Carlos.. stay or go ???

I've always felt he'd be here for three years but as this thread shows I think we can all agree that whether or not he will be is very much in the balance.

I think on some levels we've progressed this season and on others we haven't and as a result there have been more question marks about whether or not Carlos is the right man to take us to the premier league.

I'll admit, I'm not sure but this is because I think the switch this season to a more pragmatic style seemingly has altered his thinking and he seems to have lost that flexible approach he seemed to have in his debut season and he has become bogged down by a safety first mantra, it happened to Stuart Gray and a change then was needed to freshen things up and move the club on.

And indeed the club did and have moved on to the point we are at today. The difference IMO to then and now is Carlos is DC's man and Gray wasn't and the decision was probably easier to make for the chairman.

I'm not sure if Carlos at this point wants to stay. Two years constantly away from his family and two hard championship campaigns have taken it's toll and I don't know if he's got a third campaign in him. When all said and done managing here in this country is far different to what he's experienced on the continent.

If he does stay he has to find a way to be more flexible in his approach, he has to release the shackles off the players a bit, he has to find a way to get more out of players like Jones and Abdi who know how to get promoted from this league. The squad is there, the first eleven needs to be upgraded a bit. I think next season which includes the 150th anniversary of the club has all the ingredients to be a season to remember for all of us with a Wednesday persuasion but before then perhaps one or two big decisions have to be made to increase our chances of making it so and this will include a decision about Carlos' future here at SWFC.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Whatever happens we are a different prospect now to what we were in the past, and with our recent record in the transfer market we shouldn't be worried about getting a manager of high quality in should CC leave 

Got to stay - 2nd best manager on record... You don't just flip the card on the basis that you'll get one better... Because the odds or not just 50/50 win or lose, they are a good deal worse.  Any new manager will have to go-some to better that 2nd best record.... Notwithstanding the players already being 100% behind CC, if any subsequent new manager was to come (starting from scratch) then possibly may not get the same level of respect from the players.. And we then go backwards! 

CARLOS MUST STAY FOR ME! 

I couldn't be more ambivalent about a manager if I tried. 

Carlos has done nothing glaringly bad for me that would stand out and say this guy must be replaced. His record is good but I would not go beyond that. Managers are measured by the resources that they have at hand and the way that they utilise them. I think Carlos has been incredibly backed by the Chairman and I do believe that he could have done better with what he had at his disposal.

My biggest gripe is investing so heavily in creative and attacking players then opting for a style that almost neutralised such players' ability.

I also feel that we might just live to regret the huge opportunity that just passed us by but I can accept that and move on if we hit the ground running next season and give automatic promotion a real go.

From where I sit, Carlos has done to warrant dismissal but equally I seen nothing that would make me feel that this guy must stay. I sit firmly on the fence. Go or stay, I can accept the situation and move on to next season.

1 hour ago, owls-swfc said:

Got to stay - 2nd best manager on record... You don't just flip the card on the basis that you'll get one better... Because the odds or not just 50/50 win or lose, they are a good deal worse.  Any new manager will have to go-some to better that 2nd best record.... Notwithstanding the players already being 100% behind CC, if any subsequent new manager was to come (starting from scratch) then possibly may not get the same level of respect from the players.. And we then go backwards! 

CARLOS MUST STAY FOR ME! 

This! 

We were never going to achieve a top two spot with the injuries we've had competing with Brighton. Carlos to stay and recruit wisely, and I'm sure we could compete for a top two next season. Continuity and building long-term is key for me. If Chansiri wants him to stay, he'll stay.

54 minutes ago, Shezza said:

This! 

We were never going to achieve a top two spot with the injuries we've had competing with Brighton. Carlos to stay and recruit wisely, and I'm sure we could compete for a top two next season. Continuity and building long-term is key for me. If Chansiri wants him to stay, he'll stay.

What makes you think our recruitment will be different. It was appalling this season, couple that with fact that despite that our starting line up hasnt changed. Where is the advancement there?

One thing that has struck me about the whole situation with CC is that when he signed the 3 year deal before the playoff final last season he came out and said 'I didn't want to sign for that long - I wanted one year - but the chairman wanted three.'

If this is just down to how happy he is with life in the country, then it's the right decision if he moves on.

DC giving him a 3 year deal at that point shows he had his full backing and I don't think that is even in question now.

For it now to come out that it was only a 1 year deal he signed after publicly coming out and stating that it was 3 years suggests this is solely CC's choice to go, if indeed he does.

I for one don't want to see him leave as I still believe that he can finish the job he started and get us up - perhaps the cautious approach this season has been more down to ensuring we were in the mix as opposed to being blown out of the race by being too cavalier. 

Like everyone, I have my issues with Carlos, but questioning his tactical nous is pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

His "poor tactics" have guided us to 4th position in an incredibly tough league. 

He's approached it in a way that he thinks would give us the best chance of promotion. And we were a penalty shootout away from a 2nd successive playoff final. A very good achievement itself. 

Id like to see a more attacking, dynamic style, but people really need to be careful what they wish for. There are many examples of teams who have been pleasing on the eye but failed to challenge for promotion. 

Its about striking a balance and with 2 strong seasons under his belt, perhaps Carlos is our best hope of finding that balance.