The Star - Carlos staying

As it happens, I'm of the opinion that we need stability too, and furthermore that it would be daft to show a manager the door who's just helped give us our best two seasons of the past 17. Regardless of that opinion, though, I'm glad he's staying another year for another reason altogether:

I think getting rid of the manager after making the playoffs twice but failing to go up would give entirely the wrong impression - to the fans, to the world outside S6, and most of all to the players.

For the fans, I think it risks perpetuating a really unhealthy culture of unreasonable expectations and impatience in the stands, and tacitly implies that it's somehow 'rewarded' eventually with a token sacrifice. Many will disagree with that, and obviously that's fine. But personally I'd prefer a culture of patience to be encouraged, generally speaking, and I think this is a positive move in that sense.

Along similar lines, to the rest of the football world, I think it risks making us look petulant and entitled to 'get rid' of CC after falling at the final hurdles last two seasons. I'm less bothered what anyone outside S6 thinks, obviously, but again on a personal level I'd like us not to be seen as *that* sort of club - look how we all shook our heads at Birmingham last year. I suspect CC moving on this year, whatever the story behind it, wouldn't have looked that much different to the Rowett situation to a lot of people outside the club.

But by far the most importantly, I honestly think that the players we've currently got at the club (plus the couple of new ones we'll likely bring in) have it wholly in their hands to take us up a level or not... and I want them to know that. As great as they were, and as hard as they worked - which they were and did - they were capable of going one better, and they didn't. I honestly think rotating the backroom staff at this stage in the hope we'll chance on a golden combination sends totally the wrong message to the players. I want them to know it's up to them, and I think that a show of faith in CC is also a show of faith in the club - players and all - as it stands. It's far more effective a message to the playing staff, in my opinion, that it's really all up to them, and that their bosses believe they CAN do it as things stand.

I'm not saying CC staying on will magically fix anything, but for me it says all the things I'd want to hear if I was anywhere near that dressing room. A total roll of the dice on a new gaffer just feels a bit straw-clutching to me, and seems to detract from the idea that the players ultimately decide our fate.

Really looking forward to next season.

Edited by Mr. Tom

2 hours ago, Kameron said:

Not happy he's staying but so what, as seen these past 24hrs things like this are irrelevant in life.  We'll still have a club with or without Carlos the poor people caught up in the events in Manchester will have to live with the consequences for the rest of their lives, Carlos staying or going doesn't matter in the slightest.

Of course it does.

Whilst it puts things into perspective at this current moment in time, in 6 months time, when the events in Manchester have been forgotten (and i in no way diminish the gravity of these disgusting events), we will be battling it out in the Championship as we have done this year.

There were similar incidents that took place during this season and life (including football life) went on as normal once the initial shock had worn off. (Usually after a few hours to be honest).

Maybe this is part of the problem. Everyone wrings their hands, spouting all the usual platitudes and saying how it 's an attack on all of us, and how it makes us stronger, and don't let it divide us, blah blah blah and 2 days later it's all forgotten. 

It was the anniversary of Lee Rigby's death this week. Did anyone notice. Did anyone give a F**k. Were there protest marches in the streets? Not a chance.  Will they make a film about his murder that will sweep all before it at some right on film Festival.  Dream on, it's politically 'inconvenient' for them bearing in mind the perpetrators.

Come the time when we are about to play United, there could have been (and most likely will have been) other atrocities in the name of 'the religion of peace' and it wouldn't matter if it was a couple of days before. Everyone will say it's disgusting, everyone will wring their hands and say it puts football into perspective and football doesn't really matter in the scheme of things and then there will be 10 pages on here whether we get the lower Lepps or not and probably you'll still be spouting about how CC should have been sacked.

It's happened time and time again, from 9/11 and beyond, to the London tube bombings to the recent Westminster murders, to last nights abomination. 

Nothing happened then, life went on (for some of us lucky ones), and will do so again. The lives of the families of those murdered will never be the same, but the rest of us will morph back into our usual routines in no time and that includes football and it mattered before last night and will matter just as strongly now and in the future.

well done to chansiri for sticking with him the blokes gone up a notch in my estimation of him .....as for carlos he must realise he's in the last chance saloon and hope he's a bit more proactive in his thinking but I wouldn't put much of a  wedge on him being so .

13 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Of course it does.

Whilst it puts things into perspective at this current moment in time, in 6 months time, when the events in Manchester have been forgotten (and i in no way diminish the gravity of these disgusting events), we will be battling it out in the Championship as we have done this year.

There were similar incidents that took place during this season and life (including football life) went on as normal once the initial shock had worn off. (Usually after a few hours to be honest).

Maybe this is part of the problem. Everyone wrings their hands, spouting all the usual platitudes and saying how it 's an attack on all of us, and how it makes us stronger, and don't let it divide us, blah blah blah and 2 days later it's all forgotten. 

It was the anniversary of Lee Rigby's death this week. Did anyone notice. Did anyone give a F**k. Were there protest marches in the streets? Not a chance.  Will they make a film about his murder that will sweep all before it at some right on film Festival.  Dream on, it's politically 'inconvenient' for them bearing in mind the perpetrators.

Come the time when we are about to play United, there could have been (and most likely will have been) other atrocities in the name of 'the religion of peace' and it wouldn't matter if it was a couple of days before. Everyone will say it's disgusting, everyone will wring their hands and say it puts football into perspective and football doesn't really matter in the scheme of things and then there will be 10 pages on here whether we get the lower Lepps or not and probably you'll still be spouting about how CC should have been sacked.

It's happened time and time again, from 9/11 and beyond, to the London tube bombings to the recent Westminster murders, to last nights abomination. 

Nothing happened then, life went on (for some of us lucky ones), and will do so again. The lives of the families of those murdered will never be the same, but the rest of us will morph back into our usual routines in no time and that includes football and it mattered before last night and will matter just as strongly now and in the future.

The west has dropped 50% more bombs on ISIS this year.    

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

Of course it does.

I think what you say is probably true, sadly. In saying that I too don't want to diminish what's happened and my heart goes out to the families. For me, and possibly a few on here who have had to suffer a tragedy or heartbreak in their life, it's the football that brings perspective - meeting friends and family, the football chat, the walk across Hillsborough Park, the same seats in the same old stadium. For few hours on a Saturday afternoon life is as it always has been for 50 years. I hope the poor souls in Manchester can find some comfort one day. 

17 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Brilliant news.

Good to see all the grudging (at best) and downright negativity again from all the usual suspects. 

'Football Manager' must be without some of its most expert brightest talents this afternoon.

All telling him how it's done, where he's gone wrong, formation he should play, how he should manage.

Bet none of them could even manage a f******g whelk stall never mind a football club.

One congratulating himself he hasn't bought a season ticket.  Roll on the key games, "it's not fair I've been a fan all my life".  Etc etc etc!!!!

They all ate humble pie when we made the playoffs, be eating it again before long!!

So much hatred.