1 minute ago, ChapSmurf said:

Fantastic. Good for you and good luck to your wife with her Doctorate. Porto is a beautiful city, heavily influenced by the French during their occupation, but very vibrant with plenty of great places to eat and drink. Casagrícola is a great bar in the evening although it is a little out of the centre. I do appreciate you said you would be living out of Porto itself.

Once settled I can recommend a trip to the Douro, where all the Port grapes are grown. Just don't go to Nazare in winter. The largest wave ever surfed in the world (at the time, not sure about now), was there, only a few years ago.

w458w4-750x500.jpg

Also recommend Cavoeiro and Porches down on the coast..if you get the chance and if you play golf, then Quinta del Lago is worth a stay..its nice even if you don't play and want a good break.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, KieronsButtocks said:

Few of us going for this. Staying at the Vilanova which is on the albufieia strip 

Good spot for our official supporters bar. Albertu's.

2 of us going flying from leeds on 16th for the week gotta go to sell badges and programmes lol

2 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

Fantastic. Good for you and good luck to your wife with her Doctorate. Porto is a beautiful city, heavily influenced by the French during their occupation, but very vibrant with plenty of great places to eat and drink. Casagrícola is a great bar in the evening although it is a little out of the centre. I do appreciate you said you would be living out of Porto itself.

Once settled I can recommend a trip to the Douro, where all the Port grapes are grown. Just don't go to Nazare in winter. The largest wave ever surfed in the world (at the time, not sure about now), was there, only a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Also recommend Cavoeiro and Porches down on the coast..if you get the chance and if you play golf, then Quinta del Lago is worth a stay..its nice even if you don't play and want a good break.

Our main outdoor pursuit is fishing so we've already done some scouting via Youtube etc, there's some amazing videos of Nazare so I'm tempted to see what the surf fishing is like in those waves ;) The Douro seems to be an amazing river for fishing considering how heavily trafficked it is, full of barbel and zander and there's spots where the water is so clear you can see huge fishing swimming around waiting to bite your lure!

11 hours ago, Grimbarian said:

Our main outdoor pursuit is fishing so we've already done some scouting via Youtube etc, there's some amazing videos of Nazare so I'm tempted to see what the surf fishing is like in those waves ;) The Douro seems to be an amazing river for fishing considering how heavily trafficked it is, full of barbel and zander and there's spots where the water is so clear you can see huge fishing swimming around waiting to bite your lure!

I would imagine the surf fishing would be good. Bass most definitely and possibly bream too. I've tried myself but I am not really very good. I have 2 x 13' beach rods and to be honest I do it for something different to do. I have gone fishing on a boat, and it just got stupid. Bait up, drop your line, let it hit the bottom, bring it up a couple of feet, wait 10 seconds, "fish on", real it in, take the fish off, repeat. I ended up giving half my catch away and still ended up with 6 bream, 3 bass and a couple of rock bass too.

Don't forget to get a licence though. They are cheap, and the GNR can do spot checks, although they rarely do.

This isn't a trip for fishing or playing golf. 

You drink as much beer as possible and watch Wednesday.

If you stay sober enough you might pull a bird. 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

Don't forget to get a licence though. They are cheap, and the GNR can do spot checks, although they rarely do.

Yeah that's already in the plans as soon as we hit Portugal, as you say they're very cheap for a yearly saltwater and freshwater license so no excuse not to have one.

• Agree 1

Anyone out in Portugal on Tuesday 18th July and at a loose end as we are playing on Wednesday 19th you could go see ex Owl Chris Lines in action and tick off a new ground to boot if you didn't see Wednesday play there I think it was last year :-

To be played at Ferrieras FC ground with kickoff at 1830hrs.
Tuesday 18th July - Hull City v Bristol Rovers

4 minutes ago, owl-zat said:

Anyone out in Portugal on Tuesday 18th July and at a loose end as we are playing on Wednesday 19th you could go see ex Owl Chris Lines in action and tick off a new ground to boot if you didn't see Wednesday play there I think it was last year :-

To be played at Ferrieras FC ground with kickoff at 1830hrs.
Tuesday 18th July - Hull City v Bristol Rovers

As that the ground where we played Braga in 2015,  Very good turnout that night - 600+ from memory. 

Just now, ProgrammeMan said:

As that the ground where we played Braga in 2015,  Very good turnout that night - 600+ from memory. 

James , do you know who else is out there this summer ? 

For obvious commercial reasons 

58 minutes ago, ProgrammeMan said:

James , do you know who else is out there this summer ? 

For obvious commercial reasons 

You sad sad man lol forest green are there

1 hour ago, ProgrammeMan said:

I think it is. Supped far to much beer that day, we got lost walking back to Albertu's after game. :duntmatter:

9 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I think it is. Supped far to much beer that day, we got lost walking back to Albertu's after game. :duntmatter:

It were miles away !!!! 

I remember the hassle getting a taxi afterwards.  

Same night after in Faro , like a ghost town.  

15 hours ago, ProgrammeMan said:

It were miles away !!!! 

I remember the hassle getting a taxi afterwards.  

Same night after in Faro , like a ghost town.  

We went to Faro following night. Took us ages to get a taxi back to Albufeira after game. 

3 minutes ago, bradowl said:

We went to Faro following night. Took us ages to get a taxi back to Albufeira after game. 

That night in Faro , although the most boring game I've ever seen. 

The open air bar / ale seller at the front of the stand was something that needs introducing over here.  Absolute quality that.  

Are you producing programmes for the games Richard or just badges?

Was thinking of maybe knocking up something myself even though after time and costs to print / photocopy 100-200 copies it would be more to have a programme from the game rather than making money as there can't be much profit in it I guess.