Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

lets just accept that there will be no signings before kick off against preston, even if there was would not be enough time to adapt to ccs style of play, just got to accept what we have but its not been good enough last 2 seasons so our recruitment  or lack of it says it all, just feel that we are almost there, so near yet so far.

Just now, debram said:

lets just accept that there will be no signings before kick off against preston, even if there was would not be enough time to adapt to ccs style of play, just got to accept what we have but its not been good enough last 2 seasons so our recruitment  or lack of it says it all, just feel that we are almost there, so near yet so far.

Lack of it .this year been slow but how many we sign last season we dont need much

10 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Wow. That's harsh. 

Steven Caulker: ‘I’ve sat here for years hating myself … This year was almost the end’

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/29/steven-caulker-mental-illness-addictions-gambling-drinking-qpr?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I'd argue that moving up north, away from his family and support structure he has in London, would be a terrible idea for a man that's in the state he's in. He's a London lad who should probably remain in that area where his friends are a bit closer, the weather's a bit brighter and the place that feels more like "home". Especially with the pressure the Hillsborough crowd can inflict on someone, and even moreso especially during what everyone is kind of hoping/expecting as a promotion season. The bloke doesn't need that, and to be honest we don't need to take a risk on someone in his state. Wouldn't be fair on either party, though that's just my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, dan1980 said:

Lack of it .this year been slow but how many we sign last season we dont need much

just a quality aggressive center half, JT would have more than done the job, need similar but dont think we have the pulling power.

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I'd argue that moving up north, away from his family and support structure he has in London, would be a terrible idea for a man that's in the state he's in. He's a London lad who should probably remain in that area where his friends are a bit closer, the weather's a bit brighter and the place that feels more like "home". Especially with the pressure the Hillsborough crowd can inflict on someone, and even moreso especially during what everyone is kind of hoping/expecting as a promotion season. The bloke doesn't need that, and to be honest we don't need to take a risk on someone in his state. Wouldn't be fair on either party, though that's just my opinion. 

I wouldn't rule him out purely because of it though

22 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Wow. That's harsh. 

Steven Caulker: ‘I’ve sat here for years hating myself … This year was almost the end’

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/29/steven-caulker-mental-illness-addictions-gambling-drinking-qpr?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

For a bit of balance though, our very own sam hutchinson discussing his mental health issues.

Sam Hutchinson: ‘I just wanted to stop the pain and never come back’

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/23/sam-hutchinson-sheffield-wednesday-chelsea?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

What are you on about?

hutchinson was talking about never coming back to football because of the pain in his knee!!!

How is that even comparable????

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

Just now, debram said:

just a quality aggressive center half, JT would have more than done the job, need similar but dont think we have the pulling power.

Don't rate JT for this level. Many of the Chelsea fans said he was often at fault when he was on the pitch and they conceded. Would rather have a younger and fitter CB who would have a half chance of stepping up to the Prem if all goes to plan.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

I wouldn't rule him out purely because of it though

I would.

its a massive risk.

we don't need to take them anymore.

Everybody needs to chill. We'll have a good centre back before the end of August.

In the mean time, it looks like we have Lees, Loovens and Hutch fit for Preston.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

2 minutes ago, Oliver Read said:

Don't rate JT for this level. Many of the Chelsea fans said he was often at fault when he was on the pitch and they conceded. Would rather have a younger and fitter CB who would have a half chance of stepping up to the Prem if all goes to plan.

You don't rate him?

Unless his legs have gone he'll stroll it.

3 minutes ago, Oliver Read said:

agree but where is he and do we have the draw to attract such a player

5 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

What are you on about?

hutchinson was talking about never coming back to football because of the pain in his knee!!!

Have a read of the interview.

He talks about depression and having to get himself mentally right just as much as physically.

I'm not saying we should sign goldson -just that a previous mental health issue shouldn't automatically rule him out.

I also agree we don't need to take gambles - but we took gambles on the fitness of Westwood and Hutchinson, on the capability of Lee and Lees and the likes of bannan and Wallace having a new lease of life here. Calculated gambles shouldn't necessarily be totally ignored either.

10 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

What are you on about?

Somewhat different circumstances, but you clearly havent read the Hutch article properly.

8 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

You don't rate him?

Unless his legs have gone he'll stroll it.

I don't see how he will stroll it.

To an extent his legs probably have gone as he's now 36. He only made 14 appearances in total last year, getting sent off in 1 (Peterborough!).

I just don't see how he will rrally do so well when he isn't even used to the more spaced out Premier League schedule, never mind the clusterfűck that is the Championship schedule.

7 minutes ago, debram said:

agree but where is he and do we have the draw to attract such a player

I see what you mean but JT is a very different case, there are very few players who used to be at the very top of the prem who are still playing and willing to drop down a division.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Have a read of the interview.

He talks about depression and having to get himself mentally right just as much as physically.

I'm not saying we should sign goldson -just that a previous mental health issue shouldn't automatically rule him out.

I also agree we don't need to take gambles - but we took gambles on the fitness of Westwood and Hutchinson, on the capability of Lee and Lees and the likes of bannan and Wallace having a new lease of life here. Calculated gambles shouldn't necessarily be totally ignored either.

I have read the interview.

you deliberately made it look like Hutch was saying he considered taking his life in the same way as Caulker said.

Which is bo110x!!!

4 minutes ago, Oliver Read said:

I don't see how he will stroll it.

To an extent his legs probably have gone as he's now 36. He only made 14 appearances in total last year, getting sent off in 1 (Peterborough!).

I just don't see how he will rrally do so well when he isn't even used to the more spaced out Premier League schedule, never mind the clusterfűck that is the Championship schedule.

He's used to playing in the Champions League every midweek!

he's played over 50 matches in a season on 5 occasions.

Few players can match that.

4 minutes ago, Oliver Read said:

The one thing Villa were crying out for last season was a leader at the back, they were a shambles. 

Probably got one of the best leaders the premier league has ever had.

10 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

Somewhat different circumstances, but you clearly havent read the Hutch article properly.

I have read it thoroughly.

The poster quoted  Caulker when he was talking about taking his own life.

He then deliberately took an extract to make it sound like Hutch was saying the same. Though he says he had mental issues he never says in the article (or anywhere else that I have seen) that it got to that stage.

As you said, VERY different circumstances.

3 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

He's used to playing in the Champions League every midweek!

he's played over 50 matches in a season on 5 occasions.

Few players can match that.

Yeah, he WAS used to that.

A few years ago he would've been an awesome signing but now he will be nowhere near as fit and I doubt he'll be able to cope. 

I don't think he'll completely flop, I just don't think he'll be that great and for a promotion chasing side, he wouldn't be my first choice. 

8 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I have read the interview.

you deliberately made it look like Hutch was saying he considered taking his life in the same way as Caulker said.

Which is bo110x!!!

How did I? 

"For a bit of balance though, our very own sam hutchinson discussing his mental health issues."

Clearly referencing the mental health issues. Not once comparing the two.  Not once saying his mental health issues were just as bad as Caulkers. Not once saying hutchinson was suicidal.

But if you'd read both interviews properly, you'd know that and would've avoiding looking a t1t.

Go change your tampon and give your head a wobble.