Forestieri

Guest RocketOwl

40 minutes ago, Warnocchio said:

On topic. His first season where he ripped the ball off defenders and defensive midfielders setting up goals was fantastic.

Other teams got wise to that though.

Did they though, or is he just another victim of our cautious approach to games

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Did they though, or is he just another victim of our cautious approach to games

I think at Hillsborough teams were aware we were setting traps for teams playing out of defence. Its not rocket science really. 

Putting all the sagas and emotions to one side there is still a footballing question.

Given our riches and different strengths up front if everybody is fit it will boil down to a choice of Hooper or FF as second striker. You can't build a team around someone who might spend 50% of the time on the bench and egos will come into play

Of course injury will come into play but it is still an issue 

(Unless we change the system, as there is zero chance of FF being a regular starter on the left of a 442)

Edited by oldishowl

39 minutes ago, Warnocchio said:

I think at Hillsborough teams were aware we were setting traps for teams playing out of defence. Its not rocket science really. 

Yes you may be right, and obviously Carlos thought so, which is why he changed the way we play Even so, Forestieri still managed to influence games, both in the number 10 role, or on the wing. He was more effective in both those roles than any of his rivals. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Yes you may be right, and obviously Carlos thought so, which is why he changed the way we play Even so, Forestieri still managed to influence games, both in the number 10 role, or on the wing. He was more effective in both those roles than any of his rivals. 

Totally agree. He ended up probably  being more effective on the wing,  at home at least and part of a midfield 5 away from home. When fully motivated.....

He used to carry the ball more though , he doesnt seem to do that as much which may be down to our revised style of play.

39 minutes ago, Warnocchio said:

Totally agree. He ended up probably  being more effective on the wing,  at home at least and part of a midfield 5 away from home. When fully motivated.....

He used to carry the ball more though , he doesnt seem to do that as much which may be down to our revised style of play.

I'm sure it is The first thought now seems to be to play the ball back. Personally, I don't mind the possession stuff, but what gets my goat, is when we are in an advanced position, we work the ball back, where eventually one of the centre backs, or the keeper, punts it aimlessly in the direction from which it came That is missing the whole point of possession football

10 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Putting all the sagas and emotions to one side there is still a footballing question.

Given our riches and different strengths up front if everybody is fit it will boil down to a choice of Hooper or FF as second striker. You can't build a team around someone who might spend 50% of the time on the bench and egos will come into play

(Unless we change the system, as there is zero chance of FF being a regular starter on the left of a 442)

These discussions reminded me though of Megsons interview on Sheffield live. His point wad that FF was so special and unique as he carried the ball for 30 yards or so and this was really important to our success. Much as I like Hooper, he doesnt do that. Put a man on himandhes out of the game.

20 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Would you be happy to have FF as a very regular second striker?

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I'm sure it is The first thought now seems to be to play the ball back. Personally, I don't mind the possession stuff, but what gets my goat, is when we are in an advanced position, we work the ball back, where eventually one of the centre backs, or the keeper, punts it aimlessly in the direction from which it came That is missing the whole point of possession football

Our game is apparently low pressure pressing. The working the ball back is about not losing the ball when too many of our players are commited in an advanced position. Come out and go back in fully controlled.

Much as this winds me up I do think.that it might be needed against the top teams at the very least.  Our players are brilliant at this part of the game. We became obsessed though.

Let's see how good the pigs are when exposed to this type of game.

4 minutes ago, Holmes said:

What's he doing and why would he need to do it?

Posted non-stop about being in the gym. Trying to show hes fit after his recent injury. Didn't post at all until the season ended, now it's endless.

Why would he need to post a video to show he's at a shopping centre in Watford? Specifically filming the sign. Of course he can go to Watford without meaning he's going back, but hes making sure everyone knows he's there.