So with us being knocked back in our efforts to get Sean Morrison and the strong rumours of our interest in both Grant Hanley and Daniel Ayala, does this signal a new look defence CB pairing or maybe a move to a back three? 

We were tight at the back last season but in my view this was detrimental to other areas of the pitch and a significant lack of goals to the previous season. One thing the three names mentioned bring is goals and more of a presence in the opposition box. 

I'm an advocate of playing three at the back as I think it suits our personnel better, especially the wide areas. I like the idea of Hutchinson in the centre of that three as he's the ball player and quickens the tempo. Do we think Carlos will eventually bring in one or even two of the names mentioned?

I think we can rule out three at the back, or we would be looking for a lot more centre backs. Personally, I'd like us to find the defensive/midfield reinforcements that allow us to free up the creative/attacking side of our game.

It's weird, we all know we need at least 2 new players (if it's a back 4) in a centre back and STILL a left back, yet our defensive record is still up there with the best.

While despite spending a fortune our forwards on a whole have been less impressive 

41 minutes ago, torres said:

It's weird, we all know we need at least 2 new players (if it's a back 4) in a centre back and STILL a left back, yet our defensive record is still up there with the best.

While despite spending a fortune our forwards on a whole have been less impressive 

This is because the whole team is set up to defend. If the forwards were allowed to play their natural game, I don't think we'd be anywhere near as solid

22 minutes ago, torres said:

That's the balance that Carlos needs to find next season. Our free flowing game from two seasons ago was made harder last season by a number of sides setting up with numbers behind the ball.

I can't see him playing 3 at the back. I would use it as an option myself but can't see Carlos changing that much. If we were too tho we would need Lees at the centre of the 3 as he is the weakest with the ball. His job would be to simply defend and pass the ball 5-10 yards in any direction... then Hutch to the righ and a new left footed centre back (hopefully) to the left to push forward and almost play as full backs going forward... with Hutch's range of passing this would suit him better.

However I do believe it will be a case of a new CB to partner Lees Loovens as third choice and Hutch in CM in a back 4. I wouldn't mind this as long as there not too deep. Personally at home in a 442 I would go Lee and Abdi in CM and control the ball. Basically attack 

35 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

This is because the whole team is set up to defend. If the forwards were allowed to play their natural game, I don't think we'd be anywhere near as solid

And the reason why we are not getting the best from our forwards, surely this has to change, especially at home, think we need a solid and more dominant midfield.

52 minutes ago, torres said:

The attackers are asked to defend first and foremost. Signing better quality defenders will allow us to stay solid and allow the creative players to flourish. 

39 minutes ago, debram said:

And the reason why we are not getting the best from our forwards, surely this has to change, especially at home, think we need a solid and more dominant midfield.

Yes, it has to change. One thing though, although it is nominally a 4-4-2 system, in reality it is anything but. For the most part it is a 4-4-1-1 with two blocks squeezing the space, and forcing the opposition to go through the middle where they are outnumbered by our narrow wingers. I've seen the system used a few times in Spain, and it can be effective. It is though, dependant on your main forward being strong and mobile, and usually given width by quick full backs. As we don't have either, a forward who can do that, or full backs with real pace, I'm not sure the system can take us much further

I think these various links follows a pattern of our previous transfer activity, in that we target three or so, with one eventually coming in. Having said that, whilst I think we need to replace Loovens as first team choice, the numbers coming in is dependent on Hutch being ring fenced for CH this season and we need some assurances that his fitness can be managed.

Added to this, we have moved on three squad CHs so we could bring in two, but one of these would be a squad replacement; not a £3m level player.

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, it has to change. One thing though, although it is nominally a 4-4-2 system, in reality it is anything but. For the most part it is a 4-4-1-1 with two blocks squeezing the space, and forcing the opposition to go through the middle where they are outnumbered by our narrow wingers. I've seen the system used a few times in Spain, and it can be effective. It is though, dependant on your main forward being strong and mobile, and usually given width by quick full backs. As we don't have either, a forward who can do that, or full backs with real pace, I'm not sure the system can take us much further

Agreed, lets hope he gets it right this time

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think it's largely down to the lack of pace throughout the team going forward that doesn't allow us to do anything else but be compact 

In our regular "442" (which we know isn't that rigid) the attacking 4 for large periods has been 

Wallace 

Reach

Fletcher

Hooper/Rhodes/Winnall

A slower bunch you could not wish to see!

Meaning teams now know you can have a high defensive line against us and condense the play because we can't get behind them 

Think back to last season when more often than not, Joao made a big impact from the bench with his pace after some dreadful first half team displays 

Even Helen made a difference at times through pure running ability 

43 minutes ago, torres said:

I think it's largely down to the lack of pace throughout the team going forward that doesn't allow us to do anything else but be compact 

In our regular "442" (which we know isn't that rigid) the attacking 4 for large periods has been 

Wallace 

Reach

Fletcher

Hooper/Rhodes/Winnall

A slower bunch you could not wish to see!

Meaning teams now know you can have a high defensive line against us and condense the play because we can't get behind them 

Think back to last season when more often than not, Joao made a big impact from the bench with his pace after some dreadful first half team displays 

Even Helen made a difference at times through pure running ability 

Thats a shocking indictment of our recruitment policy, that after spending £20m+ we have not been able to add pace to several areas of the side! a side that had reached the play off final the previous season. The likes of Fulham, Reading and Huddersfield managed it by spending far less. Whoever was responsible for our recruitment policy, quite frankly, needs to be following the medical staff out of the door

35 minutes ago, torryowl said:

our two best players are hutch & FF and for me where we play them will have the biggest effect on whether we are going to play in a more expansive way or have more of the same  

Agreed.

Play Hutch in CB and FF wide and the team looks like a team.

Add Bannan to that list. Three of our most important and influencial players, none of them played in their best roles. 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Thats a shocking indictment of our recruitment policy, that after spending £20m+ we have not been able to add pace to several areas of the side! a side that had reached the play off final the previous season. The likes of Fulham, Reading and Huddersfield managed it by spending far less. Whoever was responsible for our recruitment policy, quite frankly, needs to be following the medical staff out of the door

I couldn't agree more.

We have had a real chance this season to build a really good strong squad with the money we've spent, yet in my opinion we still need EXACTLY the same as we did this time last year. 

The recruitment this season could cost us not only now but for many years yet unfortunately