Roland Nilsson first player on the dream wall

59 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Lee Bullen? Seriously??

A cult hero yes but absolutely no way a club legend. I'd actually argue that nobody post our Premier League days deserves to be in this picture, I hear the argument about this being one for the younger fans but the guy still is not a club legend, not in a million years.

Absolutely love him but he was only ever at the club due to us falling on hard times as have been the majority of players here between 2000 and 2015.

I'd actually argue that assuming Bullen is classed as a centre half for this picture, that both Nigel Pearson and Peter Shirtliff have done more to warrant an addition to this painting.

All about opinions I suppose but this is mine.

Also I'll be extremely disappointed if David Hirst is not included in this picture.

I know where you are coming from. But it's horses for courses. We've had some desperate times for the past 20 odd years. The success is all relative to the level the club is at.  To play all 10 outfield positions and goalkeeper and lift our last piece of silverware and give our younger fans their only genuine memories of some sort of on field success must stand for something. 

He's come back in and worked with the kids, worked his way up the back room staff. He's given a lot of his life to the club in various roles. Always had a fantastic attitude as a player.

As an older fan it wouldn't have been my pick, but I certainly don't begrudge him his part in this picture and looking at it as a whole,  over our history I think his claim is better than some bigger name players. 

NB -Hirsty - Should the Cudworth Flyer not make the cut then I expect there will be another meltdown of epic proportions. 

Which would be a shame as the picture itself I think is an absolutely wonderful idea.

Edited by Lord Snooty

32 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Absolute fuckingjoke.  He'd be lucky to be in the top 500 Wednesday players.

In terms of playing ability yes.

But if we went down that avenue....then we could just have done a picture of the back to back title winners 28/30. 

It's all subjective 

I don't understand Bullen's inclusion at all. That's soured, what is an interesting concept and a fascinating way to honour Wednesday's history and achievements. But I do not see Bullen as a club legend. For me, that defeats it's purpose and ruins it. WTF:

I'm all for, variation in the era's but surely the likes of Tommy Crawshaw; Ellis Rimmer, Jackie Robinson, Derek Dooley, Redfern Froggatt, Tommy Craig, Mel Sterland, Trevor Francis, Nigel Pearson and David Hirst, etc are far more deserving a place in a dream scene of Wednesday's club legends? Bullen, wouldn't even be in my list of club legends.

We've had many far greater centre backs for instance the likes of Crawshaw; Millership, Swan, Mobley, Lyons, Pearson, etc are far more deserving of a place in the painting than Bullen. I do appreciate what he's done for the club and can't fault his passion and work ethic but he wouldn't even be near a top 50 list of best ever Wednesday centre backs. 

To add on to what @SallyCinnamon said previously:

The current fans up to about 25 years of age have no affiliation (might be speaking for myself) to the older players like Nilsson, Waddle etc as we simply never saw them play. 

In the last 20 years or so there isn't anyone I don't think that would be more suited on there than Bullen for the younger generation, so for that I'm glad he's on there.

I'm happy Bullen is in it tbh

For me he's the one man who has been here for (pretty much) all of our fight back towards the big time

This picture isn't just a Sheffield Wednesday all stars. Art is also there to tell a story, and Lee Bullens story is pretty extraordinary in the history of our club if you think about it

Edited by Stoop

For pushing 20 years we've either been out of the top flight or dogger in it at the end; Bullen is absolutely a legend as he gave us some pride at a time when we had none.

Some people need to remember that we're not Manchester United.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about most of the players on this painting.  Never even heard of some of them.

They were playing well before I was even born (1981), let alone before I was aware of supporting SWFC.

Bullen was the figurehead and captain of the team that helped give me the greatest day of being a Wednesday fan in my 36 year old life.

I'll take that every day of the week.

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 11:10, erowl said:

But it's not about having to have a player from a certain era...It's about real legends of the club and Lee Bullen is nowhere near one.

He may not be a legend to you or me but that is exactly what the point in the painting is. The idea is to show different players from different eras interacting in one scene together. We can't just ignore the last 17 years, and Bullen is the only one even nearly worthy from that period. 

Don't forget this was voted on by the fans, and as a few have already said to those under the age of 25 Bullen (depressingly) is as good as it's got. 

I can't wait to see the final painting, it'll be fantastic. 

• Like 1

SPOILER ALERT!

Tried cobbling together the bits and pieces that have been shown in the various previews each week. I reckon Crawshaw is going to be sat in between Wilson and Megson in the centre of the picture.

Sheridan and Nilsson are over to the left of Waddle in a door way but there is a space in between which hopefully will be where Hirst is.

Gives a rough idea of how the finished picture will look anyway.

5993562dd87d7_DreamScene.thumb.jpg.b7753762b3b6d91be4c84b7352c14fb8.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davey_wells said:

Frankly, I couldn't care less about most of the players on this painting.  Never even heard of some of them.

They were playing well before I was even born (1981), let alone before I was aware of supporting SWFC.

Bullen was the figurehead and captain of the team that helped give me the greatest day of being a Wednesday fan in my 36 year old life.

I'll take that every day of the week.

Yeah but with respect its not about you, or me. its about the greatest players of SWFC over an illustrious 150 years.

tbf you are not the only under 40 to give these reasons, i could have clicked reply on many others, indeed there are numerous others in this thread alone that say LB has given them their one biggest memory over the last 20 years. 

I respect that thought and i understand it. im only 43 myself and cant remember lots of these players picked either. 

Had we had no success i could maybe understand LB pick, but for me he is the highlight of a really poor 20 years in our long history, its only a highlight due to the utter dross around it but in the big scheme of things, - other stuff we have done - its nowhere. 

When Norwich argue with Ipswich about trophy numbers, Norwich include the league 1 trophy as one. its not a great argument but they havent done much so i guess they have to use it... however we dont!

We are currently in our longest ever spell outside the top flight, what is it 18 years?..and counting. its nowt to be proud of.

how can we waste such a limited space on the scene from that era at all? with the trophies we've won we should be celebrating with every space available whether we have heard of them or not   imo.