Number 2

What's peoples views on Bully as number 2. Wonder if bringing in a more experianced head would benefit the team more. Then again Bully is Wednesday through and through so good to have him around the club!

3 minutes ago, MuddyFunkster said:

That would be a significant step backwards for the club.

Alex Ferguson was an average player apparently. Jose Mourinho was a nondescript player in the Portuguese third division. Both served their apprenticeships as assistant manager/coach before becoming top managers. 

Bullen might turn out to be brilliant when he moves up to manage (us or someone else). Don't write him off before he's even tried. 

There's a faint whiff of No 2 I'll grant you that, what's the point of it?

As a general observation, If Bullen reached a point where he felt he needed to leave to further his career I doubt many would fault him, likewise if Carlos wanted a change at assistant for whatever reason most would respect that decission. Nobody on here has any knowledge of their working relationship, so can't pass a worthwile comment. Bullen clearly has the respect of the players and other staff, if it ain't broke and it doesn't appear to be then don't try to fix it.

Edited by Morepork

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Thought this was going to be a toilet based thread. lol

Toilet humour.

33 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Alex Ferguson was an average player apparently. Jose Mourinho was a nondescript player in the Portuguese third division. Both served their apprenticeships as assistant manager/coach before becoming top managers. 

Bullen might turn out to be brilliant when he moves up to manage (us or someone else). Don't write him off before he's even tried. 

4 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

If you say so.

But I beg to differ. I'm not suggesting next manager, but a future manager. 

I guess time will tell. I stand corrected if proved wrong.

12 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Keep Bullen as number two. He could well be a future next number one.

Based on what?

id keep bullpen in the set up but I'd love a more experienced number 2 at the club. Stuart gray/ terry burton type. Respected, great coach and somebody cc will listern too

43 minutes ago, ViolaOwls said:

Based on what?

id keep bullpen in the set up but I'd love a more experienced number 2 at the club. Stuart gray/ terry burton type. Respected, great coach and somebody cc will listern too

To be honest, very little.

But firstly, I think it's too easy to dismiss an ex-journeyman player, particularly a tough no nonsense Scottish defender, as having no future as a first manager or head coach. It's the flip side of thinking Giggs is going to be a successful manager. The Bullen type make a successful manager as often, possibly more often, than the likes of Shearer, Sheringham.

That said, what I've seen and read of Bullen makes me think he's quite a studious person. I think he's learning a lot working with Carlos, positive and negative, which he'll use with his own ideas if/when given the opportunity. 

He also has the personality and background to get the respect of players. This seems to be the case with the current squad. He strikes me as being a Sean Dyche type: pragmatic, able to get the best out of what he's given. Give him something better... Bullen is the type that gives his all, but knows his limits, and hence understands the frailties of his players. Some of his recent comments on players, particularly Rhodes make me think this is so.

If Carlos leaves next year, perhaps Bullen will too. A lead role at Colchester or Port Vale would test him. I think he'd be a success and could follow it up with us at some stage.

But I agree that Terry Burton would be a good man to have.

12 hours ago, shandypants said:

Alex ferguson had roughly a goal every other  game ratio I believe but he married a catholic girl and rangers stuck him in 3rd team to rot. And he went straight into management at East Stirling, he was Scottish number2 for a while but had always been a manager at club level.

Edited by 1867Heaven

54 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

To be honest, very little.

But firstly, I think it's too easy to dismiss an ex-journeyman player, particularly a tough no nonsense Scottish defender, as having no future as a first manager or head coach. It's the flip side of thinking Giggs is going to be a successful manager. The Bullen type make a successful manager as often, possibly more often, than the likes of Shearer, Sheringham.

That said, what I've seen and read of Bullen makes me think he's quite a studious person. I think he's learning a lot working with Carlos, positive and negative, which he'll use with his own ideas if/when given the opportunity. 

He also has the personality and background to get the respect of players. This seems to be the case with the current squad. He strikes me as being a Sean Dyche type: pragmatic, able to get the best out of what he's given. Give him something better... Bullen is the type that gives his all, but knows his limits, and hence understands the frailties of his players. Some of his recent comments on players, particularly Rhodes make me think this is so.

If Carlos leaves next year, perhaps Bullen will too. A lead role at Colchester or Port Vale would test him. I think he'd be a success and could follow it up with us at some stage.

But I agree that Terry Burton would be a good man to have.

I'm not dismissing bullen in anyway or judging his career stats to others. But I think with the overseas system it may need a experienced head to implement some old skool British values/ mentality into the mix, like fast wingers lol

3 hours ago, 1867Heaven said:

Alex ferguson had roughly a goal every other  game ratio I believe but he married a catholic girl and rangers stuck him in 3rd team to rot. And he went straight into management at East Stirling, he was Scottish number2 for a while but had always been a manager at club level.

He took Scotland to Mexico 86, he was Jock Steins no. 2 at the time but Jock Stein died just before the World Cup.