Hardest Wednesday player ever

Paul Warhurst. Hard. Swallowed his tongue in the first leg of the UEFA Cup and played the second leg and score with a header. Didn't suffer fools that bloke.

Was a bit mardy though.

Good story? Hardest player? Going through our history books for the most fearless nutcase to represent us, when he plays for us right now?

Ladies and gwntlemen, I give you Sir Samuel Edward Hutchinson. Could you imagine Sam shirking a challenge from any of the aforementioned hard men?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/23/sam-hutchinson-sheffield-wednesday-chelsea

12 hours ago, meadowview owl said:

Southampaton home 1993-1994 season when we got off to a bobbar start. 

Shows you on season review him walking off with it 

Unless he did it more than once, it was the LC semi at Blackburn,  the 4-2 game. He tried to run it off,  but apparently you can't do that with broken legs and he missed the rest of the season including all the Wembley games.

11 hours ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Plenty. Ernie Blenkinsop survived a coal mining roof falling in on him in his younger days, and Stanley Matthews said you knew whenever you were up against Ernie, has he would crunch into you early on to make sure you knew he was there. And he said Ernie was the toughest opponent and best defender he ever came up against.

Walter Millership was adept at centre forward and centre back, his strong sturdy play gave him the nickname 'Battleship' from Wednesday fans. The likes of Blenkinsop and Millership grew up working in the coal mines, they were proper tough working class football men.

When I first started watching Wednesday, my Dad, a life-long W'ite, always talked of the 'hard men' and always mentioned  his lifelong favourite  full back, Ernie Blenkinsop, along with the half-back line of Sharpe, Millership and Burrows, and how tough they were. Then, in my early youth, along came one of the hardest men I ever saw in soccer -Norman Curtis. I also remember Tony Kay playing against one of soccer's real tough guys, Billy Bremner. His first tackle put Bremner against the hoardings - no more troble from Bremner. Gerry Young was also one of nature's gentle but tough brigade, who, similarly to Hutch of today would become a target for Referees.