciated. We let a very good player leave cheaply for the benefit of our chairman and not the club 

He got what he deserved mate....Wednesday stood by him as much as they could...It was bloody ludicrous to try and excuse his actions....

Let me ask you all this...

Reverse the roles....Briscoe pushes Alcock over...Di Canio gets the winning chip in the last minute...

Every f.ooker would be slating Briscoe...even to this day....

Wednesday ban Briscoe...?..

We all sagely nod an' mutter....... "ahh well..had no choice..can't put hands on a ref can yer?"

Thats how it would pan out.....

Di Canio should have been banned for AGES!!!....because once you start excusing those actions..where do you go?...

West Ham... apparently is the answer...

Good old 'Arry...

It was a joke from beginning to end, and it goes further than Wilson or Richards...

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Judging by the way some of our fans currently want to jettison Forestieri, I assume they'll also have wanted rid of Paulo back in '98.

Nope. This feels like false equivalency to me for the sake of trying to make a petty point. 

Di Canio and Carbone were head and shoulders above anybody else at the club at the time. Even at 12 years old I remember knowing and saying we were probably done for once the latter left and I ended up being right. They were - along with Alexanderson - our only genuinely Premier League quality players and we should have supported both.

You can quite easily put together a starting XI right now that doesn't have Forrestieri in it with the players we have now. With Di Canio the club was reactionary and let him down. With Forrestieri - if you're referring to the Norwich fiasco - it was the opposite. 

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

Nope. This feels like false equivalency to me for the sake of trying to make a petty point. 

Di Canio and Carbone were head and shoulders above anybody else at the club at the time. Even at 12 years old I remember knowing and saying we were probably done for once the latter left and I ended up being right. They were - along with Alexanderson - our only genuinely Premier League quality players and we should have supported both.

You can quite easily put together a starting XI right now that doesn't have Forrestieri in it with the players we have now. With Di Canio the club was reactionary and let him down. With Forrestieri - if you're referring to the Norwich fiasco - it was the opposite. 

So..Theres one law for good players..and another for yer average ones?

You can't lay hands on a referee  no matter how much skill you have...It was a f.ookin' stupid thing to do

5 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

You can't lay hands on a referee  no matter how much skill you have...It was a f.ookin' stupid thing to do

No, that wasn't my point. I was responding to a poster who assumed those who aren't really bothered if we sell FF would also have hounded out Di Canio back then, which I don't think is accurate or even close to being the same thing.

Of course you discipline the player, but Cantona was (presumably?) disciplined by Man U without being hung out to dry at the clubs immediate and long term expense. 

22 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Exactly - the club did the right thing by standing by Forestieri and reintegrating our most talented player into the team. It's the reactionary fans who still won't forgive him; pester his wife on social media; write diatribes about him online etc... that I was poking fun at.

It's certainly not a petty point: it's highlighting a lesson from our club's recent past that a few of our fans could seemingly do with learning.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Exactly - the club did the right thing by standing by Forestieri and reintegrating our most talented player into the team. It's the reactionary fans who still won't forgive him; pester his wife on social media; write diatribes about him online etc... that I was poking fun at.

It's certainly not a petty point: it's highlighting a lesson from our club's recent past that a few of our fans could seemingly do with learning.

Fair enough - I think I may have misjudged.

And for what it's worth, I am personally indifferent on FF's future here, but I'm right there with you that anyone hassling him or his missus on Twitter etc are utter flaps. I just don't understand that entire mentality. 

Di Canios views on Wilson:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20218650

Di Canio "It was words from a frustrated player who didn't have a good relationship with him.

He was there young, he was worried, he didn't have a strong character to handle the situation and me"

"I didn't have a chance to stay under him but the feeling was, as an experienced player at the time and having played under many managers, my thought at the time was that it was his personality,"  continued Di Canio.

"He was very young, with an experienced footballer, with a big pedigree, with a big personality - it was difficult for him to handle the situation."

Cant say I disagree with Di Canio here.

36 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

So he got banned didn't he ?? What's your beef with him ? Players are doing far worse and in packs these days . So you wanted him out then ? He was passionate and played on the edge that's why he was so good , quite simply one of the most gifted players I've ever seen at S6 . Give a bit of slack it was a stupid thing to do he got punished move on . The club should have dealt with it better   What was your take on Cantona in the crowd ? 

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

You have not a jot of evidence that he engineered his move a totally ridiculous thing to say.

What he did in the heat of the moment was stupid and unprofessional.  

Having said that he was one of the few Wednesday players who was as good as any of his contemporaries, a sublime player.  Yes, a prima donna, a showman, an entertainer.  

In my book, any prima donna's who can back it up with ability and skill should be treated differently, I want to see the best players at Hillsborough and if the management has to work a little bit harder to pacify them, then so be it.  

If he had been a run of the mill decent/good player then get rid but he was special, unfortunately, the club was out of its depth and bottled it.

Fergie demonstrated the way to treat the big stage players. 

14 minutes ago, Holmes said:

You have not a jot of evidence that he engineered his move a totally ridiculous thing to say.

What he did in the heat of the moment was stupid and unprofessional.  

Having said that he was one of the few Wednesday players who was as good as any of his contemporaries, a sublime player.  Yes, a prima donna, a showman, an entertainer.  

In my book, any prima donna's who can back it up with ability and skill should be treated differently, I want to see the best players at Hillsborough and if the management has to work a little bit harder to pacify them, then so be it.  

If he had been a run of the mill decent/good player then get rid but he was special, unfortunately, the club was out of its depth and bottled it.

Fergie demonstrated the way to treat the big stage players. 

You've compared Wilson with Ferguson.

He couldnt wait to be in london and be the centre of attention.. Off like a shot.even tho we managed the situation like a bunch of amateurs.

My opinion is that he was using us as a stepping stone to bigger things and it would have taken a large contract to get him to stay..hes never shown loyalty where ever hes been.

3 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

And the best thing about it the original fight had feck all to do with him the older I get the more cynical I get,engineered is a good word