Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

22 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Another reason why I don't ascribe to it

But I would ask as to whether we have the resources to pump £5/6m into a top CB which seems to be the going rate. Is our slowness/frugality a matter of excellent business principles and determination to find the best deal and make out like we don't have as much money as we do? Or is it a case the budget just can't stretch enough so we're having to shop exclusively in that market now?

Time will tell, at the moment I'm putting faith that the management team can deliver the player we need before it's too late... but at the same time I'm acutely aware that it could be a case of the latter and we're going to be relying on a deadline day deal or loan

I think it's probably a combination of all the things you mention. With hindsight the club are probably wishing they'd not made the statement about getting business done early. If they hadn't we'd make nothing of the current situation because it's how we've rolled since DC took over.

9 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

Dom Howson @domhowson 5m

Carvalhal said he is not "desperate" to sign a new centre-back. Says #SWFC have not found the "correct one" yet.

Dom Howson @domhowson 5m

CC revealed he and his staff have looked at more than 200 centre-backs this summer. Have checked out England and foreign markets. #SWFC

Dom Howson @domhowson 5m

CC said: "We are not desperate even though everybody knows we need centre-backs. These kind of things take time." #SWFC

Dom Howson @domhowson 5m

CC: "We don't want to make mistakes. We have had chances to bring in centre-halves but we have not found the correct ones." #SWFC

Taking CC at his word (no reason not to), then that's all exactly what you want to hear

However, looked at more than 200 CB's? There must be more than 1 in 200 that's right for us? Still, guess that means whoever we bring in really will be utterly fantastic and exactly what we need... sounds like no mistakes are going to be made

We are so close to being a team that can really challenge for the top 2, it's just getting frustrating that we haven't addressed the one big weakness in our squad - a lack of CB's. Really hope we can do before the season starts so we can start the season on the front foot and not have an excuse for a slow start as in previous seasons that has cost us. 

8 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I think it's probably a combination of all the things you mention. With hindsight the club are probably wishing they'd not made the statement about getting business done early. If they hadn't we'd make nothing of the current situation because it's how we've rolled since DC took over.

Exactly, we all expected the majority of our business to be done sharpish. It's difficult to look on when Huddersfield, who the last two seasons have completed nearly all of their business before July, and other Championship rivals, are doing a lot of deals over the 4 weeks at the end of June and beginning of July whilst we do one (very good) deal in an area that wasn't as pressing as the CB position after being told business would be done early. The implication is that things aren't going to the previously intended plan... further reinforced when we play a left back at CB for every single pre-season game.

It's clear from ours and Leeds' search for a CB that the market for them is not good this summer, and we are notoriously slow at getting deals done and quiet on rumours, but with the previous statement about wanting to get things sorted quickly, coupled with Pudil at CB... it's only natural people's hackles start to raise

Edited by StudentOwl

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

I still don't think we did, I reckon we offered a contract but he chose elsewhere because he knew he'd stay 3rd/4th choice here

Just a hunch based off of nothing mind

Reckon we offered a 1 year deal and he wanted more

18 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

As CC says these things do take time but we have known for so long we need a new CB or 2. It hasn't just been sprung on him. 

I think he should knock one on the head, stick him in the back of a van, and drive him up to Sheffield. 

21 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Taking CC at his word (no reason not to), then that's all exactly what you want to hear

However, looked at more than 200 CB's? There must be more than 1 in 200 that's right for us? Still, guess that means whoever we bring in really will be utterly fantastic and exactly what we need... sounds like no mistakes are going to be made

Really hope he is utterly fantastic and better than some of the names we have been linked with. 

25 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Makes you wonder why we released Sasso.  

I think we have to acknowledge that Sasso wanted first team football and a bit more contract security so whilst we'd have happily kept him as the 4th choice CB it didn't work for him which is fair enough.