Dawson signs new Owls deal

Guest gibkevin

Guest gibkevin

From the website:

Cameron Dawson has committed his future to the Owls signing a new three-year contract.

The academy product signed a new deal on Wednesday morning that will run until summer 2020.

Having been on the books at Hillsborough since the age of 15, Dawson continues the long association with his boyhood club.

The 21-year-old has continued to make excellent progress with Wednesday, accelerated by a memorable 2016/17 campaign, where the rising talent made his senior league bow.

Dawson successfully rose through the S6 academy ranks before penning his first professional contract in April 2013.

The shot-stopper built up his experience with loan moves to Plymouth and Alfreton in 2013/14 and 2014/15, respectively.

Shortly into the 2016/17 campaign, League Two side Wycombe Wanderers came calling for the young custodian.

Dawson joined the Adams Park outfit, initially on an emergency seven-day loan, and made his debut for the Chairboys’ in their EFL Cup clash with Bristol City.

Four days later, Dawson made his first league appearance as Wycombe defeated Grimsby 2-1 in the League Two meeting.

Upon his return to Hillsborough, the Owls’ youth product made a lifelong dream become reality when he registered his maiden appearance for Wednesday – coming on from the bench in the home clash with Brighton.

He went on to feature on four occasions in 2016/17, including the 1-0 win over QPR – his first start and clean sheet.

Away from first team duty, Dawson also played his part in the Under-23s’ superb title-winning campaign last time out as Wednesday topped the PDL2 North Division and followed that by scooping the National Championship.

1 minute ago, AwokenGiant said:

Looking good on the goalkeeping front. 

I think we're looking almost excellent with one of the best (if not the best) in the division, as well as very promising youngsters - but we do need another keeper to push Westwood better than what Kean (and Price before him) could. When Westwood gets injured - and there does seem to be a certain fragility to him - we lack a genuinely capable deputy, and this has cost us points.

Wildsmith and Dawson are still lacking genuine experience and would ideally be better off getting a loan season elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

I think we're looking almost excellent with one of the best (if not the best) in the division, as well as very promising youngsters - but we do need another keeper to push Westwood better than what Kean (and Price before him) could. When Westwood gets injured - and there does seem to be a certain fragility to him - we lack a genuinely capable deputy, and this has cost us points.

Wildsmith and Dawson are still lacking genuine experience and would ideally be better off getting a loan season elsewhere.

agree look what good a loan did for jack butland

5 minutes ago, cowl said:

Totally agree!

Edited by AwokenGiant

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Ideally we should be loaning either Dawson or Wildsmith out next season, nothing better than a keeper getting experience in the lower leagues.

Half a season each. Everyone's a winner. 

Both Dawson and Wildsmith are going to be top keepers,  really don't think there's much between them 

1 can go out on loan and the other can easily be No2 to Westwood,  were in a fantastic place with goalkeepers and I wonder how much of it is down to having the likes of Andy Rhodes and Nicky Weaver around 

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I actually think Dawson is better than Wildsmith from what I've seen.  Both very good keepers and with young Willis coming through, all is looking good in that department!

Guest Ash76
3 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I actually think Dawson is better than Wildsmith from what I've seen.  Both very good keepers and with young Willis coming through, all is looking good in that department!

I agree with you but there's not much between them. Dawson edges it due his decision making and commanding presnce but Wildsmith is probably the better shot stopper 

7 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

2 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

I agree with you but there's not much between them. Dawson edges it due his decision making and commanding presnce but Wildsmith is probably the better shot stopper 

Maybe my judgement has been clouded by only seeing Dawson once and Wildsmith much more. Just think Dawson looks nervous as where Wildsmith looks composed. Not so much between them in terms of ability.