Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Batth could be cheapish at least considering the free-flowing spending of the Molineux lot at his superfluous nature?

I've always rated him, but I know a lot on here don't think he's got the goods. Would he be a smart buy or a wasted one? Left footed at least :rolleyes:

I think there are still good value deals to be done with players who are adequate championship players. Bathe, Elphick, Mulgrew, Eksrand. None of those likely to cost much in comparison. All of those would challenge for a spot and provide at very least back up and occasional games. 

52 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Whilst I agree that prices have got out of hand, the problem we have is that clubs seem to be expecting huge fees for any promising player nowadays, and we can't force them to sell.

If we want a top-notch centre-back, the kind of player who could realistically improve our first team, then I can't see them coming cheap. Imagine what we'd demand for Tom Lees in the current climate - that may be what we have to pay to secure the kind of player we need.

Don't have any real argument with that, but I side with the club at the moment - we've had so many years of getting our players taken off us for nowt, and being overpriced for the ones we want. It's sensible to start playing a little hardball.

If mulgrew has any sense, he'll be talking to his agent about championship offers - and whether to push for a move. Any player with international aspirations can't be wallowing in league one.

By making a low bid, we've planted the seed now. If the player wants the move, our hand is strengthened and our bids won't need to be as high.

It's good business sense. As long as we don't lose out by dithering...

14 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Don't have any real argument with that, but I side with the club at the moment - we've had so many years of getting our players taken off us for nowt, and being overpriced for the ones we want. It's sensible to start playing a little hardball.

If mulgrew has any sense, he'll be talking to his agent about championship offers - and whether to push for a move. Any player with international aspirations can't be wallowing in league one.

By making a low bid, we've planted the seed now. If the player wants the move, our hand is strengthened and our bids won't need to be as high.

No doubt. It definitely seems that we're willing to play the long-game in transfer negotiations these days in order to get a deal that we're happy with. Like you, I imagine this is exactly what's going on in the case of Mulgrew.

But at the same time, I'd be concerned if he was the only centre back we signed - if we want a truly top-notch player, we have to be prepared to spend big when push comes to shove. We did so when it came to the likes of Reach, Abdi, and Rhodes, and I expect we'll do the same to secure a centre back capable of improving our first team this summer.

21 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Whilst I agree that Mulgrew may well be looking for a move, Blackburn losing 3-1 to L2 Carlisle, might persuade Mowbray that he daren't sell as his defence were poor last night according to reports.

49 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

No doubt. It definitely seems that we're willing to play the long-game in transfer negotiations these days in order to get a deal that we're happy with. Like you, I imagine this is exactly what's going on in the case of Mulgrew.

But at the same time, I'd be concerned if he was the only centre back we signed - if we want a truly top-notch player, we have to be prepared to spend big when push comes to shove. We did so when it came to the likes of Reach, Abdi, and Rhodes, and I expect we'll do the same to secure a centre back capable of improving our first team this summer.

If we were selling Lees, for example, we'd probably then go out and splash the cash on another top centre back.

With Hutchinson and loovens, I'd guess the view is we probably only need one more - and he doesn't have to be world class - so we are shopping for a player that's low cost; knows he could be 4th choice; good enough to push loovens; capable of playing other positions. 

Not easy to find one that hits all four. That said, whilst Mulgrew isn't one of the names you'd pick out, he's a pretty sensible transfer. But I'd be surprised if his market value was more than 500k, and even that's a stretch.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

If we were selling Lees, for example, we'd probably then go out and splash the cash on another top centre back.

With Hutchinson and loovens, I'd guess the view is we probably only need one more - and he doesn't have to be world class - so we are shopping for a player that's low cost; knows he could be 4th choice; good enough to push loovens; capable of playing other positions. 

Not easy to find one that hits all four. That said, whilst Mulgrew isn't one of the names you'd pick out, he's a pretty sensible transfer. But I'd be surprised if his market value was more than 500k, and even that's a stretch.

See, I'd be of the opinion that Hutchinson is needed in midfield more often than not, so if we signed Mulgrew as backup, I'd still expect us to bring in another centre back who would be good enough to push Loovens down the pecking order. It makes no sense to allow an able deputy in Sasso to walk away if we're only going to bring in another backup player in his stead - we need to be bringing in players who improve our first choice eleven.

Batth wouldn't have been my first choice as he has come in for some criticism at Wolves and I was under the impression that we were looking for top centre halves but it's reaching the stage where someone aggressive with championship experience would do given that we are so thin on the ground.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

See, I'd be of the opinion that Hutchinson is needed in midfield more often than not, so if we signed Mulgrew as backup, I'd still expect us to bring in another centre back who would be good enough to push Loovens down the pecking order. It makes no sense to allow an able deputy in Sasso to walk away if we're only going to bring in another backup player in his stead - we need to be bringing in players who improve our first choice eleven.

No arguments from me there buddy, I'm surmising the club's reasoning.

Personally I think we'll go for two, but I know we've been looking very closely at ogrady and thorniley to see if they can step up. If they can, that could be the better route, and we do need to start bringing these u23s through at some point.

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Batth wouldn't have been my first choice as he has come in for some criticism at Wolves and I was under the impression that we were looking for top centre halves but it's reaching the stage where someone aggressive with championship experience would do given that we are so thin on the ground.

Think he's been left surrounded by crap to be honest, and too often exposed by his fellow defence going awol. 

He's a solid stopper, defo capable of pushing loovens. If he had Hutchinson and Lees supporting him, he'd be a decent option. Upgrade on sasso anyway.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

Think he's been left surrounded by crap to be honest, and too often exposed by his fellow defence going awol. 

He's a solid stopper, defo capable of pushing loovens. If he had Hutchinson and Lees supporting him, he'd be a decent option. Upgrade on sasso anyway.

Certainly better than Sasso. Distribution isn't great but he wouldn't be ducking headers or getting barged off the ball on the touch line.

When he was here as a young lad I think he needed Rob Jones alongside him and I got the impression that like Lees he is better with an older head next to him. That might've changed but he is still quite young.

Aston Villa are shock favourites to secure the services of Peter Crouch from Stoke City.

It is clear that Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce has been looking to add experience into his squad this summer and the signings of John Terry, Ahmed Elmohamady, Chris Samba and Glenn Whelan serve to testify this fact.

Bruce clearly feels that the knowhow of such veterans will be crucial to helping Villa earn promotion into the Premier League next season and now in another report linking the Villans to an experienced player, claims have been made that the Championship outfit are currently considering a move for Stoke City star Peter Crouch.

Crouch is 36 at the moment but he produced the goods for Stoke last season, scoring 10 goals in 29 appearances and it is clear to see that the ex-England international still knows his way to goal.

2 hours ago, Bathgate said:

Batth decent in air and good leader from what ive seen of him at wolves dunno how good he is with the ball at his feet though 

For me , my priorities for a centre half are their ability to head , tackle and clear the ball up field , not weather they can dribble and take players on. 

Ashley Cole would be a fantastic signing for us. We should be in for him if Birmingham have a chance. Big upgrade on what we have and the experienced pro that Carlos has said we're after...but I think we're missing a trick by not tapping the young loan market for upcoming stars from the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

For me , my priorities for a centre half are their ability to head , tackle and clear the ball up field , not weather they can dribble and take players on. 

So whats he ment to do when he does tackle and win the ball, hoof it out into stand? By good with the ball at his feet o mean, can he pick a pass and can he play out from the back and stuff like that. So actually it is quite a big thing of your lookong for a good center half