Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

11 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Exactly. If we want to play with 2 deep, why not just go with 1 up top and drop someone into an advanced midfield role?  A 4231 rather than leaving 2 forwards high up.

In other thread I suggested the need to play forestieri as a number 10. He would fit that aswell.

6 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

They always do give it to Bannan. It's easy, he's usually stood 5 yards away. Then he twists, turns and either gives it them back or tries a 50 yard diagonal. 

He should be the one 15/20 yards further forward, making an angle, then collecting it on the half turn ready to drive forward or move it on quickly.

Never does it anymore. He'd rather come short for the easy ball. Then you get some of our fans saying silly things like "he ran the game" or "everything went through Bannan". 

Nailed it

6 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

There aren't many CBs that stride forward with the ball and start picking passes. You can't expect Lees and Loovens to do that. 

The problem is them not having forward options other than the short pass to Bannan or Jones (or Hutch) or the wide pass to Hunt or Pudil, who are usually being closed down. 

It's ok for our deep lying midfielder to come and collect the ball, but his partner needs to offer a forward passing option, and when it's Bannan, it doesn't happen often enough. He likes the easy option unfortunately.

That huge gap in midfield is a problem that arises when both our midfielders are too deep, rather than lack of movement from our forwards. Not saying we see great movement from our forwards because we often don't, and that's another problem. But in this case Bannan is the main culprit. Lee and Abdi are much better at filling that gap imo. 

That's where hooper comes in. He plays a bit deeper, and links midfield and attack.

We don't have strikers capable of playing one up top - except Joao - but we probably could if we passed it back to front, rather than pinging long balls up.

That's how we started under Carlos, I'm not sure why we've reverted to thumping it long.

22 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Apparently Dorrans went for £750k. Maybe he was out of our price range after Carlos spunked all that money on Reach and Rhodes.

A lot of negative marks for this comment from people totally out of touch with reality.

18 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

That's where hooper comes in. He plays a bit deeper, and links midfield and attack.

We don't have strikers capable of playing one up top - except Joao - but we probably could if we passed it back to front, rather than pinging long balls up.

That's how we started under Carlos, I'm not sure why we've reverted to thumping it long.

Hence why we changed our style to poo in the playoffs when he was injured 

None of these players we've been linked with is going to radically change the way we play. To me they all just seem like another body to bulk up the numbers, rather than someone who looks like a great fit who would change the team dynamic.

I'm not even convinced we can't spend money. DC usually gets the deal done in the end, just likes to play the long game and get the best deal.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see us spend a substantial amount of money in the next few weeks.

Edited by BIG D

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Put Bannan wide left, that's his best position

That should get a reaction from the Owlstalk masses.

His best position is the left of a midfield 3 in a conventional 4-3-3 formation. I have absolutely no doubt about this. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl

40 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

That should get a reaction from the Owlstalk masses.

His best position is the left of a midfield 3 in a conventional 4-3-3 formation. I have absolutely no doubt this. 

Yep

Guest wilyfox

Never been against Bannan on the left - providing we have legs t'other side, otherwise we're too pedestrian. 

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

None of these players we've been linked with is going to radically change the way we play. To me they all just seem like another body to bulk up the numbers, rather than someone who looks like a great fit who would change the team dynamic.

Would any centre back radically change the dynamic of how we play though?

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Are you expecting our new centre back to play on a skateboard too or something? Maybe with a yo-yo?