Portugal roll call

Guest samowl
On 6/21/2017 at 00:17, dazaston said:

Myself 2 sons & nephew going the 18th to 21st from East Midlands to the Albufereira Jardim apartments.

Stayed there for 2004 Euros 

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

Them Jardim apartments are getting some bad reviews on trip advisor recently, glad we're only going self catering. 

Can't be any worse than some of the dives I've stayed in while working away in this country.Plenty of super bock & I will be fine lol

On a serious note over 300 British party/ idiots having been fighting over here, at the moment the police are on full alert riot shields guns being fired as warning shots,  all locals in the area are blaming the British. The strip is full of police in riot gear and they are not going to put up with any drunken behaviour especially from British people .

4 hours ago, saywended said:

On a serious note over 300 British party/ idiots having been fighting over here, at the moment the police are on full alert riot shields guns being fired as warning shots,  all locals in the area are blaming the British. The strip is full of police in riot gear and they are not going to put up with any drunken behaviour especially from British people .

Some sort of 7 day festival. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3889447/portugal-invasion-festival-albufeira-fight-british-portugese-riot-police-latest/

Hoping to give the boy a surprise trip after passing his exams at Uni,any tips never been to Portugal.How far is the ground from the town,looks a few miles on the local map .Is Albufeira the best place to stay as I've had some places recommended but they look a bit out of town.Cheers in advance for any info. 

1 hour ago, hodgybysea said:

Hoping to give the boy a surprise trip after passing his exams at Uni,any tips never been to Portugal.How far is the ground from the town,looks a few miles on the local map .Is Albufeira the best place to stay as I've had some places recommended but they look a bit out of town.Cheers in advance for any info. 

15 minute walk from main bars. 

Taxis are in plentiful supply and well priced.  

1 hour ago, hodgybysea said:

Albufeira is probably best place, been loads of times. There's 2 areas for bars and clubs, main strip and about a mile away old town  this is slightly quieter than strip. Albufeira has one of the best beaches in Europe called Falesia, stretches right up to Villamoura which is another great place.  

Edited by bradowl

Still no confirmation on Wednesday site about venue for Portimonense game. Website continues to say Portimao. I phoned the club a couple of days ago and they were not able to give a straight answer,only said to look on the website. Need to know because of hotel bookings etc. Can anyone give a definitive answer? Please.

1 hour ago, Snowyowl61 said:

Still no confirmation on Wednesday site about venue for Portimonense game. Website continues to say Portimao. I phoned the club a couple of days ago and they were not able to give a straight answer,only said to look on the website. Need to know because of hotel bookings etc. Can anyone give a definitive answer? Please.

That link on page 2 of this thread has been updated and says this...

I have spoken to my contact again about the Portimonense game. He was in discussion with Sheff Wed people last night. The game is definitely in Albufeira, ko 1900hrs.

The game with Vítoria Setubal is also in Albufeira as above, but almost wasn't as the people in Setubal didn't book the pitch etc. That one was nothing to do with us, but has now been sorted.

Matches to see this Summer in the Algarve for Pro Teams on pre season camps.
8th July. 11.30h
Ebbsfleet United V Shrewsbury Town.
Estadio Vila Real Sta António in Vila Real Sta Antonio.
12th July. 18.30h
Middlesbrough v Oxford United.
Estadio Nora. Ferreiras.
15th July 18.30
Hull City v Oxford United 
Estadio Nora , Ferreiras.
18th July. 18.30h
Hull City v Bristol Rovers
Estadio Nora, Ferreiras.
19th July. 19.00h
Sheffield Wednesday v SC Portimonense 
Estadio Municipal de Albufeira.
22nd July. Time to be confirmed 
Sheffield Wednesday v Victoria Setubal
Estadio Municipal de Albufeira.

Come and enjoy the matches and see the teams close up.

Guest Ferkorf

My euros just arrived, they have given me 4 €100 notes. I can remember it being a nightmare trying to spend 50's last year in spain

16 minutes ago, Beavertown said:

My euros just arrived, they have given me 4 €100 notes. I can remember it being a nightmare trying to spend 50's last year in spain

I went into The Money Shop a few years ago for €600 and they tried giving me a €500 note which I for some strange reason declined lol

I am lucky enough to spend much of the year in Portugal. I will be driving down to Albufeira from Central Portugal to see the Setubal Game. I was in Albufeira for the game against Braga just after Carlos was appointed. The result in pre-season Friendlies is usually meaningless. But I remember that game as it was when I saw the first signs of a team playing with some cohesion and flair after years of the poor stuff we had to endure BC. Last year we played Nacional and my main memory is the way the team bonded together playing for each other as a team rather than a bunch of individuals playing for themselves. For anyone going for the first time Portugal is a very welcoming and friendly country. One of the few places in the World where they actually like the English. They find the English drinking culture totally bizarre and the idea that people brawl in the street because of football even more bizarre. The Portuguese national police, the GNR are not to be messed with. They will tolerate boisterous behaviour but if goes beyond that they will go in hard. Very hard. Providing Owls supporters act in a reasonable manner they will have a great time. And for me just listening to all those South Yorkshire voices and that unique Wednesday banter is worth the trip whatever the Owls performance. It almost makes me want to go back to Sheffield. But then I look at the weather forecast and think. Nah. 

Edited by Portugal Owl
Typos