Jump to content
Ali G

Supporting Wednesday and not from Sheffield

Recommended Posts

Now I'm all for you should support your local club, however sometimes you have links through family. I personally grew up in Rotherham,about a mile from Sheffield. My old man took me ti Hillsborough when I was 4, My Dad is a born and bred Sheffielder. With the locality and family ties to Sheffield I was never going to support anyone else, in a way totally out of my hands.

One thing that really fooks me off with the bitterness Roth fans with Wednesday is claiming Rotherham Owls aren't real Wednesday fans as not from Sheffield and not supporting the town you live in or born in football team.

One particular person constantly refers to this when engaged in any banter.

 

Anyone else have this, and what's the best response to this ridiculous claim!

  • Agree 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FROM Halifax and support Wednesday as my Dad couldn't stand going to Meadowhall so took us kids to Hillsborough. 

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I support Wednesday, I also support my local second tier side here in the states. It doesn't matter where you're from, but how much passion you show.

  • Agree 7
  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

                 WAWAW.

  

                                  lol

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, gingerknob1 said:

I'm from the Lake District and no way am I supporting kendal town 

 

I always smile when the fans of tiny teams sing that song...

 

We're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen

And its Kendall Town, Kendall Town FC.......

 

But hey, people in glass houses....not exactly Chelsea or Madrid are we?

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest gibkevin

I was born in Peterborough (dont judge me), but my grandad was a mad Wednesday fan and gave me all sorts of memorabilia (including the (1966 FA Cup final program) so have always been an Owl and proud of it.

 

Now I live in Gibraltar and there are about 10 of us here...

 

Always got one Wednesday top on or another and yes the amount of abuse I got when we lost in the playoffs was unreal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, JanikowskiSWFC said:

I support Wednesday, I also support my local second tier side here in the states. It doesn't matter where you're from, but how much passion you show.

Errrrrm oooooooo kaaaaay!!!

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is with Rotherham supporters I'm sure more Wednesday fans who live in Rotherham would be more supportive of them if they weren't totally obsessed with Wednesday and Wednesday fans living in Rotherham

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm an armchiar Wednesday fan from Stafford. i have managed to see quite a few games in the past. even got to se us win the play off final v Hartlepool. 

unfortunately money is'nt as good as it was due to family. so games are rare atm. so it's Stafford Rangers for me. i'm hoping to make the odd game next season though.

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ali G said:

Anyone else have this, and what's the best response to this ridiculous claim!

Two word answer, second word is off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ali G said:

Now I'm all for you should support your local club, however sometimes you have links through family. I personally grew up in Rotherham,about a mile from Sheffield. My old man took me ti Hillsborough when I was 4, My Dad is a born and bred Sheffielder. With the locality and family ties to Sheffield I was never going to support anyone else, in a way totally out of my hands.

One thing that really fooks me off with the bitterness Roth fans with Wednesday is claiming Rotherham Owls aren't real Wednesday fans as not from Sheffield and not supporting the town you live in or born in football team.

One particular person constantly refers to this when engaged in any banter.

 

Anyone else have this, and what's the best response to this ridiculous claim!

Interesting post. Lived most of my life outside Sheffield (quite a few different cities) and always followed the Owls, some years more away than home due to circumstances. Travelled a lot on trains to matches often with supporters of other teams and found Owls team and fans get loads of respect.  Never had any suggestion that I'm not a true Owl from the supporters in Sheffield.  Grew up listening to tales of the 1935 FA Cup from my Grandad so I'd say my roots are as strong as anyone's. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ali G said:

The thing is with Rotherham supporters I'm sure more Wednesday fans who live in Rotherham would be more supportive of them if they weren't totally obsessed with Wednesday and Wednesday fans living in Rotherham

 

It's a Big club/little club thing.

 

It's also Sheffield  v Rotherham in the eyes of some people !

 

Always in the shadow. .........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Rotherham originally Ali and can share your pain. Grandad used to take me all over South Yorks to games. First 2 at Hillsborough I saw Pele and George Best, while at Rotherham it would have been Ron Wigg, no brainer really. Used to be a section of owls fans in the limit who quite vigorously didn't like a Rotherham bum supporting their team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm from Congleton in Cheshire and none of my family follow football, so had no influence on who to support.

 

When chosing a team to support the obvious choice was Wednesday.

 

WAWAW

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

From Rotherham originally Ali and can share your pain. Grandad used to take me all over South Yorks to games. First 2 at Hillsborough I saw Pele and George Best, while at Rotherham it would have been Ron Wigg, no brainer really. Used to be a section of owls fans in the limit who quite vigorously didn't like a Rotherham bum supporting their team.

Forgot to add that his only stipulation was that I couldn't support Leeds.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Havin-a-hoot said:

Not myself, as I am a born and bred Sheffielder, but the missus' Grandad has supported Wednesday for almost 60 years from Vannersborg in Sweden, got into us through the TV, which became a lifelong passion. Saw his first game live last year at something like 90 years old. 

He sounds like a top bloke.

 

I am picturing him as an elderly Roland Nilsson.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Big Rons Hairspray said:

He sounds like a top bloke.

 

I am picturing him as an elderly Roland Nilsson.

He truly is actually. Speaking of Roland Nilsson, got to love the look of shock from the in-laws when I showed them my Roland Nilsson signed ball lol 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...