Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

11 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Having read the recent article by Caulker I think the whole point was that gambling and anxiety was having a terrible impact on his job 

Not read the article but I do know that the disease of addiction isnt so easy to recover from. 

15 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

Yeah totally right. Why on earth did we sign Hutchinson.

It isn't just like depression is a switch with either 'on' or 'off', there's an awful lot of grey in how much it can affect you. From Caulker's own interval just a couple of months ago, it sounds like he was in a really bad place for much of this year. I'm not going to speculate on who was feeling what and when and how bad or owt because it sure as hell isn't my place, but based on that interview if I were him I wouldn't want to move up away from his family and friends to Sheffield. 

Edited by StudentOwl

8 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

It isn't just like depression is a switch with either 'on' or 'off', there's an awful lot of grey in how much it can affect you. From Caulker's own interval just a couple of months ago, it sounds like he was in a really bad place for much of this year. I'm not going to speculate on who was feeling what and when and how bad or owt because it sure as hell isn't my place, but based on that interview if I were him I wouldn't want to move up away from his family and friends to Sheffield. 

Depression is the result of a chemical called serotonin which is what makes us all feel happy, people who experience depression make less serotonin, the less serotonin an individual makes the more depressed they feel.

Most of us will experience circumstantial depression in the form of bereavement and this passes with time, clinical depression often requires treatment with antidepressants which encourage the production of serotonin.

So as you say there are no hard and fast rules as to how depressed a person can be and the effects it has on someone.

18 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Maybe its his friends who like to go out and have a gamble , a drink and a good time on a weekend, maybe he just wants to be like us regular joes who can do what we want without having to worry about the consequences of our actions. Maybe a fresh start away from all his problems could re focus his career. Suppose we'll never really know. One thing i can say is that to dismiss a bloke because he's suffered with depression shows the way in which society treats people with mental illness. Hope caulker gets his career back on track and fulfills the potential that he's got

52 minutes ago, benitocarbonara said:

The only comment and what people like is someone pointing out the wee wee poor English duck me some could have a opposite view which is fair enough but to go out the way to be little someone on there English and intelligence and ability of the written word is not only wee pipe ish but hay you where right

lolBrilliant response 

I really do think we now need to rename this thread the argumentative tactical genius player know all petulant tw@t self hef group thread.or  just plain old owlstalk. Anyway any one got any transfer gossip?

Edited by Plonk

4 hours ago, Blue and white said:

It's quite alarming in this day and age people still have a negative view on mental illness.

Statistically speaking 1 in 3 of us will experience a mental illness, sports men and women aren't  immune.  You can bet your bottom dollar the few that have had the confidence to come forward are just the tip of the iceberg and negative attitudes will do little to come forward and give them the confidence to come forward, tell their story and raise awareness.

This totally, as a fair few on here know I'm bi polar, and it's surprising how many people who post on here actually suffer from various mental health issues. When Caulker came out and spoke about it, there was a post and quite alot of people actually spoke about their own issues and it was refreshing, because it still carries a stigma these days. While I have no problem talking about, and taking the p*ss about it and out fo myself, when it comes to talking about how I'm doing, or how I'm feeling, I've never been able to, so for Caulker to come out and talk publically about what he has been through and is going through fair play. I can';t even tell the people closest to me 

16 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

This totally, as a fair few on here know I'm bi polar, and it's surprising how many people who post on here actually suffer from various mental health issues. When Caulker came out and spoke about it, there was a post and quite alot of people actually spoke about their own issues and it was refreshing, because it still carries a stigma these days. While I have no problem talking about, and taking the p*ss about it and out fo myself, when it comes to talking about how I'm doing, or how I'm feeling, I've never been able to, so for Caulker to come out and talk publically about what he has been through and is going through fair play. I can';t even tell the people closest to me 

Good on you for being open and talking about it. I'm a Mental Health Nurse and whilst I've never experienced mental illness in its truest sense I have had addiction issues and continue to fight against a gambling habbit, at its worst I blew thousands which as a result nearly cost me my marriage and ruined my family, it's unbelievably easy to fall into the trap and once in it it's so so difficult to get out. Fortunately my wife has stood by and has been a massive help, she now controls our money and I have a £10 bet on a Saturday, It's been a long old road but and I still struggle from time to time but for the first time in ages I feel I control gambling not gambling controlling me.

Edited by Blue and white

11 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

I'm hoping we get a deal on a player that also includes 26 shirts, shorts and socks...

Some forward thinking from the club - we've got the same guy working on bringing a centre-back in and sorting our kit out.

Unfortunately it looks like he's spent the summer sorting his hairline out.

1 minute ago, Geoffrey said:

Some forward thinking from the club - we've got the same guy working on bringing a centre-back in and sorting our kit out.

Unfortunately it looks like he's spent the summer sorting his hairline out.

Just F off you boring sod. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Is it me, or has the window been rubbish across the board?

Just doesn't feel like much is happening anywhere, even some of the premier league teams seem quiet

Saving it up for transfer deadline day and increased exposure on Sky, and glamorous assistants in yellow dresses.

All potential deals are inter-linked, it's like buying a house, waiting for the chain to be broken.

As soon as McGugan moves on, it'll all go crazy.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

Is it me, or has the window been rubbish across the board?

Just doesn't feel like much is happening anywhere, even some of the premier league teams seem quiet

I think the problem is the window closing at end of august. Now that those dodgy agents are getting more involved it makes players want to stay until the last minute to get as much money from desperate clubs as they can, likewise clubs holding out for more transfer money too

Personally I'd like the window to close the week before a new season starts. And then maybe (but maybe not) an emergency window to open for a few days at the end of October, before the big one in January. 

As I don't think clubs will want to spend the first 2.5 months of a season without the players they need and will be more keen to sign them in the summer