Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

1 minute ago, fpowl said:

Bannan, abdi, Charlie mulgrew 

Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb up top?

Would certainly set alarm bells going in the oppos defence.

(If you are under the age of 45 move along. Nothing to see here)

Edited by Holmowl

Half a dozen clubs doing business or at least linked with players .......us nothing.....we've known now or at least the fans have that we need another decent centre half and a central midfielder who bosses the middle , but again with 10 days to go till we play Preston , we've signed George Boyd !

If we break the ffp so be it it won't matter if we go up ,it seems teams like Wolves, Birmingham,Derby etc aren't worried!

3 minutes ago, Watto said:

Half a dozen clubs doing business or at least linked with players .......us nothing.....we've known now or at least the fans have that we need another decent centre half and a central midfielder who bosses the middle , but again with 10 days to go till we play Preston , we've signed George Boyd !

If we break the ffp so be it it won't matter if we go up ,it seems teams like Wolves, Birmingham,Derby etc aren't worried!

Derby are still in the black this season with transfers after selling Ince and Hughes

Also (correct me if I'm wrong) Brum have only paid fees for two players so far? The rest have been frees or loans?

Wolves are obviously a different story, but this was my point in a different thread: All these clubs doing business (minus Wolves) are doing so because they've sold assets. We seem to refuse to do that no matter how superfluous these assets are to the squad. Derby sold arguably their two best players and got about £14m combined for them... they've currently bought about £12m worth of players to replace them and have arguably improved their overall squad as a result. Good transfer business that, and they've still got cash to play with. We haven't sold a player since DC took over... not one. We have however bought in over 20 players(?) with quite a few of them essentially never playing. I'd imagine if you added up their wages over the last 24 months, you'd see we've wasted several million paying them to sit in the stands or on the bench... and that's several millions we could have spent on a Marc Roberts or a Harlee Dean. 

Let's hope there's more than enough cash left in the kitty and in FFP and we're just biding our time for a good deal eh? Because the last thing we want to be doing is looking back in September going "Wow if only we'd had that extra £5 million" to play with...

Midlands press - Villa trying for Sheyi Ojo & Ryan Kent..........

Aston Villa are one of a number of clubs interested in taking Liverpool youngster Ryan Kent, according to reports.

Having been linked previously with winger Sheyi Ojo, who is likely to be available on loan, Villa are thought to be keen on Kent too - though there are a whole host of clubs who would rival them.

Newly promoted Huddersfield could offer him Premier League football, while Derby, Leeds, Sunderland and Middlesbrough are among those in the Championship also said to be interested.

2 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Midlands press - Villa trying for Sheyi Ojo & Ryan Kent..........

Aston Villa are one of a number of clubs interested in taking Liverpool youngster Ryan Kent, according to reports.

Having been linked previously with winger Sheyi Ojo, who is likely to be available on loan, Villa are thought to be keen on Kent too - though there are a whole host of clubs who would rival them.

Newly promoted Huddersfield could offer him Premier League football, while Derby, Leeds, Sunderland and Middlesbrough are among those in the Championship also said to be interested.

Can't imagine Carlos going for Ojo (he's a greedy player), but surely Kent is someone we're looking at. 

3 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Can't imagine Carlos going for Ojo (he's a greedy player), but surely Kent is someone we're looking at. 

Agree but like your optimism. Apart from Reach CC doesn't really do youth more tried  and tested fits our recruitment strategy so doubt he is on our list.

Would like us to develop some younger players though, short term thinking re recruitment will come back to haunt us should we not be promoted his season or next with no youth coming through.

24 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Derby are still in the black this season with transfers after selling Ince and Hughes

Also (correct me if I'm wrong) Brum have only paid fees for two players so far? The rest have been frees or loans?

Wolves are obviously a different story, but this was my point in a different thread: All these clubs doing business (minus Wolves) are doing so because they've sold assets. We seem to refuse to do that no matter how superfluous these assets are to the squad. Derby sold arguably their two best players and got about £14m combined for them... they've currently bought about £12m worth of players to replace them and have arguably improved their overall squad as a result. Good transfer business that, and they've still got cash to play with. We haven't sold a player since DC took over... not one. We have however bought in over 20 players(?) with quite a few of them essentially never playing. I'd imagine if you added up their wages over the last 24 months, you'd see we've wasted several million paying them to sit in the stands or on the bench... and that's several millions we could have spent on a Marc Roberts or a Harlee Dean. 

Let's hope there's more than enough cash left in the kitty and in FFP and we're just biding our time for a good deal eh? Because the last thing we want to be doing is looking back in September going "Wow if only we'd had that extra £5 million" to play with...

Hughes was rated as one of the most talented young players in the championship and Ince was arguably their best player last season and although they have replaced them with quality it still remains to be seen if selling two of your greatest assets will pay off for them. 

Ince was really playing well for them last season and it's a gamble to take to hope that Lawrence can make the same impact. Although he did last season it doesn't mean he will do it for Derby.

Take Westwood for us. Everybody was up in arms about the thought of him leaving. Why?. Because it's the one thing we have got 100% right at this club.

Now I am all up for improving the squad. But I am 110% behind Chansiri in the fact that you don't sell your best players. Full stop.

I know its a lot easier said than done and they have rinsed some teams with transfer fees over the years, but how many major trophies do you think Tottenham would have had by now if they adopted the same principle.

12 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

CC doesn't sign/play out and out wingers.

Therefore, we won't be signing Kent.

Wallace is an out and out winger. But he's intelligent, a team player and works hard, so he fits into to Carlos' ethos. 

I'd be surprised if Carlos doesn't like Kent as a player as he's pretty similar from what I've seen.

Edited by IstillhateSteveBould

10 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Even the most happy Wednesday fans surely must be abit annoyed about the lack of signings and news from the club, been a very boring pre - season!Roll on PNE

I'm not dissapointed with the lack of news, because since DC took over everything has been kept hush hush and I'm actually all for that. The lack of a centre half is bothering me, although I do appreciate it isn't as easy as footy manager makes out

4 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Wallace is an out and out winger. But he's intelligent, a team player and works hard, so he fits into to Carlos' ethos. 

I'd be surprised if Carlos doesn't like Kent as a player as he's pretty similar from what I've seen.

I wouldn't say Wallace was an out and out winger.

Out and out wingers go on the outside. Wallace always comes inside.

Edited by pazowl55

13 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Even the most happy Wednesday fans surely must be abit annoyed about the lack of signings and news from the club, been a very boring pre - season!Roll on PNE

Nope.

Happy as Larry. I was worried sick at the prospect of Carlos trying/probably failing to bed in five new players.

Yes we could do with a CB. But that's all. And even if we fail I think Hutch, Lees and Loovens can see us thru handsomely to January.

3 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

He's not a flyer who goes on the outside, but I'd still say he's proper winger. 

My interpretation of a proper winger is someone who hugs the touchline and hits the byline everytime.

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Nope.

Happy as Larry. I was worried sick at the prospect of Carlos trying/probably failing to bed in five new players.

Yes we could do with a CB. But that's all. And even if we fail I think Hutch, Lees and Loovens can see us thru handsomely to January.

If you don't think we need another CM then you are a fool good sir

You sir, are a fool!