John Terry

Well, to be honest i'd think about it.

That goes against the grain of what's posted in this thread so far, but the honest truth is that I believe he would provide something we could not get otherwise.    Drive, commitment, leadership, and in all honesty a reputation.   The reputation alone could inspire others on the pitch.   

You might note I haven't said things such as vision, his tackling ability, speed etc.    I do think age and experience has a place in this game still.   

The price is high though, those quoted wages are quite something for 2nd tier football.   

1 minute ago, papalazarowl said:

Good player... but past it now... can't do 46+ games in this league... and if Villa (or whoever) signs him it's a major expensive gamble!

Neither could Viv Anderson when we signed him.

He still had a value and helped bring on a number of players, including a certain Chris Bart-Williams who was a totally different player to Anderson, but they just gelled and had a mentor/student type relationship from the off.  

I wouldn't count him out just yet, I think he's still got a few years left in him. Putting aside his integrity off the field, on it - he's a colossal leader who would add quality to any championship dressing room. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

2 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Neither could Viv Anderson when we signed him.

He still had a value and helped bring on a number of players, including a certain Chris Bart-Williams who was a totally different player to Anderson, but they just gelled and had a mentor/student type relationship from the off.  

This is a good comparison. Viv was a great player for us. He was a leader on the pitch and like you say a mentor to a few lads off the pitch.  He scored a few vital goals as well.   I could see John Terry performing a similar role. 

12 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Well, to be honest i'd think about it.

That goes against the grain of what's posted in this thread so far, but the honest truth is that I believe he would provide something we could not get otherwise.    Drive, commitment, leadership, and in all honesty a reputation.   The reputation alone could inspire others on the pitch.   

You might note I haven't said things such as vision, his tackling ability, speed etc.    I do think age and experience has a place in this game still.   

The price is high though, those quoted wages are quite something for 2nd tier football.   

A Mick Lions?

but those were the days before money changed everything