Which one hurt the most?

Guest RocketOwl

29 minutes ago, Wednesday since '77 said:

I was going to mention that Fulham game too as the one where the intensity and momentum was lost. 

Huddersfield effectively took a 3 match break though, once they knew the autos were out of reach, and it didn't do them any harm.

As others have said, feel the loss of Hooper was the real body blow to our chances.

12 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

So in Carlos first two seasons we have made the playoffs twice but which season left you more dissapointed?

For me it's the season just gone. It was such a fantastic chance to get promoted. I can't help but think bad we played like we did in Carlos first season we would have done it. The fact we also lost on pens and then I saw a very poor reading side in final hammered home what a wasted opportunity it was.

Huddersfield played us 4 times in 90minutes this season and didn't win once, losing twice. It's very frustrating.

I hope Chansiri told Carlos in that meeting to attack attaxk attaxk nest season.

Why can't we play like we did against Brighton in the playoffs at home every game? I don't care if teams know how we play - the best teams don't hangs they just know they will win. We should come out every home game and aim to be winning 2-0'at HT - why wait till second half like so many times. It's easier to get the lead and defend then other away around.

I like that we have stability and I'm happy Carlos stayed. I hope he can find the balance between his first two seasons.

Couldn't agree more mate Cc got to have been told he promised attacking football and didn't deliver last season. Surely part of agreement is that he brings it back?? A nice happy medium would be brill agreed mate. Fingers crossed we get it. I just hope we spank Blunts next year lol 

12 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

So in Carlos first two seasons we have made the playoffs twice but which season left you more dissapointed?

For me it's the season just gone. It was such a fantastic chance to get promoted. I can't help but think bad we played like we did in Carlos first season we would have done it. The fact we also lost on pens and then I saw a very poor reading side in final hammered home what a wasted opportunity it was.

Huddersfield played us 4 times in 90minutes this season and didn't win once, losing twice. It's very frustrating.

I hope Chansiri told Carlos in that meeting to attack attaxk attaxk nest season.

Why can't we play like we did against Brighton in the playoffs at home every game? I don't care if teams know how we play - the best teams don't hangs they just know they will win. We should come out every home game and aim to be winning 2-0'at HT - why wait till second half like so many times. It's easier to get the lead and defend then other away around.

I like that we have stability and I'm happy Carlos stayed. I hope he can find the balance between his first two seasons.

Both painful 

This season definitely.  Carlos learnt nothing from last season, he played too negative and didn't build on the success we had getting to the final.  I do think he deserves the chance to finish the job with us, but I fear a slow start will lead to him being hounded out of the club.

58 minutes ago, PeakOwl said:

Huddersfield effectively took a 3 match break though, once they knew the autos were out of reach, and it didn't do them any harm.

As others have said, feel the loss of Hooper was the real body blow to our chances.

And they looked crap too tbf 

13 hours ago, rickygoo said:

One thing I noticed last season was how few black players we have. In 2012 they did a survey and 1/3 of Premier League players were black. So you would assume around 5 players in any given matchday squad would be black.

If I recall right in that last game we had no black players in the squad - and have very few in the whole squad of potential first teamers. And of the ones we had two were out on loan, one was ostracised and one found religion. 

An interesting statistical aberration taking us accidentally back to pre-Tony Cunningham days. 

Negged for an interesting observation. Mr Gradgrind would be well miffed. 

1 minute ago, modboy said:

And they looked crap too tbf 

They got the result they were looking for though.

No one particularly impressed in the play-offs.  Fulham, media darlings and seeming certs to win, tried to keep their momentum going playing a full strength side against us, did them no good either.

Really don't think momentum's a determining factor in play off success.

17 minutes ago, PeakOwl said:

They got the result they were looking for though.

No one particularly impressed in the play-offs.  Fulham, media darlings and seeming certs to win, tried to keep their momentum going playing a full strength side against us, did them no good either.

Really don't think momentum's a determining factor in play off success.

Not going into it I agree but during our tie against Huddersfield we gave them momentum by playing so negatively in the first leg.

We'd beaten them twice - deservedly- before but our performance may have given them confidence they could more than match us. We didn't stamp any sort of authority on the game - it wasn't a tactical masterclass as some claimed. 

Defending with so many players is relatively easy if you aren't up against Barcelona. A masterclass would have seen us threaten their goal rather than struggle to match Huddersfield bloody Town. 

All with the benefit of hindsight of course. 

lol

Personally, this year. Last year we had a free go, no expectations. This year hurt because we ground out more results, beat bogie teams but just didn't click for the two playoff games. Last year, Hull were better than us (over the course of the season and on the day) but we should and could of played better against Huddersfield.

last season we did what Huddersfield did this season but fell at the last so I wasn't unhappy. This season we papered over the cracks and dragged our sorry a$res over the line but we never ever looked convincing with the possible exception of newcastle away. I thought we would build on last years experience but was left sadly dissapointed, especially after the quality of signings we had. We are too negative and simply do not play as a cohesive team, just a group of talented individuals.

Until carlos can get us playing as a strong unit i'm expecting more of the same

so.......this season hurt most.

Guest ka58
18 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

Only Sheffield Wednesday fans could say a 6 game winning run papered over the cracks lol 

We performed very well in some of them games such as Derby and.Newcastle:

It was more that we had Hooper during that spell.

I know - the fact we finished 4th was just papering over the cracks.....

13 minutes ago, ka58 said:

I know - the fact we finished 4th was just papering over the cracks.....

I think you'll find all 24 of the matches we won were just papering over the cracks.

I've been doing some statistical analysis, and if you discount those 24 matches, we'd actually have finished bottom of the league.

There's some food for thought, eh?

:manager:

20 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

Well if he talks to him like that he won't have a clue lol

Edited by helmut_rooster

This year.

I was happy with the first leg result and thought we would turn them over at home, as soon as I saw the line up I just knew we weren't going to win, it actually angered me!

Most important game of the season and he reverted back to that midfield, then to bring Nuhiu on when we needed a goal with Winnall on the bench was just criminal!

im glad he's stayed but I hope we go back to how we played in his first season cause this season was hard to watch.

45 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I think you'll find all 24 of the matches we won were just papering over the cracks.

I've been doing some statistical analysis, and if you discount those 24 matches, we'd actually have finished bottom of the league.

There's some food for thought, eh?

:manager:

Still reckon we would have been above Rotherham.

The Hull defeat was by far the worst. 

A single Mo Diame goal was the only real difference in that game in what was pretty much an even match.

So flipping close. 

I guess the only consolation is they are back in the Championship again. :laugh: