Donation by SWFC

There are people dying, or suffering in other ways, every day. Some get a lot of publicity (due to the magnitude of the event, or good PR) some don't. Each (well most) are deserving of our sympathy and charitable donations. But it's impossible to support them all, as an individual or as a business/organisation/club. Sheffield Wednesday, and its staff, do a lot of charitable work, so I don't think inaction in this tragedy (if that is the case) is a concern.

1 hour ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Let Manchester grieve, IMO it would be a tad opportunistic and crass if we were to offer monetary support, would possibly seen as a veiled publicity stunt, the type of stunt that shower across the city would fall over themselves to get involved in.

A message of condolence would suffice IMO.

Nonsense, Manchester would just say thank you and think well of the club. 

2 hours ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Let Manchester grieve, IMO it would be a tad opportunistic and crass if we were to offer monetary support, would possibly seen as a veiled publicity stunt, the type of stunt that shower across the city would fall over themselves to get involved in.

A message of condolence would suffice IMO.

It wouldnt be crass its just not warranted/needed. 

25 minutes ago, Spencerowl said:

I say it only because Sheffield people were involved - the donations go to the family's and victims not the city

I get that. I used to work at the same place as one of the Sheffield victims. 

Even so, it's impossible for every tragedy to be acknowledged and I feel crap saying that as it highlights the horrible world and times we live in. 

25 minutes ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Social media Bol.locks

"im not involved in what's gone off but I'll stick my two pennorth in anyway"

Smacks of "look at me and look how much Im trying to care!", just have some quiet contemplation and offer words of support.

Is this your normal excuse when confronted with an opportunity to contribute to a good cause? 

just seen this on facebook ,if people want to attend

There's a balloon releasing ceremony on Friday at 4pm in the richmond park to celebrate Kellys life. If anyone would like to attend please feel free to inbox me or just show up on the day. Huge thanks to Nikki whiteley for helping organise this (it was her fantastic idea) max speilmans photography in Sheffield town centre, for their generous photograph donations to release tied to the balloons (organised by kellys best friend Rebecca) to all the people that have donated balloons to fly with the families balloons tomorrow and to lee who is going to play a song by one of Kellys favourite bands whilst we fill the sky with our Kellys beautiful smile and with our love for her.

1 hour ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

just seen this on facebook ,if people want to attend

There's a balloon releasing ceremony on Friday at 4pm in the richmond park to celebrate Kellys life. If anyone would like to attend please feel free to inbox me or just show up on the day. Huge thanks to Nikki whiteley for helping organise this (it was her fantastic idea) max speilmans photography in Sheffield town centre, for their generous photograph donations to release tied to the balloons (organised by kellys best friend Rebecca) to all the people that have donated balloons to fly with the families balloons tomorrow and to lee who is going to play a song by one of Kellys favourite bands whilst we fill the sky with our Kellys beautiful smile and with our love for her.

And yet for some apparently, if our club donated it was be a crass publicity stunt... 

words fail me. 

I don't think people were saying that pal.

They were saying as a club they probably do alot of charity work already so where do you stop at donating? 

It's impossible to donate to everything terrible that happens, where does it end?

Edited by BathgateBob
Hope that has come across correctly

10 minutes ago, BathgateBob said:

I don't think people were saying that pal.

They were saying as a club they probably do alot of charity work already so where do you stop at donating? 

It's impossible to donate to everything terrible that happens, where does it end?

They are mate take a look above at the responses. 

Not a dig at you mate and I take your point and agree but I was asking a question that's all

10 hours ago, Spencerowl said:

Looking at clubs donating to the Manchester family's, will Wednesday do the same with a gesture? People from sheff were involved. Apologies if this has been discussed - couldn't see anything on club website etc. 

I don't think we should mate. If so why didn't we donate to the London victims a couple of weeks ago. I know this is closer to home, but as some have said the club can't donate to every tragedy. It also does a lot for local charities at present and we should be grateful they do that as they don't have to. 

Just now, whatdial said:

I don't think we should mate. If so why didn't we donate to the London victims a couple of weeks ago. I know this is closer to home, but as some have said the club can't donate to every tragedy. It also does a lot for local charities at present and we should be grateful they do that as they don't have to. 

Fair points mate as made above, the only reason I thought they may  do is because of the Sheffield connections. I agree they can't for everything

through personal experience Owlstalkers and wednesdayites in general are the most Generous to charitable causes i have ever had the expreince to be involved with ,many thousands of £s have been raised through this forum alone for good causes ,so falling out about it is not needed , the club may or may not contribute to this cause that is their choice And whatever they decide is up to them ,

2 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

through personal experience Owlstalkers and wednesdayites in general are the most Generous to charitable causes i have ever had the expreince to be involved with ,many thousands of £s have been raised through this forum alone for good causes ,so falling out about it is not needed , the club may or may not contribute to this cause that is their choice And whatever they decide is up to them ,

Agreed 100%, what I find strange is should the club decide to donate to this cause that it would be seen as some stunt.

im not saying they should, but if they do I think it would be nice. 

1 hour ago, Spencerowl said:

Agreed 100%, what I find strange is should the club decide to donate to this cause that it would be seen as some stunt.

im not saying they should, but if they do I think it would be nice. 

I agree that it's odd that some people would see an act of generosity by the club as a PR stunt.

But if it isn't a PR stunt, even at the bottom end of the scale of PRness, why would the club need to make it known that they are donating? They may well have donated; quietly, respectfully, and anonymously. 

Consequently, I find it disconcerting that anyone would be concerned that we haven't heard anything.