Running, err Round The Block Again II

BIG D

1 hour ago, Ropeladder said:

I'll be dressing up as Santa for the parkrun at Bramhall tomorrow, it's something of a family tradition. 

Nothing else planned apart from getting rid of this annoying cold. 

Thinking of doing the canal path Santa Run tomorrow but don't know if I can really be bothered

11 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

Anyone doing any organised Xmas Eve / Boxing Day runs?

Nothing organisd but hoping to get out to Derwent for a steady 17k on Christmas Eve. Love running round there. 

Edited by BIG D

Finished the year with a total of 1,462 km run.

plans for the year ahead include

Sheffield Half Marathon

Derwent Dambusters Race

Round Sheffield Run

Sheffield 10k

Sheffield TenTenTen

Manchester Half Marathon

Percy Pud

I would like to try and fit a (flat) full marathon in somewhere but not sure I’m up to it tbh.

Had a slow start to the year with a chest cold at the beginning of January followed by an injury. 

100k down on this time last year but back into it now, did 24k round Derwent/Ladybower yesterday.

Sheffield HM in 4 weeks!

I’m down on my mileage from the same stage last year but I’ve been doing quite a bit. Not sure what shape I’m in for the HM though because the twice I’ve done the course recently it’s been snowing and quite slippy over the top. Saw a physio last Thursday and he told me not to run until I go back to see him this Wednesday but ok to do cardio stuff at the gym. It’s already feeling ok tbh so it won’t stop me doing the HM but just hoping it clears up quickly. 

Edited by BIG D

Took up jogging in September 17, entered the Dronfield 10k to give me motivation, don't really enter any events because I'm a very antisocial runner.

Was 17 stone when I started, now I'm 14st 8.

Was running 10k in around 53 mins which for a 48 year old bloke I thought wasn't bad.

Just started half marathon training this morning , moving me up from running 3x a week, to 4, today was a piece of wee wee , 30 mins easy run , so a nice steady 3 miles.

Will see if it gets harder before I bin it and go back to what I was doing before.

Been doing the cardio at the gym for the last couple of weeks. Tried a run on Tuesday and I’ve been fine since so fingers crossed for Sunday. As I said before I’m not really sure what shape I’m in but I feel ok and hoping to break 2 hours for the first time in sheffield. We’ll see. 

Edited by BIG D

On 06/04/2018 at 21:27, BIG D said:

The first half of the race is brutal

That was a right slog, miles 2-5 are harsh.

Much prefer the course to the old attercliffe/Don valley routes. I'd rather run up a hill to see the Peak District then plod through the wicker

Well done on the time

1:59.53

Happy to go under 2 hours and take 10 minutes off the practice run 5 days before, but I seriously need to get fit again.

As for the route, I absolutely hate it.  It has no redeemable features for me whatsoever.  It hurt so much getting to the top that I didn’t enjoy the levelling out and my legs were ruined for the downhill part.

It’s not a run, it’s a punishment.

Well done mate. That sounds like me last year, I  struggled all the way home from Dore. My time for the last 10k this year was 4 mins quicker and I felt ok until that last bit from around Waitrose. I was nearly crying on Pinstone St 

lol

So err, I guess I'm back.

Had a fun year, the highlight of which was undoubtedly doing the Spine Challenger in January. An absolutely fantastic experience even if training for it has taken away what little pace I had.

To be fair this has been compensated by my endurance  (both mental and physical) improving by the bucketful, and my nav skills being better than they've ever been.

No compensation when trailing in near the back of the Edale 20 field 'cause I can't run fast enough!

Anyway, in addition to the Spine, in my absence, I've done the Dukeries 40 and Escape from Meriden 24 hour, both of them pretty badly.

The Yorkshire 3 Peaks Ultra and the Ultra Tour of The Peak District, both of them reasonably. Actually fluked an age group win in UTPD but it was a statistical anomaly rather than outstanding running.

Also started the Ladybower 50 but only managed 20 miles due to being attacked by one of my beehives while not wearing wellies the night before.:ghoulguy:

Pretty happy with 20 miles considering I couldn't do my shoes up :biggrin:.

Anyway, mileage is good, and should top 1000 miles for the year so far, in the next week or so, and am trying to get a bit of speed back with some short sharp sessions.

Have planned to do UTPD again and also want to do The Goat in December, but other than that, nothing booked for definite. 

Am also marshalling events more this year which has been fun andwill carry on giving a bit back that way.

Hoping to get my Hill and Moorland Leaders Qualifications too and start taking groups out after that.

Despite not posting I have been reading, glad to see you're all cracking on.

All the best.

• Like 1