for the moaners

Guest The Claw

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Love your loyalty and respect for his personality and efforts, which are plain for all to see. He has worked his socks off and will always be fondly thought of by 99% of us.

But, that team, and that set-up, is his preferred approach. It fell short last season, and he repeated it this season. He doesn't see that it's wrong. 

For the opening game next season, everyone fit, he would pick that team. Maybe Hooper for Fletcher, but same shape and style. 

So what? 

Finished in play offs last season improved this season.

Fell short of what? 

A fans unrealistic expectation of automatic promotion?..

1 minute ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

We don't have the players to play the way some people want us to.

We have the players, squad and wage bill to adopt a much more attractive and enjoyable approach, than we did this season.

Too many games were shocking to watch. I spent most of the season waiting for things to click. They never did.

2 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

This is spot on.

I can deal with the loss and having to wait another season as long as these things are acted upon. Penalty shootouts might as well be a coin flip for what good they are anyway.

We have to realise our mistakes and set them right in order to progress.

Which Carlos addressed from the first season so give him a chance to adjust from this season's leanings...

Just now, slinger208b said:

Which Carlos addressed from the first season so give him a chance to adjust from this season's leanings...

He has my support for one more shot at it. Can't see anyone else doing any better, too much of a risk to try a change of manager at this stage when we're so close.

3 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

We have the players, squad and wage bill to adopt a much more attractive and enjoyable approach, than we did this season.

Too many games were shocking to watch. I spent most of the season waiting for things to click. They never did.

Unfortunately football is a business now more than entertainment.

Gate receipts aren't top of the profit pile...

3 hours ago, David1867 said:

Looks great on paper, but you are missing the fact that we just folded again in the playoffs. We probably won't get a better chance and we bottled it. 

Hate the 'we bottled it' statements. Why can't we just say we weren't good enough on the night?

12 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Mirrors my thoughts exactly and succinctly. There was a strong argument that the end would have justified the means if we'd won the playoffs though conversely I believe that our style of play stymied rather than enhanced our chances of promotion especially given the resources at our disposal.

Carlos has a certain charm and I'd love to hope that next season he could better and more attractively utilise his significantly enhanced squad. I think that this will be extremely difficult though not impossible. I would imagine that when he sits down with DC next week DC will be asking what he will be doing differently next season and if he's not 100% convinced by the answers then there might well be a parting of the ways. Just my opinion.

3 hours ago, The Claw said:

2011: 15th league 1

2012: 2nd league 1

2013: 18th championship

2014: 16th championship

2015: 13th championship

2016: 6th championship

2017: 4th championship

what's your problem?

Got to be above 4th then or else I'm gunna moan likefuck. 

1 minute ago, Dagmeister said:

Mirrors my thoughts exactly and succinctly. There was a strong argument that the end would have justified the means if we'd won the playoffs though conversely I believe that our style of play stymied rather than enhanced our chances of promotion especially given the resources at our disposal.

Carlos has a certain charm and I'd love to hope that next season he could better and more attractively utilise his significantly enhanced squad. I think that this will be extremely difficult though not impossible. I would imagine that when he sits down with DC next week DC will be asking what he will be doing differently next season and if he's not 100% convinced by the answers then there might well be a parting of the ways. Just my opinion.

Indeed.

I'd be more inclined to say lets have a third attempt at this, if there had been any signs of Carlos changing his approach. Sadly there hasn't. He's been a great bloke though and he'll leave with thanks and best wishes.

24 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

That's your opinion and that's fine. But the fact is, a more pragmatic approach has resulted in a higher position and more points. Ultimately that's what counts.

Its very, very difficult to strike a balance and deliver the full package in football. Free flowing attacking football AND a points total that allows you to challenge at the top end of the league.

People talk about our budget, and I agree there should be questions regarding our recruitment, but we're not Newcastle. We're not PL rich. Plenty of other teams with huge budgets in this league. It doesn't give you a divine right to succeed.

3 hours ago, David1867 said:

We probably won't get a better chance 

Define this statement for me please... Why will not get a 'better chance' - What was so good about this chance that makes it the best we're ever likely to get? 

Just now, IstillhateSteveBould said:

That's your opinion and that's fine. But the fact is, a more pragmatic approach has resulted in a higher position and more points. Ultimately that's what counts.

Its very, very difficult to strike a balance and deliver the full package in football. Free flowing attacking football AND a points total that allows you to challenge at the top end of the league.

People talk about our budget, and I agree there should be questions regarding our recruitment, but we're not Newcastle. We're not PL rich. Plenty of other teams with huge budgets in this league. It doesn't give you a divine right to succeed.

A higher position and more points counted for little when we underachieved, and underperformed in the two most important games of the season.

I take your points though. All valid.

42 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Cant really argue with the first statement, but those "questionable tactics" and "shockingly dull football" have guided us to 4th place in an incredibly tough league, with the added expectation from our success the year before.

Careful what you wish for.

We don't have the players to play the way some people want us to.

Best squad in the play off teams and we didn't get promoted. 9 months work wasted. 

2 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Good points to be fair. I'm probably old fashioned but ultimately what really counts for me is being entertained by my team. A one-off season of football that was painful to watch that resulted in success is one thing but as a permanent brand; not for me. I agree that striking the balance is very difficult. I don't expect a cavalier approach but the fayre this season made your eyes bleed at times. We'll never know but my suspicions are that a more positive approach might have seen us over the line but in any event it would have been a more entertaining nine months.

2 hours ago, Mishowl said:

The problem for me is:

The aim was promotion and we failed - Surely the aim for any team in the world goes in to the season with an aim of winning the league. Thats why we play. To win. 

We are as boring to watch now as we were under Grey. If you believe that then you've not watched us much over the last 2 years. 

Millions and millions wasted on bang average players that are on long contracts and are in the twilight of their careers. The 'million and millions' you speak about... Its all relative to what needs to spent to be at the right end of this league. lets remembers, Aston Villa spent 70 odd million this year and look where they are. 

Far too heavily reliant, given the money spent, on the squad Grey put together on a shoestring. SG signed Westwood/Lees and Lee. Thats about it. Sorry, but 3 players dont carry a team to 4th on the table (especially when 1 of them was out for half the season. 

Failure to address the obvious weaknesses in the squad. Get this. CB was a priority and we failed to get anyone in. I think he believed he had enough with hutch dropping back in there if needed. 

No balance to the side. Dont really get this statement... 

Insisting on playing certain players regardless of formation resulting in square pegs in round holes. Where has this happened? If you think we set up as a rigid 4-4-2 with Bannan and Lee playing as 'out and out wingers' then you dont get the game. Carlos has gone to town to explain his tactics around Christmas time when he explained Ross Wallace's role in the team. Listen to it, it will open your eyes to modern football and you might see things in a different light in terms of how football is progressing. 

Refusal, on the face of it at least, to give other players a chance. Have you though that maybe they didn't deserve a chance? 

I don't believe CC will take us up. How can you possibly come to this conclusion. He's guided us to 2 play off finishes in his 2 season. What has proceeded us at Sheffield Wednesday in recent years to suggest he wont get us promoted? Blimey

Maybe I'm a moaner or baybe I just view what is success differently to others.

I read this comment and couldn't wait to pull it to pieces...