Roland Nilsson first player on the dream wall

@Milan Missing Marble I think you summed up how I feel about it too. 

I can see both sides of the argument, and as Joel said it's so hard to pick just 10 players from 150 years of history. Most of our clubs success came before the 1940's so they really are the true greats of our club, however if the painting was made up of 8 or 9 players from that era I suppose the fans wouldn't be able to identify with it as much, so I completely understand the 60's - 90's players in there. 

I know I've banged on about Andrew Wilson in this thread, I just feel his record shouldn't be ignored so it would be a shame to not see him there imo. 

Still looking forward to the end product though, I'm sure it will look unbelievable. 

2 hours ago, RichieB said:

@Milan Missing Marble I think you summed up how I feel about it too. 

I can see both sides of the argument, and as Joel said it's so hard to pick just 10 players from 150 years of history. Most of our clubs success came before the 1940's so they really are the true greats of our club, however if the painting was made up of 8 or 9 players from that era I suppose the fans wouldn't be able to identify with it as much, so I completely understand the 60's - 90's players in there. 

I know I've banged on about Andrew Wilson in this thread, I just feel his record shouldn't be ignored so it would be a shame to not see him there imo. 

Still looking forward to the end product though, I'm sure it will look unbelievable. 

Looking at some of the artists other works, I'm sure regardless of who is on the completed scene that it will look amazing, as it is a clever and interesting concept. However it would be disappointing if some of the club's most successful and significant club greats aren't included. I strongly agree that Andrew Wilson should be included, has he's our all time top scorer and record appearance holder too.

Someone mentioned that the player next to Johnny Fantham might be Ernie Blenkinsop. If so, then that would delight me, has he was a true club great, a working class boy that worked in the mines and became a club and international legend. Stanley Matthews called him his toughest opponent, and from what I have read about him he was a physically strong player but also he was a full back ahead of his time, strong in defence but also tidy on the ball and athletic. He's also highly regarded at Liverpool, where he spent a short spell of his career after he left us, and he was up until the 60s regarded as one of England's finest international full backs. He certainly as the pedigree and history to be rightfully included, as it could be argued that he's one of the very best players we have ever had.

But a strong case could also be made for some of the club's other early successful stars, especially Spiksley; Crawshaw, Andrew Wilson and Rimmer. Fred Spiksley, was a true club great and arguably our best ever player? He was one of the earliest stars of the game. A working class hero, a almost modern in stature and playing style goal scoring flying winger. Among his remarkable achievements he scored what might have been the fastest goal ever scored in a Cup Final and possibly the first ever international hat trick for England. Along with club and international team mate Tommy Crawshaw and Scottish goal scoring phenomenon Andrew Wilson, he played a significant part in the club's early success. Whilst Ellis Rimmer another goal scoring flying winger in the club's second phase of success in the 20's and 30's, alongside the likes of Blenkinsop and Starling, achieved the remarkable feat of scoring in every round of the FA Cup in our last FA Cup success back in 1935.

19 hours ago, torryowl said:

if that's so then it's not really a celebration painting of our 150 years is it .........I can understand why you would vote for hirst and waddle but without cawley the club probably wouldn't exist so he would certainly outrank just about anyone when it comes down to it .

I wonder if fans have been given a vote for 10 players and the club has discretion to add additional players?

On 2017-6-19 at 19:00, TrickyTrev said:

Absolutely pal and it just goes to show how spoilt us Owls fans have been throughout the generations that we can argue over the merits of having a player of Des Walkers calibre in a dream 11.

I just think there's a danger of this side being dominated by players from the 90's when before that era the club has so much rich history which includes 4 league title wins.

Also I'm happy to be corrected but I think all of Des's England caps came before he joined Wednesday.

On 2017-6-19 at 19:07, Whitechapel Owl said:

Yeah they did all come before he joined us. I agree about the 90's thing, I hope we don't see it too dominated by any era. I fully expect there will be at least one player from the current era, Semedo or Bullen. Are they worthy? I don't think so but if we want a spread of time it's hard not to really. Walker only takes us up to 2001 so disregarding the last 16 years is a large part of our history really even though it's been a disappointing time.  I think it will be Bullen.

Des won his 59th and final cap v San Marino in THAT game whilst a Wednesday player.  The previous 58 came with Forest and Sampdoria.  Amazing to think that he was only 27 when he won his cap.  After Graham Taylor Venables came in and never picked him.

10 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I wonder if fans have been given a vote for 10 players and the club has discretion to add additional players?

That's what I have been wondering too.

As a team is 11 not 10, and there should be room for subs and a famous manager or something as well. 

Looking at the artists other works, some of them have trophies in them and what looks like coaches.

I hope after the 10 most popular players are selected, that the club might be able to add a few other significant club legends that missed out but deserve to be included.

6 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Would these 10 players be the most prominent in the picture and there would be others in the background etc?

That is possible, as looking at the artists gallery, I know he's done paintings of teams from other sports but some of them do have what looks like team photos in the background or past players, coaches and trophies, even club mascots, etc: http://www.jamiecooperartist.com/new-gallery/

3 hours ago, DesWalker said:

Delighted to see Spiksley included. Arguably our greatest ever player and a true club and international legend. One of the game's first stars and a remarkable player and character. Hope we will see the likes of Blenkinsop, Rimmer and Andrew Wilson included too but it's now taking shape and at least there's one player from Wednesday's most successful years.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

Great to see Wednesday and England legendary full back Ernie Blenkinsop included. A true club legend, working class lad and a colossal player from the clubs most successful years. Stanley Matthews called him the toughest opponent he ever faced, he would crunch into you early on in the game, so that you knew he was there. He was described as a precursor to the modern day football back: tidy on the ball, athletic and adept at attacking as well as defensively. He also grew up down the pits as a young lad and almost died before he became famous, it's written that a roof fell in on him when he was a young lad working in the mines.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

excellent addition.

From Cooper's blog:

"Ernest 'Blenky' Blenkinsop was a stalwart of the Owls defence for over a decade during the 1920's and 30's. Here in the Dream Scene I have him handing a well earned beer to another club champ who covered perhaps even more ground than him.

Often I have to cobble together two or three images to construct one figure, but sometimes the perfect photo comes along which needs minimal adjustment.

This was the case with Ernest. I found a great photo of him shaking hands at the start of an International game. It only needed a repositioning of the arm and a tilt of the head and he was now passing a beer to a team mate rather than shaking hands with a rival... and some stripes of course!!"

Covered more ground than him? Who's that? Carlton? If so and there's 4 spaces left to fill there'll definitely be some top players missing.

Kind of wish we could just see who's on it now!

2 hours ago, Internationowl said:

excellent addition.

From Cooper's blog:

"Ernest 'Blenky' Blenkinsop was a stalwart of the Owls defence for over a decade during the 1920's and 30's. Here in the Dream Scene I have him handing a well earned beer to another club champ who covered perhaps even more ground than him.

Often I have to cobble together two or three images to construct one figure, but sometimes the perfect photo comes along which needs minimal adjustment.

This was the case with Ernest. I found a great photo of him shaking hands at the start of an International game. It only needed a repositioning of the arm and a tilt of the head and he was now passing a beer to a team mate rather than shaking hands with a rival... and some stripes of course!!"

Covered more ground than him? Who's that? Carlton? If so and there's 4 spaces left to fill there'll definitely be some top players missing.

Kind of wish we could just see who's on it now!

Well done @Internationowl you nailed it with the Blenkinsop picture.