Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

Whilst it was only a friendly there were worrying signs of us being one dimensional again. The bite in midfield was missing and we are woefully short of any pace in the side. 

Time to put it right but huge pressure on Carlos this season. Don't think he will survive a poor start. 

Fingers crossed we hit the ground running. 

Edited by steelcityowlsfan

7 minutes ago, clifford said:

I think Carlos said to the team 'let's play in a particular way against Rangers as PNE will be watching and we will lull them into a false sense of security'. It was a friendly FFS. He could quite easily have deliberately set the team up tactically in a way that invited pressure on the defence to see how we'd cope. He now has the answer. Next Saturday is the game that matters.

I don't buy into this idea at all. He could have done this by playing an all out attacking game relying on the talents of our supposedly superior forwards. This would have meant less cover for the defence and a more entertaining game for supporters. Sadly he didn't and if he needed any further evidence about how poor our defence is he really has left it very, very late. Most supporters knew we needed a good quality CB last year but Carlos has failed to rectify this weakness over at least two transfer windows.

56 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

Grasping at straws here... but hopefully the performance against Rangers have a lot of people a kick up the arse. Never good to be complacent.

Not sure of the etiquette of quoting yourself. But CC felt the need to respond to it on the Official SWFC site ;)

“You can win all your games in pre-season and after you can lose your concentration.

“Let’s see if I am correct or not on Saturday. Sometimes in the preparation, one of the enemies of the coaches is victories.

“When you win all the games, you can think everything is correct, the players can think everything is correct.

“When you lose one game, everybody is very alert on what you must do to win the next game.”

Edited by Pulcinella

32 minutes ago, clifford said:

I think Carlos said to the team 'let's play in a particular way against Rangers as PNE will be watching and we will lull them into a false sense of security'. It was a friendly FFS. He could quite easily have deliberately set the team up tactically in a way that invited pressure on the defence to see how we'd cope. He now has the answer. Next Saturday is the game that matters.

I think your giving Carlos too much credit .

People keep blaming Carlos for setting the team up defensively but yesterday both full backs were obviously told to get forward as much as they could, one of them is a winger anyway and we had two wingers with licence to attack down the flanks.

We also had two strikers on the pitch 

I don't believe for one moment he wanted the midfield sitting as deep as they did.  Bannan just kept dropping further and further back like a kid in a school yard going anywhere to get a kick of the ball.

The players need to take some responsibility when they cross the white line and especially those playing in key positions in midfield with responsibility for getting on the ball and driving the team forward.

I blame Carlos for the players he selects not for negative tactics 

14 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

People keep blaming Carlos for setting the team up defensively but yesterday both full backs were obviously told to get forward as much as they could, one of them is a winger anyway and we had two wingers with licence to attack down the flanks.

I don't believe for one moment he wanted the midfield sitting as deep as they did.  Bannan just kept dropping further and further back like a kid in a school yard going anywhere to get a kick of the ball.

The players need to take some responsibility when they cross the white line and especially those playing in key positions in midfield with responsibility for getting on the ball and driving the team forward.

Agreed. It's his team selection.

Bannan drops deep because he gets marked out of the game as soon as we have the ball in defense. 

If a midfielder is dropping that deep in a 442, it clearly isn't gonna make us very attacking. 

Playing him isn't working any more in a 442.

Plus, we currently don't have good enough fullbacks for them to be involved in the majority of our attacking play. 

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

Maybe, I wasn't at that game, but the tactics seem to mirror most games last season, so I can't believe they're not sanctioned by the coach. He wouldn't accept players failing to carry out his instructions, not for a full year anyway

Just now, gurujuan said:

Maybe, I wasn't at that game, but the tactics seem to mirror most games last season, so I can't believe they're not sanctioned by the coach. He wouldn't accept players failing to carry out his instructions, not for a full year anyway

The issue is that the players he selects are not up to the job he asks them to do

It's okay to push your full backs up so they play like wingers

Our problem is our full backs cross the ball like full backs

If we're going to play this way we need full backs who can cross a ball like wingers

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I don't think there's too much wrong with the system, as long as the right players are in the right positions. Not great to watch but has produced results

50 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

If we're going to play this way we need full backs who can cross a ball like wingers

play 3 CBs then play wingers like full backs (reach and boyd).

Sunderland and Celtic are set to do battle in the race to sign AFC Bournemouth attacker Max Gradel.

The Ivory Coast international has long been on the periphery at the Vitality Stadium and now the Black Cats look ready to pounce.

The ex-Saint-Etienne man available at a cut-price £3m, it appears that a deal could be struck in the coming days.

55 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

Our problem is that they go racing up the field and don't defend like FBs nor do they contribute enough in the way of assists and goals to justify being out of position. Call me old school but I prefer defenders who can defend as my main priority.

Leading bookmaker, Sky Bet, are offering odds of 11/10 for Andre Gray to leave Burnley and step down into the Sky Bet Championship to link up with Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Reports over the weekend suggested that Wolves were willing to pay £20m for Gray’s service this summer, which has led to odds falling from 16/1 to 11/10 on the striker turning his back on Burnley and heading to Molineux.

Gray has just 12-months remaining on his contract at Burnley, with Wolves ready to take advantage of the standoff regarding his future and launch an eye-watering bid.

57 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Leading bookmaker, Sky Bet, are offering odds of 11/10 for Andre Gray to leave Burnley and step down into the Sky Bet Championship to link up with Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Reports over the weekend suggested that Wolves were willing to pay £20m for Gray’s service this summer, which has led to odds falling from 16/1 to 11/10 on the striker turning his back on Burnley and heading to Molineux.

Gray has just 12-months remaining on his contract at Burnley, with Wolves ready to take advantage of the standoff regarding his future and launch an eye-watering bid.

Wow

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

And it also leaves us wide open at the back because our wide midfielders dont track back an cover. 

2 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

He's got plenty of offers, I'd be shocked if he took a championship one.

I said a while ago burnley couldnt/wouldn't compete financially, they are still living in the early 00''s when it comes to the money in football.