Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

Biggest problem with any players at Villa is whether the mad doctor will sell to us. Remember the whole Bennett scenario, we could end up spending valuable time focusing on one of their players only for him to pull the plug last minute again.

Elphick is available and I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Has promotion experience with Bournemouth and is a leader and I think that's the road we need to look at.

Brighton done similar bringing in experienced players who know what it takes to go up, with the likes of Murray, Sidwell, Knockaert.

14 hours ago, gingerknob1 said:

Jota please then at cb I think it will be Hanley 

Would be over the moon if this was the only bit of business all summer. Best player in the division behind Knockheart since January. 

1 hour ago, AyrshireOwl said:

Has promotion experience with Bournemouth and is a leader and I think that's the road we need to look at.

Brighton done similar bringing in experienced players who know what it takes to go up, with the likes of Murray, Sidwell, Knockaert.

I have a feeling he will be picked up pretty quickly by someone. Problem we have is that we are currently 2 weeks behind others on prepping for next season & we still don't know who the manager will be.

Personally I want Carlos for one more year & the way Loovens & Hutchinson talk about him makes me think the players do. But if he doesn't we need to get in a replacement asap.

Whoever comes in has to bring some pace to the squad, as well as quality. My feelings are that we need evolution rather than revolution. 

CB and wingers are a priority for me, maybe a CM. Reasonably happy with the rest of the squad and important we maintain the good team spirit, therefore a high turnover maybe counter productive?

5 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Who ever we bring in must be with the intention of them being in the starting eleven. We don't need any more squad fillers and back ups. Just 3 or 4 quality additions and a few more departures.

Cant disagree with that as we've got plenty of fringe players, need some real quality ones now that will play week in week out. 

49 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Is there any point signing wingers if they arnt going to play. Will Carlos change his tactics if he is still here next season? 

He will have to if he wants to get the best out of Rhodes. 

Give Rhodes the service and he will score. 

3 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Cant disagree with that as we've got plenty of fringe players, need some real quality ones now that will play week in week out. 

If they are going to play every week we need to concentrate more on the fitness records of people we sign.

Apart from Adam Reach the injury record of most of our signings under Carlos has been awful

We desperately need pace in the team - we haven't had the option of running in behind or at the opposition all season and is one of reasons behind our slow build up - we just don't have the pace!

Also need a CB to cover for Loovens, a right winger and if possible upgrades on both full backs. 

No no need to change current strike force - we just need to provide them with service!

16 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

If they are going to play every week we need to concentrate more on the fitness records of people we sign.

Apart from Adam Reach the injury record of most of our signings under Carlos has been awful

Absolutely. I think we have been horrificly unlucky this season though, throughout most of the season we've had at least one of Hooper, Forestieri, Abdi, Lee and Lees out, and at times 3/4 of them at once, particularly just after Christmas time. 

2 hours ago, AyrshireOwl said:

More or less exactly what I was about to type ! Be a great signing imo

If Elphick's available then absolutely.

Ryan Bennett's on a free from Norwich, would also add some competition at center back.

Hopefully we go back in for Callum Paterson who's contract's up at Hearts. Hunt's been doing better in recent months, but Paterson is a step ahead imo.

How about Connor Goldson from Brighton? been off for heart surgery, but seems to have recovered ok. Was a good player when I've seen him, good height, good age, and was on their bench before he went for surgery. Worth a punt for me, even just on a season long loan for him to get games.

Gary Mackay-Steven is probably going cheap from Celtic. Brendan Rodgers was keen to hang onto him till the end of the season, but I can't see him breaking in there ahead of Scott Sinclair. Quick, tricky winger.. the thing we don't have.  and the kind of player carlos likes in that he's in a lull and needs to re-establish himself.

tbh i feel like this summer is less about signings and more about settling on a style of play that wins games and gets everyone going. what we've got, with a but more depth at the back, is capable of automatic. it's about getting back to playing to our potential tho, control, rather than the contain we've done for most of this season.

If we look through the team there are certain posirtions more than others that need players:

Keeper - we're all set there thank you very much.

We need a right back - Hunt is OK but needs competition, while Palmer isn't good enough I'm afraid. Callum Paterson from Hearts has the talent but his present injury trouble would make things difficult.

We need a young centre back to develop, because Loovens isn't getting any younger and Sasso hasn't done enough to prove he can start week in, week out for us yet. Would potentially look at Liam Lindsay from Partick Thistle who's been superb this season, only non Celtic or Aberdeen player to make it into the SPFL team of the year. 

Got too many left backs as it is at present. If any leave then we could potentially think about one but I see it as unlikely.

Right winger - we need a bit of pace and trickery to compete with Wallace. Young Conor Mahoney at Blackburn is out of contract and may not fancy league one after some impressive showings this season, why not try him? McManaman may stay but I won't shed any tears if we don't bring him in, long-term could see him being a bad dressing room influence. One of my ideal signings for this summer would be Jota - one of the best players I've seen in person at Hillsborough, he's absolutely superb.

Central midfield - Hoping for Abdi to contribute more next season, he was starting to look like a top player (that goal at Forest... oof) then he got injured. We've got a lot of central midfielders here but I can't help but wonder if we need a bit of box-to-box strength and presence, it still bugs me to this day that we missed out on Rudy Austin. Aaron Tshibola from Villa may not be a bad shout, or possibly Maikel Kieftenbald from Birmingham. Dream signing would be Jackson Irvine from Burton Albion, he was absolutely superb at Hillsborough.

Left wing - hopefully we stick to playing Forestieri out here next season, but between him and Reach we're all set here. If Forestieri goes or Carlos stays and continues to play him off the striker, wouldn't mind trying to get George Boyd from Burnley, who would fit into Carlos' style well.

Striker - we've got bloody millions and definitely don't need to think about recruiting any more, just offloading some and potentially giving George Hirst a chance in the first team.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl