Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

Derby Telegraph linking us as favourites for Stewart Downing ahead of Derby and Forest. 

Jesus Christ, I hope not. At his best he was garbage.

I know I might get some stick for this judgeing by people's opinion on downing but here it goes. Granted he's 32 now so only a few more seasons but for the right price and wages he is the kind of player Carlos likes to play out wide. Granted iv not seen to much of him live but I have it in my head that he has a good delivery/cross on him. It still does not address our lack of pace but I would not be completely against him comeing here 

2 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Hard to make that judgement given he's only started 10 games in his entire time here.

I do hope he manages a full pre season and then remains fit and at least that way we would know for sure.

The Fulham game tells you all you need to know about him.

19 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Tbf to him his movement was really good in the first half. Also seems to be trying harder to track back which wasn't his natural game. As for the red I think it was a bit harsh particularly with some of the fouls that were left unpunished in that game.

He had the talent. It's just the injuries he needs to get rid of. Yes It was only Portugal but you don't get as many goals from midfield as he did unless you have some talent, not to mention being 3rd in Europe golden boot wasn't it?

My understanding is that his injury last season was a very nasty one which can be career threatening. And it wasn't exactly his fault he had his knackers kicked up into his throat. 

Edited by 19owl08

41 minutes ago, MRMIFF said:

I know I might get some stick for this judgeing by people's opinion on downing but here it goes. Granted he's 32 now so only a few more seasons but for the right price and wages he is the kind of player Carlos likes to play out wide. Granted iv not seen to much of him live but I have it in my head that he has a good delivery/cross on him. It still does not address our lack of pace but I would not be completely against him comeing here 

He did have a spell in CM/Attacking midfielder where he played particularly well. Now, for a central midfielder he'd be quite quick even at this stage of his career. If he'd take a mid to low range wage and huge bonus should we get promoted, then he'd be worth thinking about.

5 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

He did have a spell in CM/Attacking midfielder where he played particularly well. Now, for a central midfielder he'd be quite quick even at this stage of his career. If he'd take a mid to low range wage and huge bonus should we get promoted, then he'd be worth thinking about.

Yea I seem to remember him more as a cam but that's how Carlos plays his wingers in more Central with the fullbacks giving the real width so maybe like we both said for the right wages could be worth looking at but all depends what other targets are. And like bullen said on radio other night we're in a position now where our signings are of a certain level 4-5 clubs are fighting for the same players 

1 hour ago, Costello 77 said:

To me it just suggests he was desperate to impress, given the time he had been out. Yes he made a stupid decision, but to me it at least shows a real eagerness to succeed. I certainly don't hold it against him.

43 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

To me it just suggests he was desperate to impress, given the time he had been out. Yes he made a stupid decision, but to me it at least shows a real eagerness to succeed. I certainly don't hold it against him.

And while he was on the pitch, he was probably our best player

3 hours ago, mogbad said:

Jesus Christ, I hope not. At his best he was garbage.

To me the fact he made his debut for England when we didnt have 1 left winger and he still couldnt cement his place tells us all we need to know 

2 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Well , our last few free players did very good - and I include Fletch who will be key next season.

Westwood, Lees alone now worth about £10 million 

£10 million EACH.

We should look at someone like Bristol City's left back/wing back/midfielder Joe Bryan. To add some pace and versatility. Also if we add another central midfielder we should go for someone like Forest's Ben Osborn, he's a dynamic creative midfielder who can orchestrate things from deep or out wide. And if we want to add pace to the wing then we should look at Preston's Callum Robinson. Although there's rumoured top flight and Old Firm interest, it may just be talk or just interest, however those are the types of reasonably young dynamic players at this level that we need.

Birmingham City manager Harry Redknapp wants to take Liverpool youngster Ryan Kent on loan for the season.

The winger spent last season on loan with Barnsley and is set to be loaned out again with a number of Championship clubs interested in taking him.

And Redknapp, who missed out on Republic of Ireland winger Jonny Hayes to Scottish giants Celtic earlier this week, is hopeful of landing Kent on a temporary basis.

Nottingham Forest have had a bid rejected for Rangers’ James Tavernier according to a report from The Scotsman.

With Warburton still being very familiar with the Rangers squad after only leaving the club last season, it is no surprise that he is looking to his former team to see if there are any players he would like to bring with him to the City Ground. And one player he is hoping will soon follow him to the East Midlands is James Tavernier, a player Forest were first linked with earlier this week. Warburton was the man who signed him for Rangers and it seems to be a no-brainer for him to try and sign him again.

14 hours ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

We should look at someone like Bristol City's left back/wing back/midfielder Joe Bryan. To add some pace and versatility. Also if we add another central midfielder we should go for someone like Forest's Ben Osborn, he's a dynamic creative midfielder who can orchestrate things from deep or out wide. And if we want to add pace to the wing then we should look at Preston's Callum Robinson. Although there's rumoured top flight and Old Firm interest, it may just be talk or just interest, however those are the types of reasonably young dynamic players at this level that we need.

Is the Chairman aware of your scouting prowess ?