Porky Hoyland

41 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Tapping up young Hirst - or trying to - on Sheffield Live last night? If anybody is going to vend Hirst to a Chelsea or a City for a king's ransom, it's going to be us.

He's out of contract next summer and will be free to move anywhere he wants for a pittance of a fee set by tribunal. I'm afraid it's the player that holds all the power in this situation. If a good offer comes in and he wants to leave, we will sell him. 

Will the David Hirst situation/row come back to bite us on the backside? If he is been advised by his dad there is a good chance they could very well say sod Wednesday and move on...it would be a shame considering the time and effort the development squad as put into him to get him this far.

I think its a tad unprofessional from Biggs to allow such things to be said on his poxy show. Surely, by letting this 2 bit nobody to spout his mouth off about a situation Wednesday clearly wanted to keep private, hes cutting is nose off to spite his face as far as any future news stories are concerned. And you know he's only said it to stir it with Wednesday cos he's points scoring with old scummy adorers. 

If I was the club and Biggs came knocking for an interview i;d tell him to do one. 

It's a tricky one. Young Hirst has shown potential but hasn't proven anything yet. If Carlos is expected to deliver promotion, there may be no opportunity to give Hirst games. If Hirst doesn't get games, he will be off.

There are people that know a lot more about football and a lot more about business than us that will make the decisions on how to handle this.  Our manager and chairman aren't mugs. I believe that if he is good enough, George Hirst will get games and a suitable contract. 

I wonder how much the name "Hirst" is driving Owls' fans anxiety. Would we be so desperate for young George to sign a contract if his surname was different? Also, will the fact that his Dad is a legend at our club create a false expectation for this young chap? I think it already has. 

15 minutes ago, shandypants said:

It's a tricky one. Young Hirst has shown potential but hasn't proven anything yet. If Carlos is expected to deliver promotion, there may be no opportunity to give Hirst games. If Hirst doesn't get games, he will be off.

There are people that know a lot more about football and a lot more about business than us that will make the decisions on how to handle this.  Our manager and chairman aren't mugs. I believe that if he is good enough, George Hirst will get games and a suitable contract. 

I wonder how much the name "Hirst" is driving Owls' fans anxiety. Would we be so desperate for young George to sign a contract if his surname was different? Also, will the fact that his Dad is a legend at our club create a false expectation for this young chap? I think it already has. 

I agree with most of this. If he was good enough he'd be pushing for a first team place, and evidently he isn't at the minute. He's also not that young in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't be overly fussed to see him go given the quality we have in the senior squad. I don't watch much youth football myself but from what I've heard there's a number of strikers currently playing within his age categories that are considered to be better. If his name wasn't Hirst he'd get about 10% of the attention he does now.

5 minutes ago, Ballmeist said:

I agree with most of this. If he was good enough he'd be pushing for a first team place, and evidently he isn't at the minute. He's also not that young in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't be overly fussed to see him go given the quality we have in the senior squad. I don't watch much youth football myself but from what I've heard there's a number of strikers currently playing within his age categories that are considered to be better. If his name wasn't Hirst he'd get about 10% of the attention he does now.

18 and end of discussion

40 minutes ago, shandypants said:

The name 'Hirst 'has meant that he has had a lot more attention but there are also facts to consider regardless of his surname.  He is being picked for England age groups, he has scored 40 goals in a season. That is not something that has happened in the last 35-40 years.  Its not as though all his goals have been scored at U18 football either. He has scored more at U23 and England age group level.

6 minutes ago, martyn8484 said:

It's time to give youth a chance, every other bloody club does it. Why do we have such a poor record when it comes to pushing our kids through. Give the lad a pre-season with the seniors and take it from there.

Every other club? Do they?  Even our local rivals have a player, Brooks, in the England squad and he is yet to play a League game for them and they have been playing as low as League 1 football.

18 minutes ago, martyn8484 said:

It's time to give youth a chance, every other bloody club does it. Why do we have such a poor record when it comes to pushing our kids through. Give the lad a pre-season with the seniors and take it from there.

No they don't. 

Why do you think so few youth products make the grade now. 

Look at most of our top teams and you'll barely find a youth product in the starting line up. 

Think he will sign a new contract soon!!! the big danger is if Arsenal come in'and make a substantial bid for him'i know they watched him on several occasions last season'and were one of the prem teams with scouts at the u23 final at Hillsborough.