Sam Winnall...

13 hours ago, Dronny Owl said:

Will get his chance next season, I think we need to get rid of Big Dave, he brings very little to the party, Winnall would have started for me on Weds night with Fletcher and Fessi out wide. 

Thats what most people would have done, or kept Reach out wide who was on form.

But that would have meant picking two midfielders and two strikers and dropping ether Lee Bannan or Hutch - something that CC doesn't like doing.

The reality is that only a new coach who can make those sort of decisions will get this squad performing properly.  

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

I haven't watched Wednesday week in, week out, but of the games I've seen since Sam joined you, I think it's ridiculous his lack of game time. I rate Hooper massively, always have from his Scunny days. I'm not a fan of Fletcher in general play but he's a great target, a good foil for others and he's exceptional in the air. But after those two, of what I've seen, I think Sam's been unlucky not to feature much. 

Both your games against Hudders were crying out for Winnall. 

He scores goals. He grafts. He's underrated in many areas of his game. 

Barnsley fans can't stand him as a person, and I get that completely, and trust me, it's not about him purely joining Wednesday. There's a lot more to it and you'd need to have been a Reds fan and experienced it all to fully understand it. But that's by the by, it's irrelevant to my point. And the point is, whatever fans think of the bloke, they'd have him back in a shot in terms of what he offers on the pitch. He's massively underrated.

I do accept he might not score as frequently for you, because (just my opinion) your full backs and wingers are your weakness. And Sam thrives off that early delivery. Get it wide, get on your bike, deliver a semi-decent ball and he'll be there. It's what he does. And, he can score some incredibly special solo efforts too. 

If CC stays I'm inclined to believe he'll have no future at Wednesday, but I'll leave it there on that one. 

Not offering up anything other than an informed opinion of Sam as a footballer, having watched him week in, week out for 2 and a half seasons. 

Had Huddersfield had him up front you'd have lost well before penalties.

28 minutes ago, WhiteyBFC said:

I haven't watched Wednesday week in, week out, but of the games I've seen since Sam joined you, I think it's ridiculous his lack of game time. I rate Hooper massively, always have from his Scunny days. I'm not a fan of Fletcher in general play but he's a great target, a good foil for others and he's exceptional in the air. But after those two, of what I've seen, I think Sam's been unlucky not to feature much. 

Both your games against Hudders were crying out for Winnall. 

He scores goals. He grafts. He's underrated in many areas of his game. 

Barnsley fans can't stand him as a person, and I get that completely, and trust me, it's not about him purely joining Wednesday. There's a lot more to it and you'd need to have been a Reds fan and experienced it all to fully understand it. But that's by the by, it's irrelevant to my point. And the point is, whatever fans think of the bloke, they'd have him back in a shot in terms of what he offers on the pitch. He's massively underrated.

I do accept he might not score as frequently for you, because (just my opinion) your full backs and wingers are your weakness. And Sam thrives off that early delivery. Get it wide, get on your bike, deliver a semi-decent ball and he'll be there. It's what he does. And, he can score some incredibly special solo efforts too. 

If CC stays I'm inclined to believe he'll have no future at Wednesday, but I'll leave it there on that one. 

Not offering up anything other than an informed opinion of Sam as a footballer, having watched him week in, week out for 2 and a half seasons. 

Had Huddersfield had him up front you'd have lost well before penalties.

Can't argue with a word of that.

6 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Its a regular theme under Carlos. We sign Abdi who is better than anything we have in midfield and play him out of position(if at all), we sign the best striker in the league don't give him service and make him look bang average, we sign Winnall who at the time was one of the top scorers in the league and again dont play him or dont play to his strengths and overlook him completely when the game is crying out for only to bring on the worst striker in our squad.

Like others have said, a new manager will get better out of these players.

This is where I'm struggling with Carlos.

I know some players have been injured from time to time but we have proven players who get very little game time.

Mcgugan might have had his faults but if you can't use him at all there's something wrong.

I'm sure some managers would be rubbing their hands if they had players like Abdi,matias, mcmanam,winnall and Rhodes to choose from. 

Not to mention the list of other lads who never really got a look in.

Edited by Eightace

18 hours ago, Holmowl said:

If we can keep all four of

Hooper

Rhodes

Fletcher

Winnall

we will be in wonderful shape. Even an injury here and there will still leave us with enough superb strikers.

No FF in this list of course. Needs to play wide or not at all. Ruins our balance.

Totally this. Forestieri is NOT a striker, he plays best when running at defenders from the wings. I'm undecided on whether we should keep him or not to be honest, yes he contributes goals but he tends to always want to be the star man and will have an attempt on goal when a pass is the better option on too many occasions.

Happens to so many players i'm surprised anyone wants to bother coming here and have Carlos leave them on the sidelines.

He might be a nice guy in general but his man management has been disastrous.Even Rhodes has gone from motivated to barely bothered.

If your one of his favourites your in luck but if not you'll regret signing.

Sam will get his chance under a new manager and wouldn't be a shock to see many fringe players have a great season when all fully involved.

I'm hoping that chansiri does the right thing next week and parts with carlos , if he knows enough about football then he can see where we are failing and surely cant allow a man to waste any more of his millions to then just disown players like he has done with many mcgugan abdi mcmanaman winnall buckley fox emanulson .and I know Rhodes now has his critics but benching a player on that sum of money for a club like us is crazy ,should never have been got on a full deal unless he was pretty much going to play nearly every game. the problem chansiri has he wont be allowed to spend millions next season ,a new manager will need to sell around 2 of our star players to have leeway in transfer market, we also have a large squad of very highly paid players who wont leave even if we want them to ie mcgugan .

38 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Happens to so many players i'm surprised anyone wants to bother coming here and have Carlos leave them on the sidelines.

He might be a nice guy in general but his man management has been disastrous.Even Rhodes has gone from motivated to barely bothered.

You do realise that managers have to leave some players on the bench? 

"man management has been disasterous" 

Define "disasterous" ? After all, we finished 4th - the highest in well over a decade. 

For me I think it could go either of two ways for Winnal and I'd not be unhappy with either option. 

Option 1: he fights for his spot and makes up 1/4 of 4 fantastic strikers at our club. He's on modest salary by the others standards, but more than he's ever earned previously. 

Option 2: we sell him at a profit. He's got to be worth 2/3m easy and that's decent profit for 6 months. 

We have a boat boat load of good strikers, and apparently one of the hottest prospects in young George. Stay or go I don't mind. Either is good for both Sam and the club IMO. 

8 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Speaking of Forest....John Robertson. Now there was a lad with zero pace. Or fitness. Quick over a foot though and superb delivery!!

Marwood was no greyhound. Beckham the same. Brunt is still playing his trade in the Prem!

Wallace falls into a similar bracket. No great pace these days but what a crosser and worker.

Reach works even harder, and though I really like him, he needs to put in hours and hours of work on his crossing over the summer. But I think he will become an integral part of our promotion winning side, and be one of the few good enough for the Prem. Unlike many though, I think LB may become his best role in our side.

Nando is a funny one. Scores more from LW than he does as striker. Gets in some of the best crosses seen in a Wednesday shirt all season. Bench full of high quality strikers waiting for those crosses, yet he very seldom plays there.

15 hours ago, the third man said:

Both Rhodes and Winnall have been turned from being goal scorers to bit part players, and when the big lump gets on when we need a goal its time for all the decent forwards to put in transfer requests

very very true,tactically shambolic is our carlos

The real puzzle for me is Reach. I feel that he has been unfairly treated by many posters on here. I believe we have here an amazing prospect as a winger. He's speedy and thoughtful, but will never make a winger unless he is given the wing role for a good period. Forget his covering for Pudil. We have Emmanuelson for that. Give reach an attacking role on the left, and you will see him come on in leaps and bounds, and then the crosses will start coming in for Fletch, Rhodes and, yes, Winnall, who for me has looked far more of a team player than Rhodes so far, but is lacking game time, and crosses that he will feed off. 

11 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

The real puzzle for me is Reach. I feel that he has been unfairly treated by many posters on here. I believe we have here an amazing prospect as a winger. He's speedy and thoughtful, but will never make a winger unless he is given the wing role for a good period. Forget his covering for Pudil. We have Emmanuelson for that. Give reach an attacking role on the left, and you will see him come on in leaps and bounds, and then the crosses will start coming in for Fletch, Rhodes and, yes, Winnall, who for me has looked far more of a team player than Rhodes so far, but is lacking game time, and crosses that he will feed off. 

Reach is a victim of his own hard working attitude and his flexibility. 

We signed a winger for £4/5 m and then immediately started playing him at LB, weird. And then the fans judge him on that.

The way he has been utilised made me think that Carlos may want to switch to 3 at the back at some point, as we rely pretty much completely on our full backs for width in attack. 

Edited by Owls2k