Running, err Round The Block Again II

Hope you get to run it mate.

Was hoping to get under 1:40 today but missed by 90 seconds. Hard work but the rain was welcome.

• Like 1

Signed myself up to do the Auckland half marathon on 1st November in a moment of madness and I've started my training now for it.

While I am active I'm not a huge runner and have been playing mostly power-based sports throughout my adult life. I'm therefore 110kg and hoping to shed a fair amount of that over the next 4 months, while gradually increasing my morning runs from 15 minutes to 20 to 25 and then be doing 30 minutes each morning as well as a longer run each Sunday, having still played rugby on Saturday.

With that as a rough plan will I be looking at being alright for the half in November? I'm an experienced sportsman but absolute running novice and I feel like I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

2 hours ago, Owl.1867 said:

Signed myself up to do the Auckland half marathon on 1st November in a moment of madness and I've started my training now for it.

While I am active I'm not a huge runner and have been playing mostly power-based sports throughout my adult life. I'm therefore 110kg and hoping to shed a fair amount of that over the next 4 months, while gradually increasing my morning runs from 15 minutes to 20 to 25 and then be doing 30 minutes each morning as well as a longer run each Sunday, having still played rugby on Saturday.

With that as a rough plan will I be looking at being alright for the half in November? I'm an experienced sportsman but absolute running novice and I feel like I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

You should be fine.....

I started running March 2019 (to shed a bit of timber) ended up doing over 850 km last year (did five 10kms in a week at one bit) which I was right chuffed with.

One thing I learnt was don't over do it because you will get aches and pains, I also ate more healthy stuff & drank less.

If your 110kgs and end up running regularly you will be surprised how much weight you lose.

Thanks all.

As I say, starting slowly now to build up and will be keeping a tracker of how that goes along with weight. As a rule I'm generally pretty fit between 105kg-115kg but just wanting to bring that down a bit as I don't think it'll be much fun dragging so much weight along the hilly bits of the course!

• Like 1

Anyone ever had problems with there Achilles? I used to go out 3 times a week but for the past few months I’ve been going 5 times a week. 

Went on a run the other day and Achilles started hurting on way back. Following day it was swollen and hurt to walk on. I also had a creaking noise in the Achilles when I move my foot.

few days rest and the swelling and pain has gone, but the creaking is still there. Sounds like Achilles tendinitis to me but that’s just me looking at google. Sudden increase of exercise and running a lot of hills, which I’ve been doing. 

Anyone had similar injuries and know how long they take to repair? I’m so impatient and just want to get back out running! 

Never had a problem with the Achilles so far. Calf pulls and knee ops are my thing!

So frustrating though, hope it clears up quickly.

@scram might be able to offer advice.

Edited by BIG D

Getting back in to the running now, doing a leg of the Sheffield Way Relay in a few weeks so cranking up the mileage for that.

Also told myself I'll go for a 10km+ run the day after every Wednesday victory, expected to have to do 3 all season, tomorrow I've got to do my second one already.

• Like 1
On 16/07/2020 at 22:47, S W F C said:

Anyone ever had problems with there Achilles? I used to go out 3 times a week but for the past few months I’ve been going 5 times a week. 

Went on a run the other day and Achilles started hurting on way back. Following day it was swollen and hurt to walk on. I also had a creaking noise in the Achilles when I move my foot.

few days rest and the swelling and pain has gone, but the creaking is still there. Sounds like Achilles tendinitis to me but that’s just me looking at google. Sudden increase of exercise and running a lot of hills, which I’ve been doing. 

Anyone had similar injuries and know how long they take to repair? I’m so impatient and just want to get back out running! 

I’ve had this - the creaking tendon is very similar to what was happening to me.  Then lockdown happened, I got lazy, stopped running and it cleared up.

Anyone running? 
I’ve had a bit of a slow start to the year thanks to a calf niggle which took almost 4 weeks to clear up altogether. Averaging about 25k a week for the last 3 weeks but struggling to get back to full fitness. Put about 5Ib on over Christmas and cannot shift it probably because I’m working from home! 

Started to get back into but then the snow happened.  I’ve put some right heft on during lockdown and wheeze going up the stairs, so it’s going to be a long road back.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

Started to get back into but then the snow happened.  I’ve put some right heft on during lockdown and wheeze going up the stairs, so it’s going to be a long road back.

It can feel like it mate but lighter mornings now and Spring is in the air.

Time to get cracking!

11 hours ago, BIG D said:

Anyone running? 
I’ve had a bit of a slow start to the year thanks to a calf niggle which took almost 4 weeks to clear up altogether. Averaging about 25k a week for the last 3 weeks but struggling to get back to full fitness. Put about 5Ib on over Christmas and cannot shift it probably because I’m working from home! 

Yes. I've only run intermittently this year, mainly due inclement weather, but I did 5K on Saturday, my first for several weeks (legs still sore), and hopefully with spring and longer evenings on the way I can get back into the routine. With normal life possibly on the horizon I want to get back into shape for whenever Parkrun resumes, plus I'm planning to take part in a 10K race this autumn so my plan is to start doing a mixture of 5 and 10k runs, ideally one of each per week.

• Like 1

Jared Campbell and Luke Nelson are the first to complete loop 1 and have set out on loop 2 with about 10h 40m on the clock.

8 others now completed loop 1 including Courtney Dauwalter and have set off on loop 2 just after 11 hours in.

Weather atrocious... rain, hail and thunder/ lightning

20 hours into the race.

Just 10 runners remain.

All still on loop 2.
1. Jared Campbell
2. Luke Nelson
3. Maggie Guterl
4. Courtney Dauwalter
5. Liz Canty
6. Jamil Coury
7. Wes Thurman
8. Scott Martin