Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

If we are actually interested, then I would like to see a move for Charlie Mulgrew tied up pretty quickly.

Apparently his wage demands were too high last season, but tbf he was a free agent. I'd have thought he'd come to an agreement in order to avoid playing in League One.

He would provide enough cover for us not to go into the season panicking. He and Sam can both play CB and CM so would give us added options there too.

I think if the previous links have been genuine, we can identify the type of centre back we have been looking for. Keogh, Hanley, Morrison, Dean ect, are all, good in the air, with excellent leadership skills. The going rate for that type of player, with experience at this level, would seem to be about £5-£6m. I'm hoping that level is the minimum requirement, and we don't lower our sights.

What we can do here, is compromise a little. If it's a problem finding such a player, 2 years of searching, then finding TWO will be practically impossible. Why not bring in just the one, and then use Hutch as a fourth choice centre back? We won't be taking him away from his midfield duties too often, and anyway, he isn't always named as one of our two in that department. Failing that, secure the one player that fits the bill and just use the loan market to cover the fourth choice option. It's not as if a £5m centre back, who was captain at a previous championship club, will be happy to come here as a fourth choice option. Let's be more realistic about this, there is no reason then, why we can't have the right guy in place before the start of the season.

Edited by gurujuan

41 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Deciding we will wait until we can bring in the right players, is an admirable sentiment, but when did this start? Don't think we've been as discerning with some of our signings. It's hard to believe we've been looking for a centre back for two years now, and we still haven't been able to find the right player.

I agree, as if true how come Mulgrew is right for us now but not last year? He signed for Blackburn who were in considerable debt for goodness sake. TBH I don't think we have signed an outstanding defender in the Carlos era therefore the chances of signing two decent CBs look remote. You have to question how Barnsley, Huddersfield, Leeds have managed it, with far less money available yet we haven't. We did, of course, manage to do so pre Carlos with the acquisitions of Lee, Loovens and Westwood all of whom were excellent signings. 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Makes a mockery of Nixon's inside info, if we've looked at 200 centre backs He only knew about one

and that one he only knew because everyone else was talking about it :ph34r:

Seriously, no one has had any inside info since DC took over, that's the point, the cards are kept close to the chest these days

Edited by marcx666

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 minutes ago, MOwl said:

Hull set to sign Michael Hector on loan from Chelsea. Excellent centre back

Surely we must be aware?

MK don't be a tool mate.  Hull boss Slutsky is best mates with Chelsea owner Roman.  He's going to Hull or Hull...end of story!

I am expecting deals for Mulgrew and Hutton tied up soon if I am honest. Both seem like deals we could get over the line pretty quickly. Perhaps the players are after more assurances about there roles in the side and that they want to be more than just back up players.

40 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I am expecting deals for Mulgrew and Hutton tied up soon if I am honest. Both seem like deals we could get over the line pretty quickly. Perhaps the players are after more assurances about there roles in the side and that they want to be more than just back up players.

What a let down that would be, if that was all we could come up with after looking at over 200 defenders