Roland Nilsson first player on the dream wall

Just now, KivoOwl said:

Ronnie Starling.

Six left - Starling is one of them - five others should be Crawshaw, Spiksley, Wilson, Blenkinsop and Cawley

No players from pre 1960 yet which is baffling

Not really - assuming fans voted for this?

The audience - only seen this Dream Scene on the Internet - will be heavily weighed towards post-1960 players due to the demographic of people voting (the majority of people who witnessed the post-1960 Wednesday team won't be online).

I'm a Wednesday fan, mid-30's, and I don't know the last two on your list and would vote Hirst and Waddle above them any day (because they are the main players from my era).

Disappointed there's no one from before 1960 yet

All our major honours except one league cup triumph happened pre 1960, yet no one is represented

Ellis Rimmer won the top division twice with Wednesday, there are many players before my time who justify inclusion before Des Walker, fine player though he was, I don't regard him a Wednesday legend

I said before the vote began, this was too important to leave it to the vote of supporters

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

3 hours ago, Russy said:

Any guesses on the one to the left of him?

Capture.PNG

I would say that that's Ernie Blenkinsop. Few reasons.. He's a great from a successful era not covered yet ('30s). Cooper said Des was after a drink from another defensive legend in the painting; Ernie was a defender, and after football he worked as a pub landlord.

Oh yeh and there's this..

post-513-1263198753_thumb.thumb.jpg.8e97a28ad354a5cd3260744e73cdffd3.jpg

I am available for any private investigative work.

I love the fact the club are doing this by the way, i think it will look brilliant, regardless of the "he should have been in, he shouldn't have been in".

UTO

2 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Not really - assuming fans voted for this?

The audience - only seen this Dream Scene on the Internet - will be heavily weighed towards post-1960 players due to the demographic of people voting (the majority of people who witnessed the post-1960 Wednesday team won't be online).

I'm a Wednesday fan, mid-30's, and I don't know the last two on your list and would vote Hirst and Waddle above them any day (because they are the main players from my era).

if that's so then it's not really a celebration painting of our 150 years is it .........I can understand why you would vote for hirst and waddle but without cawley the club probably wouldn't exist so he would certainly outrank just about anyone when it comes down to it .

40 minutes ago, Internationowl said:

I would say that that's Ernie Blenkinsop. Few reasons.. He's a great from a successful era not covered yet ('30s). Cooper said Des was after a drink from another defensive legend in the painting; Ernie was a defender, and after football he worked as a pub landlord.

Oh yeh and there's this..

Great find. My grandad used to rave about him, so good to have someone from the last title winning team in there.

Hope the artist captures the magnificence of those shorts too. Don't make 'em like that any more.

3 hours ago, joelswfc said:

Can't argue with having the club's highest goalscorer on there. Looks like this is shaping up well, although not sure announcing 1 every week is quite necessary anymore.

He isn't, Andrew Wilson is. 

I can't take this dream scene seriously if he's not included either as it's just people's favourites from the 50's onwards. I get why people vote for their favourites but it's not respecting our history fully is it? If I was picking my favourites in my time Semedo would be on there! which is obviously ridiculous. 

I demand Andrew Wilson lol

48 minutes ago, torryowl said:

if that's so then it's not really a celebration painting of our 150 years is it .........I can understand why you would vote for hirst and waddle but without cawley the club probably wouldn't exist so he would certainly outrank just about anyone when it comes down to it .

I presume you've essentially just Googled "SWFC pre 1900" and chosen a player almost at random, to be purposely captious?

Very diligent of you sir, well played.. However, I shall see your, Tom Cawley, and raise you, Charles Clegg.

13 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Are there any photos existing of Andrew Wilson? Or will the artist have to use his imagination? Maybe a cross between Prince Andrew and Jocky Wilson.

I'm sure the club will have more pictures or some swfc historian out there will. But just a quick search on his name comes up with this....

3100016.jpg.4ecf7d11f85e4f1be983e58488faf2f6.jpg

And here's a team photo with him on at the front from the era which we were champions of England..

402f268770b62ba78cf7352388f3f29d.jpg.38e405d4f351a6f95e20812e9392be2f.jpg

Cheers for the Andrew Wilson pics. You could get a decent likeness from that top photo. The second one is too grainy I think.

Although maybe all academic anyway as the artist seems to have turned that picture of Ron Springett into former L**ds goalie Paul Robinson:

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 00.26.59.png

16 minutes ago, Stoop said:

With the inevitable inclusion of Hirst ,Waddle and Sheridan, this dream scene is going to look too early 90's heavy for me

Maybe there is going to be more than 10 of them? Seems like you need 11 for a team for starters (unless Hutch is taking an early bath). Maybe a couple of subs. Plus a manager (Wilko? Dickinson? Brown?). Maybe that way they could even sneak Bullen in as a coach.

If they've got Springett, Nilsson, Walker, Blenkinsop, Fantham and it seems inevitable you must have Hirst, Waddle, Sheridan and probably Curran and Dooley too, then hopefully the artist will manage to squeeze a couple more older players like Wilson, Rimmer or Seed in there too.

Plus Semedo is always on the bench these days and is supposedly good in the dressing room. Maybe you could even have a glimpse into the physio's room in the background where Marco Matias is making friends with Phil Scott on the treatment table.

5 hours ago, joelswfc said:

Can't argue with having the club's highest goalscorer on there. Looks like this is shaping up well, although not sure announcing 1 every week is quite necessary anymore.

Andrew Wilson is the club's highest goalscorer.

3 hours ago, RichieB said:

He isn't, Andrew Wilson is. 

I can't take this dream scene seriously if he's not included either as it's just people's favourites from the 50's onwards. I get why people vote for their favourites but it's not respecting our history fully is it? If I was picking my favourites in my time Semedo would be on there! which is obviously ridiculous. 

I demand Andrew Wilson lol

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

Andrew Wilson is the club's highest goalscorer.

Of course, meant post-war as it says on the website.

3 hours ago, Internationowl said:

I presume you've essentially just Googled "SWFC pre 1900" and chosen a player almost at random, to be purposely captious?

Very diligent of you sir, well played.. However, I shall see your, Tom Cawley, and raise you, Charles Clegg.

no I didn't have to google or wiki anything ......I've knew exactly  what tom cawley means to this club and have done for many years .

13 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

Ronnie Starling.

Six left - Starling is one of them - five others should be Crawshaw, Spiksley, Wilson, Blenkinsop and Cawley

No players from pre 1960 yet which is baffling

13 hours ago, torryowl said:

we've had two great era's around  the 1900s and 1928-35 so you'd think they'll be at least 2 from each of  those periods ,you'd think Dooley would be a shoo in as well .

I agree with you both about the pre-1960's players. I'm hoping a few of them will be in the dream scene or that there might be more than 10 players in the painting.

Looking back at the first pictures of the Roland Nilsson process, a bottle of wine can be seen clearly, so I think David Hirst will probably be in the dream scene?

I'm baffled too that no players other than from the 60s and 90s have been selected so far. Although I can't argue with Nilsson, Springett and Fantham has I voted for them, Nilsson was the only player from the 90s I voted for has at the time I feared that the majority of fans would vote for 1990s players. I also voted for Dooley and 6 players from the club's most succesful years. Surely the likes of Spiksley; Crawshaw, A Wilson, Blenkinsop, Starling and Rimmer should be involved? A case could be made for the likes of Jackie Robinson, Quixall and Dooley too.

There should though definitely be a few players from the club's most successful years. But that's the risk with it being an open fan vote, going back to my original point, maybe there might be more than 10 players in the dressing room scene? If so then, maybe the club and artist would be wise to add some of the club's true greats if they aren't in the top 10? I'm still looking forward to the completed painting, as it is an interesting concept, despite the fears about some of the club's true greats not being a part of it which would be sad considering the significant part they played in the club's history.