5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Agreed.

Play Hutch in CB and FF wide and the team looks like a team.

Add Bannan to that list. Three of our most important and influencial players, none of them played in their best roles. 

Our spine of Westwood, Lees, Bannan, Hutchinson, Lee, FF is as good as anything in the league 

That cost us £3m

The additions to compliment this bunch have been woeful on a whole 

Which cost us £35m+?

1 minute ago, torres said:

Our spine of Westwood, Lees, Bannan, Hutchinson, Lee, FF is as good as anything in the league 

That cost us £3m

Which cost us £35m+?

:duntmatter:

It certainly has been woeful.

Pace is an interesting discussion, but sometimes we don't see  what we already have - Hunt, Reach and Hutch all have pace, and if they played at the back could ensure at least this area is covered.

I remember when Big Ron brought in Viv Anderson in 1991 - we had two good but pretty static CHs and Viv, even at 33/34 brought a totally different option that improved the team. Obviously his experience and quality was important, but his pace was a major attribute.

1 hour ago, Rogers said:

Has Fox been written off? Or do people think he'll settle in and play next season

Thought fox was a odd signing - gonna have to shown a bit more next season for me.

I keep saying

3 1 4 2 is what we need to go with

Westwood

Lees. hutch. new (I like Harley Dean at Brentford, but would take Hanley or Ayala)

new def Mid (Williams at Reading would be nice)

new RW with pace (or Matias if he can stay fit)

Lee

abdi or Bannan

fessi

Rhodes

Hooper

subs

wildsmith

reach/Pudil/Jones/Hunt

bannan or Abdi

wallace

winnall

fletcher

Loovens / Fox 

For me a 3-5-2 would work perfectly, use Hutch as a CB with Lees and Hanley/Ayala. 

Hunt and Reach as wing backs.

Someone like Jackson Irvine to sit and allow Abdi/Bannan and Lee to play further up.

Forestieri and Rhodes/Hooper up front.

1 hour ago, torres said:

That cost us £3m

Which cost us £35m+?

Spine suggests down the middle.

I agree Lees and Hutch (as CB duo) Lee and Bannan (as CM duo), and FF wide left is a truly fabulous set up. But absolutely not with FF as striker.

Edited by Holmowl

4 hours ago, torres said:

It's weird, we all know we need at least 2 new players (if it's a back 4) in a centre back and STILL a left back, yet our defensive record is still up there with the best.

While despite spending a fortune our forwards on a whole have been less impressive 

Because the defending has been done by the team due to the lacking quality in defence thus having an impact on our attacking play.

Carlos said in an interview towards the end of last season that the defence isn't how he'd like and needed protecting...

14 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

Because the defending has been done by the team due to the lacking quality in defence thus having an impact on our attacking play.

Carlos said in an interview towards the end of last season that the defence isn't how he'd like and needed protecting...

Is this the same Carlos that used to say he wasn't interested in clean sheets but would rather win a game 5-4 than 1-0? I find it hard to forgive Carlos's negative tactics over both legs against Huddersfield given the resources he has been given especially in terms of forwards. A situation alas that was all too familiar last season.

We played Hutch at centre back in the first part of the season.

It didn't work.

We were weak in the air.

He was played left centre back when he can't pass the ball with his left foot. 

Carlos realised his mistake and changed it and this is why we are trying to sign two centre backs.

He ain't going to play Hutch centre back

19 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Is this the same Carlos that used to say he wasn't interested in clean sheets but would rather win a game 5-4 than 1-0? I find it hard to forgive Carlos's negative tactics over both legs against Huddersfield given the resources he has been given especially in terms of forwards. A situation alas that was all too familiar last season.

He did early in his tenure, and tried to show that on the pitch...

27 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

He did early in his tenure, and tried to show that on the pitch...

Now he's actually got more tools to do the job, but doesn't do it. Might has well have bought more defenders last year and saved money on the forwards, Rhodes and Winnall wasted whilst we might as well not have bothered with Buckley and Macmanaman considering the cost in relation to their game time. Recruitment has been poor and does not seem to have been down to any noticeable plan.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

Didn't think we was that bad defensively last year - didn't we nearly equal our clean sheet record? For me, the problem we had last season was replacing our long-term injured players - i.e. Hooper and Lee. I still believe if Hooper would have stayed fit we'd have beaten Hudds and then Reading in the final. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

1 hour ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Now he's actually got more tools to do the job, but doesn't do it. Might has well have bought more defenders last year and saved money on the forwards, Rhodes and Winnall wasted whilst we might as well not have bothered with Buckley and Macmanaman considering the cost in relation to their game time. Recruitment has been poor and does not seem to have been down to any noticeable plan.

Defenders were sought, but none within the parameters were available.

Easy to mention recruitment after the event, unfortunately try before you buy isnt always an option...

19 hours ago, oldishowl said:

We played Hutch at centre back in the first part of the season.

It didn't work.

We were weak in the air.

He was played left centre back when he can't pass the ball with his left foot. 

Carlos realised his mistake and changed it and this is why we are trying to sign two centre backs.

He ain't going to play Hutch centre back

I think the biggest problem in moving Hutch was that we missed him in midfield.  Without him we lack a physical presence / leader in midfield; someone that can win the ball and earn the right to play.

If we switch him back into defence we need to bring in another central midfielder (which we need anyway) and, ideally, he should be competing with Lees for the right sided centre back slot to partner either Loovens or a new left sided centre back.

Edited by York_Owl

It's a shame, but I suppose, a nice problem to have. In Hutchinson and Lees we have two excellent right sided centre backs at this level, so for me it's either or. Either one of them alongside Loovens, or our, as yet unnamed left sided defender, would be a good fit. Only in an emergency, would I play both as a pair

Edited by gurujuan

On 10/06/2017 at 08:56, wilyfox said:

I think we're bidding for many, hoping to sign one. Many of our targets probably won't be available. 

Probably right, looks like went all in on Hanley last season and were left short when we missed out on him. Think we need 2 though.

40 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

Probably right, looks like went all in on Hanley last season and were left short when we missed out on him. Think we need 2 though.

Depends on what role we have planned for Hutchinson I suppose

19 hours ago, slinger208b said:

Defenders were sought, but none within the parameters were available.

Easy to mention recruitment after the event, unfortunately try before you buy isnt always an option...

Brighton, Fulham, Huddersfield and Barnsley all managed it, though Duffy was a relatively high cost at Brighton.

All our best defenders were actually here before Carlos came, and at relatively low cost, and arguably he hasn't signed an outstanding one yet, so yes I think it is possible to be critical of recruitment over what is now two years. Also Mulgrew was an option last summer but he went to Blackburn on a free, I believe.

Edited by Beauchief Owl