I really hope we don't sign any centre-forwards or strikers this summer

5 minutes ago, markowl said:

How does that work?

don't know, but the deal was always advertised as a loan with an option to buy @ £10m That doesn't imply we are bound to buy, but who knows - there could be penalties in the contract if we don't?

38 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

We ain't going to be selling Rhodes.

He will be the main striker next season as Carlos now has a whole summer and 6 odd friendly matches to fit him in to our or us into his style of play.  Carlos will know that if he gets Rhodes right, he will guarantee us 20+ goals a season. none of our other strikers guarantee that. 

But even if he get 20 goals, which of course he has done before, if it upsets the team dynamic, it won't guarantee us promotion

Just now, Animis said:

don't know, but the deal was always advertised as a loan with an option to buy @ £10m That doesn't imply we are bound to buy, but who knows - there could be penalties in the contract if we don't?

I can't imagine for one minute Middlesbrough saying 'oh that's fine forget the £10 million we'll take him back'

lol

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

But even if he get 20 goals, which of course he has done before, if it upsets the team dynamic, it won't guarantee us promotion

Not sure what that dynamic is - if it's satisfying Wallace, Bannan and Hutch then we need to move on an all agree that this midfield just doesn't work, and doesn't support the strikers properly and to their strengths.

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If Carlos finds a way to have Rhodes scoring 20+ goals next season, based on what we have seen so far. I am pretty certain it will mean we are all celebrating next may.

19 minutes ago, Mat-Owl said:

The one concern I have about the Rhodes deal is due to FFP & the fact we didn't get promoted does this mean we have to sell a few of our assets to cater for it?

I believe we are paying over a four year period, so the quicker we get in the Premier the quicker DC can relax a little. 

2 minutes ago, markowl said:

I can't imagine for one minute Middlesbrough saying 'oh that's fine forget the £10 million we'll take him back'

lol

yes - you will be correct and the protracted discussions in January will have left many red-line clauses that tie us in, which the horizon of the premiership may have led us to accept at the time. As i said, i expect they'll be a penalty clause to cancel the deal.

If Carlos finds a way to have Rhodes scoring 20+ goals next season, based on what we have seen so far. I am pretty certain it will mean we are all celebrating next may.

Probably say the same, with or without Rhodes, but let's hope so. Based on how we play, nobody has yet put up a convincing argument as to why Rhodes should be in the side

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Probably say the same, with or without Rhodes, but let's hope so. Based on how we play, nobody has yet put up a convincing argument as to why Rhodes should be in the side

Because he is a natural goalscorer. Him refusing to take that penalty is all because of a lack of confidence. something he ain't going to get back unless we play him. Carlos didn't have time to experiment with the best ways or players to play with Rhodes as we had to churn out results every week. He has now and I expect him to take the two players that can get us out of this division ( Rhodes and Forestieri ) and use them to there full potential.

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Nobody who scores 20 in our team is upsetting our dynamics.

We are desperately short of goals. 

Because he is a natural goalscorer. Him refusing to take that penalty is all because of a lack of confidence. something he ain't going to get back unless we play him. Carlos didn't have time to experiment with the best ways or players to play with Rhodes as we had to churn out results every week. He has now and I expect him to take the two players that can get us out of this division ( Rhodes and Forestieri ) and use them to there full potential.

He is a natural goal scorer in the right environment, there's no disputing that. I have never commented in the penalty thread, because I apportion no blame to Rhodes. If he didn't feel confident, for whatever reason, I'm glad he didn't put his hand up

My doubts about Jordan Rhodes, again are, how will he fit into this set up. Stats, and from what I've seen with my own eyes, point to him being like a fish out of water. 

Without a major change to how we set up, and we've seen no signs of that, it's hard to see how he can be a success. If he was bought as a player to get us over the line, then surely some thought would have been given as to how we would use him?

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, shandypants said:

...I would much more prefer us to spend significantly on top-notch creative and defensive players. 

A ball-playing centre-half, a midfield enforcer and a pacey winger that can cross are essential IMHO. 

Spending more money on forwards would be wasteful IMO. 

Whats your thoughts?

Unless it's Tammy Abraham, I totally agree!!

35 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He is a natural goal scorer in the right environment, there's no disputing that. I have never commented in the penalty thread, because I apportion no blame to Rhodes. If he didn't feel confident, for whatever reason, I'm glad he didn't put his hand up

My doubts about Jordan Rhodes, again are, how will he fit into this set up. Stats, and from what I've seen with my own eyes, point to him being like a fish out of water. 

Without a major change to how we set up, and we've seen no signs of that, it's hard to see how he can be a success. If he was bought as a player to get us over the line, then surely some thought would have been given as to how we would use him?

Perhaps that's what he will do then as we have fallen short both times with the formations he has used so far. And what a better person to change a way of playing for than the best ever goalscorer at the level we are at.

6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Perhaps that's what he will do then as we have fallen short both times with the formations he has used so far. And what a better person to change a way of playing for than the best ever goalscorer at the level we are at.

Agreed

11 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

this is my thought - therefore, not sure we can accommodate both FF and Hooper when both fit into this formation. As much as I like Hooper, he and Rhodes don't appear to be a feasible partnership.so Hooper has to give way, which is a shame.

10 minutes ago, Animis said:

this is my thought - therefore, not sure we can accommodate both FF and Hooper when both fit into this formation. As much as I like Hooper, he and Rhodes don't appear to be a feasible partnership.so Hooper has to give way, which is a shame.

Let's wait and see what Carlos comes up with formation wise. doubt he will want to lose any of them.

We need a partner for Rhodes.

Towards the end of the season, Hooper and Fletcher clicked, them 2 will play together.

We can partner Rhodes and Joao, they could have potential but seeing potential takes time.

How about selling Joao and Nuhiu, bringing in Danny Graham, former strike duo with Rhodes, will have an understanding.

Get some younger players with crossing abilities on the wings

10 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

We need a partner for Rhodes.

Towards the end of the season, Hooper and Fletcher clicked, them 2 will play together.

We can partner Rhodes and Joao, they could have potential but seeing potential takes time.

How about selling Joao and Nuhiu, bringing in Danny Graham, former strike duo with Rhodes, will have an understanding.

Get some younger players with crossing abilities on the wings

lolSorry Nando. Danny's here to replace you.