Which one hurt the most?

Guest RocketOwl

I was gutted after the Hull game but only because of how close we'd come, I didn't expect us to win and on reflection was able to take a lot of positive out of the season and had great hope that this year we'd improve and this would be our season.

How wrong was I.

This season has been nothing short of a massive let down, yes we finished 2 places higher but that was largely due to a 6 game run that covered over the cracks. Its been a season of frustration, watching players played out of position, players shoehorned into a starting 11 with dire consequences, when this was addressed results and performances picked only for Carlos to revert back to a failing formula at the most crucial part of the season. I could understand the first leg but the second leg was unforgivable and for my I can honestly say I have lost respect for Carlos and see little hope of achieving promotion under him.

I hope I'm wrong but I strongly doubt it.

Hugely frustrated both times the teamsheet was shown before Hull and Huddersfield. 

In both key matches Carlos went for his ultra-safe system that had been poor during the season.

Many of you forget that last season he went defensive towards the end and we scored 17 in our final 15 and almost threw away 6th. It was only by attacking Cardiff that we finally got over the line.

But this year is the answer to the OP. Just can't believe we went defensive AGAIN, for flipping Huddersfield.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

This season by a mile was worse.  Brighton and Hull were both much stronger than us and we played fantastic to get past Brighton in the semis.

in my opinion we are a far better side than both Udders and Reading but we were poor over the two games.  I honestly thought it was our year and I still haven't got over it fully to be honest!!

8 hours ago, rickygoo said:

One thing I noticed last season was how few black players we have. In 2012 they did a survey and 1/3 of Premier League players were black. So you would assume around 5 players in any given matchday squad would be black.

If I recall right in that last game we had no black players in the squad - and have very few in the whole squad of potential first teamers. And of the ones we had two were out on loan, one was ostracised and one found religion. 

An interesting statistical aberration taking us accidentally back to pre-Tony Cunningham days. 

Surely this is just coincidence. Would be worse if we just brought players because they were black just to fill some sort of quota system.

Think season just gone feels more disappointing. 2015-16 even though I felt frustrated at our no show at Wembley I did feel on the whole entertained during the season which I rarely did season just gone with on paper more exciting players.

7 hours ago, Wath-owl said:

This season was a total let down. We finished 4th which is a good achievement on paper, but that 6 game winning streak at the end really papered over a lot of gaping cracks. 

In truth we were probably one of the worst 'footballing' sides in the division. Just a team of individuals with no clear and concise style of play. We were quite effective in grinding out results, but it was mostly god-awful and thoroughly boring to watch.

So yeah, this season as a whole was the most disappointing for me, but at the same time I don't have a short memory and realise how far we have come in such a short amount of time. Still feel like we are unbelievably lucky to have Chansiri as a chairmen, and I have total faith in him to get us into the Prem very soon. 

I disagree to an extent. Those six games were the result of a changing of gear. An unstoppable momentum had developed which was taking us to the premier league. But we stopped. We did it. No one else. In three play off games Huddersfield 'scored' a Tom Less own goal to reach the premier league. Unbelievable really. But it's our own fault though. We played the first leg with no adventure and we were so cautious we only have ourselves to blame. We stopped that momentum. We could have and should have killed the tie in the first leg. We will never ever have a greater chance of getting to the premier league. I remain gutted. 

3 minutes ago, Wednesday since '77 said:

I disagree to an extent. Those six games were the result of a changing of gear. An unstoppable momentum had developed which was taking us to the premier league. But we stopped. We did it. No one else. In three play off games Huddersfield 'scored' a Tom Less own goal to reach the premier league. Unbelievable really. But it's our own fault though. We played the first leg with no adventure and we were so cautious we only have ourselves to blame. We stopped that momentum. We could have and should have killed the tie in the first leg. We will never ever have a greater chance of getting to the premier league. I remain gutted. 

Post of the year, sums it up perfectly.

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Why is our six game winning run being dismissed by some as if it shouldn't count?

It didn't paper over any cracks; it was just six games of football that we won - just like the other 18 victories we had last season.

It was six games we changed our god awful system and looked like a team, we built momentum and then changed it back when we needed it most.

6 minutes ago, Wednesday since '77 said:

I know we won 6 games on the trot but at no time did I think we had hit top form and had unstoppable momentum.

Felt we were grinding out and edging results rather then thrashing anyone. When that happens you are bound to have a game where the opposition edge a game instead which proved to be in the play offs.

But still think tactics in particular in the away leg didn't help.

Just now, Blue and white said:

It was six games we changed our god awful system and looked like a team, we built momentum and then changed it back when we needed it most.

So those six games still count then?

:duntmatter:

It looked fairly clear to me that Hooper's injury cost us big time in the playoffs. With him in the team, it all knitted together and we had a coherent attack. We tried to replace him with an unfit Forestieri, but he doesn't have the same impact in that role, and so we looked a bit disjointed again.

If Hooper is so vital to the way we want to play, we need to find a suitable replacement that we can use when he gets injured, as he's not completed a whole season injury-free with us yet.

Think Fulham and Reading fans will also be thinking 'never get a better chance ' . We were all much of a muchness as we went into the play-offs . Hudders went there without the arrogance and expectation that we and probably Fulham had , so they played in quite a relaxed manner overall . Reading tried to do it like us , disciplined , tight and no flair . Good luck to Hudders , think they'll need it but we need to adopt some of their spirit , lose the inhibitions and go for it from game one . Oh and we need a CB , taller midfielder and a pacy winger , not to mention a bit of luck .

13 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I know we won 6 games on the trot but at no time did I think we had hit top form and had unstoppable momentum.

Felt we were grinding out and edging results rather then thrashing anyone. When that happens you are bound to have a game where the opposition edge a game instead which proved to be in the play offs.

But still think tactics in particular in the away leg didn't help.

P6. W6. GF10. GA3.

We didn't blow sides away but by any standards that is simply fantastic form. You get to a point where you go onto the field or come from behind feeling you can't lose. No oppo edged a game.

I dont see why you link those six games to the Play-Offs. Carlos effectively tore it up and played a completely different system and personnel.

The cat and mouse, soak up pressure, keep possession, keep solid awful stuff we tried v Udders is the type of tactic where the oppo can edge a game. And they did. Twice they were the better side. That's ludicrous.

Edited by Holmowl

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

So those six games still count then?

:duntmatter:

It looked fairly clear to me that Hooper's injury cost us big time in the playoffs. With him in the team, it all knitted together and we had a coherent attack. We tried to replace him with an unfit Forestieri, but he doesn't have the same impact in that role, and so we looked a bit disjointed again.

If Hooper is so vital to the way we want to play, we need to find a suitable replacement that we can use when he gets injured, as he's not completed a whole season injury-free with us yet.

I get your point and yes Hooper was a massive loss but the loss of Hooper shouldn't have been a green light to get 3 cm in to our starting line up.

Hooper should have been replaced by Forestieri, Rhodes or Winnall, a 1 for 1 swap.

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

P6. W6. GF10. GA3.

We didn't blow sides away but by any standards that is simply fantastic form. You get to a point where you go onto the field or come from behind feeling you can't lose. No oppo edged a game.

I dont see why you link those six games to the Play-Offs. Carlos effectively tore it up and played a completely different system and personnel.

The cat and mouse, soak up pressure, keep possession, keep solid awful stuff we tried v Udders is the type of tactic where the oppo can edge a game. And they did. Twice they were the better side. That's ludicrous.

Yes I agree the play offs were a let down with how we approached the game.

Do you think it was a mistake playing the reserves v Fulham? I would have still played the first team in that game minus anyone who wasn't 100% fit.

34 minutes ago, Wednesday since '77 said:

Was it a mistake to rest so many vs fulham I wonder. Perhaps it stunted us 

5 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Yes I agree the play offs were a let down with how we approached the game.

Do you think it was a mistake playing the reserves v Fulham? I would have still played the first team in that game minus anyone who wasn't 100% fit.

No, I wouldn't have even risked Hutch, Lee, Winnall. I would have had them in carpet slippers watching the match at home on a chaise-long being fed grapes one by one by half-naked goddesses.

Maybe not the last bit.

Edited by Holmowl

The season just gone was horrendous.

Not only were we totally awful to watch, but we then failed to give it a go in the play offs.

All season, the hope was the end would justify the means.

Gutting when we didn't turn up, and a team with a budget not even half ours showed more ambition.

The season before, other than again not turning up for the play offs, we over achieved.