Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

First things first, it will depend on who we can ship out as our squad is already too big.

Its ok saying "get rid" but its not that simple as the vast majority of the squad are under contract and on good money, i think DC may have to bite the bullet and part finance some of the departures that are needed eg. Melo, Sogou, McCugan, Palmer, Nuhiu etc.

Also we have to remember that a huge chunk of money will be "spoken for" with the Rhodes deal.

I personally think we need a solid number 2 keeper and allow Wildsmith to go out on loan and get some game time under his belt.

Right back 

Micah Richards would be a no brainer IF his fitness and mindset were right , but that hasnt appeared to be the case for a long while.

Andre Wisdom would be great, can cover right back and centre half and led Red Bull Salzburg to the league title last year, think Liverpool would be willing to sell but Gary Rowett said he had enquired and was told they want big money.

Callum Paterson as mentioned but i think there would be a long queue looking at him.

A couple of options that would probably cost less money are Tendayi Darikwa at Burnley and Maxime Colin at Brentford.

Centre Half

Firstly we need to make Sam Hutch a permanent fixture at centre half rather than the midfield/centre half hybrid position he has been playing. As mentioned Ryan Bennett on a free would be good business, not a fan of Hanley but wouldnt say no to Davies at Hull if available.

I would have snatched your hand off for Elphick this time last year but he has made a few costly errors this year at Villa.....might still be worth a shout.

Either of the two loanees at Leeds last year and Marc Roberts at Barnsley would appeal but may too costly.

Left Back

Problem area as Pudil is hit and miss and i just think Fox is out of his depth at this level.

No chance we will get Taylor i think he is prem bound and there aren`t many options available that wouldnt cost big.   Maybe a cut price option would be Charlie Mulgrew at Blackburn.

Midfield

Josh Scowen on a free would be a useful acquisition albeit he is similar to what we have, Jackson Irvine would be ideal but im guessing a big fee would be required.

Wide men

This all depends on whether Carlos stays as he clearly will not pick out and out wingers..............i still think we missed a HUGE trick not utilising McManaman and Buckley more than we did and if we adopted a different style/manager i wouldnt say no to either of them stopping.

FF needs to make this his permanent position as it is his best one by far, as for new recruits , there are plenty to pick from........Bakary Sako, Ryan Kent , maybe a loan deal for Izzy Brown or Patrick Roberts.

Jota again is a no brainer but there will be a long list of potential suitors that could become like an auction.

Finally two signings out of contract that  would be a luxury but i would love to see would be Charlie Adam and Peter Crouch  but with the wages they would command we need to shift out an awful lot of dead wood.

Edited by sheriwozgod

2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I'm sure that's always the intention, but if it forces the player we have to up their game that's also acceptable

I dont think Lee was rated a few years ago, every time we've brought in players he's upped his game. 

As long as our squad improves I'm happy. I see this season as the one we trim our squad quite considerably. Forgetting loan players returning I can see 6-10 players going out (many who have been banished already) and only 3-4 coming in. 

Hopefully a few from under 23 get a chance too. Hirst, Penney ... 

Thats a fair point. You could argue that the arrival of Fox saw Pudil suddenly regain last season's form.

But I think after two seasons of near misses we need a step change in quality. Someone way better than the incumbent, so much so that it would be highly unlikely that the incumbent could up his game sufficiently. 

And/or someone that offers something significantly different that gets them straight into the first eleven.

Thats why I hope for few new players. "Top quality and few" rather than "high quality and quantity".

8 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Thats a fair point. You could argue that the arrival of Fox saw Pudil suddenly regain last season's form.

But I think after two seasons of near misses we need a step change in quality. Someone way better than the incumbent, so much so that it would be highly unlikely that the incumbent could up his game sufficiently. 

And/or someone that offers something significantly different that gets them straight into the first eleven.

Thats why I hope for few new players. "Top quality and few" rather than "high quality and quantity".

Fair point! I thought we were getting that with Abdi, Rhodes for example but I saw vast improvements in Lee and Hooper so it's a win win. Additional strength and competition for places. 

Obviously if a step change level player becomes available... Dunk? Jota? Knockheart? Abraham? You'd jump st the chance to have them! 

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

Fair point! I thought we were getting that with Abdi, Rhodes for example but I saw vast improvements in Lee and Hooper so it's a win win. Additional strength and competition for places. 

Obviously if a step change level player becomes available... Dunk? Jota? Knockheart? Abraham? You'd jump st the chance to have them! 

When writing my post, I was thinking of Fletcher as a step change player. But it hasn't really worked out. Probably because we haven't given him the right type of service (we need more decent crosses). 

The players you mention, three are probably unrealistic, but imo that is the level of quality we need to aim for.

Andrija Zivkovic on loan :rolleyes: ... please world? :sad:

Agree with the sentiment in this thread, we need someone who everyone look at with fear, our own Knockaert. Maybe Jota could be that player, but we need one or two of that sort of quality. Manage that, and I think we'll be OK

17 hours ago, S61 Owl said:

We desperately need pace in the team - we haven't had the option of running in behind or at the opposition all season and is one of reasons behind our slow build up - we just don't have the pace!

Also need a CB to cover for Loovens, a right winger and if possible upgrades on both full backs. 

No no need to change current strike force - we just need to provide them with service!

Bang on mate..great forward line but no service and yes pace is needed desperately

In my opinion all we need is new central defender, a left back and a winger with REAL pace. 

We also desperately need need to ship out a lot of the dead wood and trim down our ridiculously big squad, off the top of my head I'd be trying to move on the following:

Emmanuelson

Matias

McGugan

Melo (not sure if he's still under contract)

Sougo (as above)

Nuhiu 

Joao

Semedo

I also think that no club at this level needs 5 strikers as good as Hooper, Forestieri, Fletcher, Rhodes and Winnall.

That's too many and has meant too much chopping and changing from Carlos. We need to settle with 2 who are our first choice pairing and have the other 2 as back up. This would mean 1 of those 5 leaving the club.

As much as I feel sorry for him I'd go with Sam Winnall. Rhodes, Forestieri, Hooper and Fletcher all offer something very different and an the balance of things are slightly better than Winnall.

Just my opinion.

6 hours ago, Pod9 said:

I would like to see the young lad, Kent (Ryan??) who was on loan at Barnsley last year. 

Fantastic pace pace and must have put 10 very dangerous crosses into our area at Hillsbrough. 

Think he won Barnsley player of the year too. 

Only issue with Kent is that he's another left sided player. We have Reach and it is arguable where Forestieri should play. Pudil can also play that position as he does for his country.

Focus needs to be on the right wing. Wallace is a great player, love his set pieces but he has no pace & cannot beat a man. Hunt needs someone who will give him an option in attack so they can double up & get behind defences.

3 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

In my opinion all we need is new central defender, a left back and a winger with REAL pace. 

We also desperately need need to ship out a lot of the dead wood and trim down our ridiculously big squad, off the top of my head I'd be trying to move on the following:

Emmanuelson

Matias

McGugan

Melo (not sure if he's still under contract)

Sougo (as above)

Nuhiu 

Joao

Semedo

I also think that no club at this level needs 5 strikers as good as Hooper, Forestieri, Fletcher, Rhodes and Winnall.

That's too many and has meant too much chopping and changing from Carlos. We need to settle with 2 who are our first choice pairing and have the other 2 as back up. This would mean 1 of those 5 leaving the club.

As much as I feel sorry for him I'd go with Sam Winnall. Rhodes, Forestieri, Hooper and Fletcher all offer something very different and an the balance of things are slightly better than Winnall.

Just my opinion.

Move FF to wing permanent and use Winnall more. Keep Joao or look at a quick forward as our final and 5th choice forward.

sign a new winger. A new CM and a left back, potentially centre half of the right one is available

46 minutes ago, S26 Owl said:

Sako

Jota

Watkins 

Hanley/roberts (barnsley one) 

Pat roberts loan

Id still like judge in january assuming he comes back the player he was

If Brentford keep hold of Jota & get Judge fit for the start then they will be up around play offs next season.

Connor Mahoney contract has ended at Blackburn. Right midfielder.

Only 20yrs old & a set piece taker. Has a good cross on him too. Not one for the first team but squad player in replacement of Buckley or McManaman & potential for future.

Edited by 19owl08

2 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

Connor Mahoney contract has ended at Blackburn. Right midfielder.

Only 20yrs old & a set piece taker. Has a good cross on him too. Not one for the first team but squad player in replacement of Buckley or McManaman & potential for future.

Agree 100% . Would love him here. Massive improvement on Buckley, Sougou, Matias  etc...

27 minutes ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

Agree 100% . Would love him here. Massive improvement on Buckley, Sougou, Matias  etc...

I think it would go to tribunal due to his age unless we agreed a fee. But I doubt it be much more than a million or two.

48 minutes ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

jackson Irvine from burton

young and scores goals ,will be cheap too

Bennett from Norwich

free transfer

Loftus cheek from Chelsea

season loan

Loftus Cheek is an interesting one. Think he will probably end up at a Premiership team though.