Which one hurt the most?

Guest RocketOwl

6 minutes ago, modboy said:

Was it a mistake to rest so many vs fulham I wonder. Perhaps it stunted us 

Could have a point there - it robbed us of a bit of momentum but we lost to Wolves the season before so it's hard to say for sure.

I think it was playing away first - It determined CC's tactics and we never really got going again in the home leg 

For me personally it was this one. I was out of the country for the last one and didn't really expect us to win in all honesty. This time I expected us to win. The day after I put up my guard and told people I wasn't that bothered because I thought we'd struggle in the Prem. However after Huddersfield got promoted I now feel sick with envy. 

With regard to the six match unbeaten run,  it always seems to me that whenever a good run comes to an end it takes quite a few games to get back to winning ways again. After the six games we never won another game, losing one and drawing two. This happened earlier in the season I think after another winning run. If we are to maintain consistency we need to bounce straight back after a loss. 

What happened on Monday was a fairy story. Wagner didn't only outperform Carlos, he outperformed every other manager in the division too. The subbing was Carlos' fault, but the loss of Hooper and Wallace weren't. Had those two been fit then it never would have gone to penalties. Sometimes you need a bit of luck, and 'Udders definitely got it.

1 hour ago, Owl 44 said:

For me personally it was this one. I was out of the country for the last one and didn't really expect us to win in all honesty. This time I expected us to win. The day after I put up my guard and told people I wasn't that bothered because I thought we'd struggle in the Prem. However after Huddersfield got promoted I now feel sick with envy. 

With regard to the six match unbeaten run,  it always seems to me that whenever a good run comes to an end it takes quite a few games to get back to winning ways again. After the six games we never won another game, losing one and drawing two. This happened earlier in the season I think after another winning run. If we are to maintain consistency we need to bounce straight back after a loss. 

It was the loss of Hooper. He allows us to play cautiously and score goals too. Without him were toothless up front. Had Hooper not been injured I'm sure we'd have got to the final.

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

The season just gone was horrendous.

Not only were we totally awful to watch, but we then failed to give it a go in the play offs.

All season, the hope was the end would justify the means.

Gutting when we didn't turn up, and a team with a budget not even half ours showed more ambition.

The season before, other than again not turning up for the play offs, we over achieved.

Hull were better than us, so caution was more justifiable. I always thought that if they turned up we'd lose, and so it proved. Dom Howson said that the loss of Hooper was a great leveller, and he's right. With Hooper fit we'd have gone to the final. Sometimes you need some luck.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

So those six games still count then?

:duntmatter:

It looked fairly clear to me that Hooper's injury cost us big time in the playoffs. With him in the team, it all knitted together and we had a coherent attack. We tried to replace him with an unfit Forestieri, but he doesn't have the same impact in that role, and so we looked a bit disjointed again.

If Hooper is so vital to the way we want to play, we need to find a suitable replacement that we can use when he gets injured, as he's not completed a whole season injury-free with us yet.

Yes, you're right. We can be cautious AND bring our forwards into the game with Hooper there. Without him we look toothless. I agree about a replacement, but who?

6 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, you're right. We can be cautious AND bring our forwards into the game with Hooper there. Without him we look toothless. I agree about a replacement, but who?

Good question!

But having seen how vital Hooper, or a player like him, is to our system, I'd say we might need to look at shuffling our attacking pack if we want to continue playing the same way. We currently have Rhodes, Fletcher, Winnall, Forestieri, João and Nuhiu who all offer different things, but none of whom are able to replicate what Hooper brings to the team, and none of whom seem to be an obvious pairing to bring the best out of each other. 

If we are going to bring somebody else in, then surely a couple would have to make way? I just hope if that is part of the plan, that we recruit players who will fit the system we'll be playing, rather than hoping to shoehorn them in.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

1 hour ago, Wednesday since '77 said:

I disagree to an extent. Those six games were the result of a changing of gear. An unstoppable momentum had developed which was taking us to the premier league. But we stopped. We did it. No one else. In three play off games Huddersfield 'scored' a Tom Less own goal to reach the premier league. Unbelievable really. But it's our own fault though. We played the first leg with no adventure and we were so cautious we only have ourselves to blame. We stopped that momentum. We could have and should have killed the tie in the first leg. We will never ever have a greater chance of getting to the premier league. I remain gutted. 

I said at the time changing the team for Fulham and losing momentum and got shouted down by the usual 'experts' on here. 

10 hours ago, SBOwl said:

After Wembley we all told ourselves we'd come back stronger, we'd make it next season...

We finished 4th after finishing 6th the previous season. I;'d say that was the very definition of 'coming back stronger'

1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

This season's play-off defeat was the worst simply because a home win vs Huddersfield and a Wembley win against Reading was as straight forward a path to the Premier League as there is ever likely to be.

The previous year, both Brighton and Hull were a fair bit better than us.

Yes I agree. I made us favourites before the play offs started. Thought we had the extra bit of quality especially up front that normally decides big games.

3 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

The season just gone was horrendous.

Not only were we totally awful to watch, but we then failed to give it a go in the play offs.

All season, the hope was the end would justify the means.

Gutting when we didn't turn up, and a team with a budget not even half ours showed more ambition.

The season before, other than again not turning up for the play offs, we over achieved.

This is it, when you play this type of football, the end really has to justify the means.