Hardest Wednesday player ever

10 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

When I first started watching Wednesday, my Dad, a life-long W'ite, always talked of the 'hard men' and always mentioned  his lifelong favourite  full back, Ernie Blenkinsop, along with the half-back line of Sharpe, Millership and Burrows, and how tough they were. Then, in my early youth, along came one of the hardest men I ever saw in soccer -Norman Curtis. I also remember Tony Kay playing against one of soccer's real tough guys, Billy Bremner. His first tackle put Bremner against the hoardings - no more troble from Bremner. Gerry Young was also one of nature's gentle but tough brigade, who, similarly to Hutch of today would become a target for Referees.  

I never saw Curtis  but heard a story that Matthews hated playing against him as Curtis just followed him all over the pitch and clattered him whenever the ball in there direction  , stan came to play in a testimonial match(Dooley's?) and said to Curtis" norman theres a lot of people come to see me play tonight  so bugger off and let me " ...whether Curtis did  I don't know . 

39 minutes ago, manicowl said:

I wouldn't have got on the wrong side of Graham Coughlan. Chris Woods was allegedly quite handy as well.

chris woods got arrested  at rangers   when  one of  the old firm games  turned nasty