Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

37 minutes ago, mike312 said:

Yiadom at Barnsley has turned down another contract offer. They've already turned down a 1.5 million pound bid for him. Shame the pot is empty he's a decent player.

While it's always a good laugh to have a dig at our Yorkshire neighbours, I do actually feel sorry for Barnsley. Assemble a very decent team from nowt, and then be unable to stop the core of the team being snapped up for, in relative terms, peanuts.

Guest wilyfox

José Semedo @JVSemedo
You are always in my heart #swfc  - lots of love x 

7:40 pm · 31 Jul 2017

decision made?

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Omar Bogle is also available. We should sign him just so we can move his thread back out of 'Non-SWFC' obscurity and open up its many wonders to the wider audience it deserves...

:duntmatter:

Max Power was linked in January. I thought his "open letter" to Wigan fans stating he wasn't allowed to move in January was interesting as I thought it was probably us. 

I dont know much about him but at least he is a younger and more energetic player who gets up and down the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Max Power was linked in January. I thought his "open letter" to Wigan fans stating he wasn't allowed to move in January was interesting as I thought it was probably us. 

I dont know much about him but at least he is a younger and more energetic player who gets up and down the pitch.

Very much doubt we will sign him to be honest can't see why we would want him

although he's half decent 

16 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Very much doubt we will sign him to be honest can't see why we would want him

although he's half decent 

Just for the extra energy in there. It's what we have been missing. We do have too many midfielders who do the same job but we are stuck with them.

If CC wants to sign anymore central midfielders he should be made to move players out first

Lee , Bannan , Hutchinson , Abdi, Jones , McGugan all on the books 

A lots been made of us not been able to get players through the door this summer and I think it's equally alarming how we haven't moved on players who clearly won't get a kick next season

16 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

If CC wants to sign anymore central midfielders he should be made to move players out first

Lee , Bannan , Hutchinson , Abdi, Jones , McGugan all on the books 

A lots been made of us not been able to get players through the door this summer and I think it's equally alarming how we haven't moved on players who clearly won't get a kick next season

McGugan is on 8k a week that's why he won't leave

With the exception of Mcgugan, we will probably use all of those. I remember last season we ended up being quite thankful of the numbers when Lee, Hutchinson and Abdi were all struggling at the same time. The issue is that Abdi and Jones haven't really done enough to impose themselves. 

For a reported 500k fee and likely modest wages compared to others, would it be worth adding another if it meant getting a player in who really added something we are lacking? I'd be tempted to say yes purely based on the play off semis (unless we are completely maxed out financially).

Alternatively we could give Sean Clare a game!

Edited by Bluesteel

I agree 1 or 2 players need to be moved on but unfortunately we're now near the top end of the division in terms of wages paid to players.

If we're moving players on its because they aren't good enough so you'd presume they'd be going to clubs at the bottom end of the division or a lower division & therefore lower wages. Persuading a player under contract to move on for lower wages isn't that easy. 

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

What would max power add that we don't already have ? Didn't score a single goal last season. If lee baz hutch and Abdi are fit that's 4 good midfielders for me with jones as further back up 

some Power. Sorry.... I had to.   :duntmatter:

I would hope that if we add someone to the midfield mix, it will be someone who can make a real difference. We have some good players in that area, but we don't have the right combinations. Whichever two we play, something is lacking, so we need to find someone who makes several combinations work. Max Power would be just another option that to my mind at least, wouldn't solve the problem

I just worry about the harmony in the side, I rate all the central midfielders we have but to add another and have potentially 6 central midfielders competing for 2 spots ??   

42 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

I just worry about the harmony in the side, I rate all the central midfielders we have but to add another and have potentially 6 central midfielders competing for 2 spots ??   

Yeah I get that, but without addressing the midfield problem, we will never get our strikers firing