Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, vulva said:

Genuine question - did you start watching Wednesday the week after Chansiri bought the club?

We may have shortcomings, and we may need a centre half, but compared to some pre seasons the last 15/20 years this squad we have at the minute is like the Hungary side of 1953. 

Thats a silly point and irrelative.

Its like saying oh don't worry about going for promotion as before Chansiri took over we only used to just survive. So it's ok.

Just now, RocketOwl said:

Thats a silly point and irrelative.

Its like saying oh don't worry about going for promotion as before Chansiri took over we only used to just survive. So it's ok.

I think you might need a break from it all. Have you considered Ice Hockey?

10 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

My interpretation of a proper winger is someone who hugs the touchline and hits the byline everytime.

10 hours ago, Shezza said:

And they have been extinct since the days of Stanley Matthews. 

Eric Potts used to do that....I thought he was after Sir Stan.

Guest RocketOwl
2 minutes ago, vulva said:

I think you might need a break from it all. Have you considered Ice Hockey?

I've mugged you right off and your reply is to be honest meh:

3 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

In which case, any half decent businessman would have seen it coming and wouldn't have splashed £6-10m (depending on the poster) for Rhodes, irrespective of how good he is.

I think Chansiri is better than half decent.

Genuine question... what's your evidence for this?

I've read a lot on here about how Chansiri is an excellent businessman... but he was born into an awful lot of wealth and it doesn't seem like he's done anything that almost anyone born into multiple millions can't do. What's the saying, you need money to make money? Very easy to make money when you already have lots of money. 

18 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Anyone who is happy currently despite going into the season with Lees and Loovens as our only centre backs have to look in the mirror and question is football for them.

We are an injury away from a makeshift defense starting the first game. Not acceptable for the second season in a row.

Exactly, but unfortunately these views are deemed to negative by the usual lot on here, it's almost that the truth hurts them. The amount of time the club's had to address these issues and strengthen in areas required, to what has actually been done is pathetic. And as I said in my other post, what a few of them got tearful about, every season we've known what areas we need to improve and yet we seem to ignore this and these unaddressed problems are still there and are noticeable. For those on here who are getting on the high horse because some of us don't think it's quite all rosey, you can bet they'll be the first to complain when we start the season hit and miss.

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Genuine question... what's your evidence for this?

I've read a lot on here about how Chansiri is an excellent businessman... but he was born into an awful lot of wealth and it doesn't seem like he's done anything that almost anyone born into multiple millions can't do. What's the saying, you need money to make money? Very easy to make money when you already have lots of money. 

Thats a fair point. I've got no evidence other than he's got money to spend and seems to be making (getting) money, somewhere.

But the alternative that you imply is that he isn't an excellent businessman, that he spent our summer transfer budget six months early in an area that wasn't a priority at the time, knowing that we would (if not promoted) then struggle to get a defender in the summer. I give him more credit than that.

Just now, Coyt said:

Exactly, but unfortunately these views are deemed to negative by the usual lot on here, it's almost that the truth hurts them. The amount of time the club's had to address these issues and strengthen in areas required, to what has actually been done is pathetic. And as I said in my other post, what a few of them got tearful about, every season we've known what areas we need to improve and yet we seem to ignore this and these unaddressed problems are still there and are noticeable. For those on here who are getting on the high horse because some of us don't think it's quite all rosey, you can bet they'll be the first to complain when we start the season hit and miss.

Outside of two center back additions the squad is fine. 

Cheer up ffs. 

Just now, SiJ said:

Outside of two center back additions the squad is fine. 

Cheer up ffs. 

Come off it SiJ, there's more than just 2 cbs required.

Just now, SiJ said:

What else is required then? 

You do whinge an awful lot. 

This makes me laugh,because I don't agree with you or certain others, it's labeled as whinging. A decent pacey winger and a centre midfielder with a bit of presence about them.

1 minute ago, Coyt said:

This makes me laugh,because I don't agree with you or certain others, it's labeled as whinging. A decent pacey winger and a centre midfielder with a bit of presence about them.

WE DONT PLAY WITH WINGERS. HOW MANY MORE TIMES FFS. 

HOW MANY MORE TIMES. 

3 minutes ago, Coyt said:

No...but you are a serial whinger. 

So ideally you'd like four more signings. Squad is still full of options despite that. 

Two center backs are the priority. 

A midfielder with a bit of presence would be nice. We ain't going to be playing with pacey wingers, so you can forget that one. 

Edited by SiJ

8 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Thats a fair point. I've got no evidence other than he's got money to spend and seems to be making (getting) money, somewhere.

But the alternative that you imply is that he isn't an excellent businessman, that he spent our summer transfer budget six months early in an area that wasn't a priority at the time, knowing that we would (if not promoted) then struggle to get a defender in the summer. I give him more credit than that.

No, too true... it'd be a mad thing to do. But we have seen chairman's do more bizarre/foolish things in English football over the last 5/10 years. That isn't me implying it has happened, far from it, got absolutely zero reason to believe he has and truthfully I would be very very surprised if that has been the case... but it certainly isn't an impossibility. 

Carlos don't play with pacy wingers or we would have about 7 clogging up the squad.

As for a midfield destroyer he don't really play with one of them either, Hutch on occasions. But I think he would prefer his midfielders to be able to read the ball to be able to intercept it rather then have another Hutchinson going through them all the time.