Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Agreed in that Carlos didn't utilise his squad properly - that squad should have been playing last seasons football.

 

However, I wonder if Carlos decided to try something different given last seasons exciting football ended in failure and he believed this more conservative style would win the day?

 

Love Carlos, but think he got the style wrong this season. I believe he'll step down and move back to his family in Portugal - and I wish him every success, happiness and say a massive thanks. A great man and an unbelievable character.

 

If he stays, he'll get my full support and I fully expect he'll change his football philosophy back to what we saw in the first season.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree with the points made.

In one sense we have progressed from last season by accumulating more points without ever looking an automatic promotion team,or having a balanced squad that could cope with a step up to the top flight.

We have ground out some results to hover around the top 6 for most of the season,but I really have not enjoyed many of the performances at home.

I hesitate to say that we have wasted money on several players,as I feel that another manager may use them better.

Its time for a new manager to thin down the squad and make the key signings needed for a real improvement.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Agreed in that Carlos didn't utilise his squad properly - that squad should have been playing last seasons football.

 

However, I wonder if Carlos decided to try something different given last seasons exciting football ended in failure and he believed this more conservative style would win the day?

 

Love Carlos, but think he got the style wrong this season. I believe he'll step down and move back to his family in Portugal - and I wish him every success, happiness and say a massive thanks. A great man and an unbelievable character.

 

If he stays, he'll get my full support and I fully expect he'll change his football philosophy back to what we saw in the first season.

If Carlos stays ,I hope you are right in your observations and he learns lessons, as it will be harder than ever next season.

Like all our managers I will be 100% behind him. 

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ScrappyOwl said:

As much as I like Carlos the man I can't help but feel his tenure should be over.

He has had a budget and a squad that most championship managers could only dream of, but, has failed to mould a cohesive team with the ability to use pace,width,physicalityand 

skill in equal measure.

Many on this forum have been critical of Rhodes but can we honestly say that Carlos has played to his strengths,has he been given good service?Rhodes is a predatory 'fox in the box'

player, we should know this given the number of times he has scored against us in the past!Given the proper service he would have fired us into the premier league no doubt, instead he has been fed scraps for 4 months.Sadly him not wanting to take a penalty last night tells you everything about want has happened to him since his arrival.

I, for one, want our next manager to build a team around him, give him the service and then sit back and watch the net bulge.

Undoubtedly Carlos has suffered injury problems but for us to pin our hopes on having Hoops back in time for the play-offs was clutching at straws given his horrendous injury record.

Therefore where was plan B or C or D-well I'm afraid their wasn't, what we got was 3 centre midfielders shoehorned into the team, no width, no service to the front men and subsequently we were given the run around by a well organised athletic team but not a team of our quality.

Many comments have been made of our nervous crowd last night, well I suspect that the way we have played most of the season would explain that .I think if most of us were being honest we knew what was likely to happen.

In a nutshell, with the squad we have I really believe that any of Benitez,Houghton,Staam and Wagner would have got us promoted this season.

So for me it has to be goodbye to the lovely, charismatic Carlos-good luck my friend and thank you for all your efforts.  

 

 

 

 

Where are you going to find a manager whose better? And who will have to understand that if he doesn't better CC's record in the first season then he will be sacked.

 

The top class managers will look elsewhere.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think it's time for Carlos to go cause if he stays you know if fit he's always going to pick Bannan, Hutch, Lee and Wallace even though it makes our side completely unbalanced. He's proved this for the last 2 seasons, I'm not slating them as players cause they've all been class as times for us but you just can't play them all in the same side cause we don't create anything and we put virtually no crosses in the box.

Fessi must be played out wide as it's just a waste up front and we've got plenty of proper quality strikers.

Nuhiu should be gone cause he's absolute garbage, my heart sank when he came on last night.

I think a new manager with a couple of quality wingers plus some additions to the defence and we can really have a go at automatic next season.

Carlos thanks for the memories but it's time to move on.

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScrappyOwl said:

If Carlos stays ,I hope you are right in your observations and he learns lessons, as it will be harder than ever next season.

Like all our managers I will be 100% behind him. 

 

 

 

The ideal scenario is Carlos stays, find the right balance between season one and season two, and makes the necessary minor changes to the squad.

 

I'm not sure next season will be harder. The teams coming down have a big re-building job (and two are still up for sale) and may well all get new managers over the summer. None of them have the finance of Newcastle either! Villa, Norwich, Derby and Wolves should be fighting for promotion, but I don't think Huddersfield/Reading (whoever failed to go up) will have as good a season. Same goes for Leeds. We've also lost Brighton who are an excellent team. The teams coming up are probably of the quality of the teams going down, though we'll have the unpredictability of a Sheffield derby thrown in to the mix.

 

Assuming all goes as expected, I see the realistic challengers for the top 6 as follows;

 

Wednesday

Villa

Norwich

Derby

Wolves

Middlesbrough

Fulham

 

Unless I've missed something glaringly obvious I don't think that is any more difficult than this season.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Holmes said:

 

Where are you going to find a manager whose better? And who will have to understand that if he doesn't better CC's record in the first season then he will be sacked.

 

The top class managers will look elsewhere.

 

 

Still believe our squad was good enough but not utilised to its best, plenty of managers out there who would love to come to a club of our size and resources

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Assuming all goes as expected, I see the realistic challengers for the top 6 as follows;

 

Wednesday

Villa

Norwich

Derby

Wolves

Middlesbrough

Fulham

 

Unless I've missed something glaringly obvious I don't think that is any more difficult than this season.

 

Wednesday

Huddersfield/Reading

Middlesbrough

Fulham

Hull

Leeds

Sunderland

Norwich?

Derby?

Villa?

 

You never know whether it'd be more difficult than this season. This year you wouldn't have predicted Leeds, Reading, Huddersfield & Fulham in or close to the top 6. They finished 13th, 17th, 19th & 20th in the previous season.

 

Then again, with the right players brought in, and good tactics from the manager (whoever that is), we could even finish 1st!

Edited by Pulcinella
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

almost wrote word for word to my mates,

 

totally agree

 

Love the man, but hes been given everything he wants. cant fault the squad, the fans, the chairman, the budget, who do we look at!

Build around rhodes and FF for me, bannan can feed him.

 

Dont know who to bring in but it needs fresh eyes.

 

BUT if he stays, 110% give him the backing, hope he learns and builds,

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

 

Wednesday

Huddersfield/Reading

Middlesbrough

Fulham

Hull

Leeds

Sunderland

Norwich?

Derby?

Villa?

 

You never know whether it'd be more difficult than this season. This year you wouldn't have predicted Leeds, Reading, Huddersfield & Fulham in or close to the top 6. They finished 13th, 17th, 19th & 20th in the previous season.

 

Then again, with the right players brought in, and good tactics from the manager (whoever that is), we could even finish 1st!

 

Yes please! Not sure I can take another play-off! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DesWalker said:

We've gone from 13th to 6th then 4th under CC.

 

Bring a new man in and we start all over again.

 

The squad needs a bit of re-organisation and 2 or 3 key signings that's it.

 

He does however need to find a balance between his 2 seasons here though.  The attacking, free flowing football from his first season and the efficient, hard to beat style from this year.

 

We needed that after Wembley though and arguably he failed to do that. He didn't sort our defence out which was glaringly obvious he needed to do for this season. He signed a few more centre midfielders to shoehorn in with Lee, Bazza and Hutch. This season he signed two wide men on loan with quality, pace and experience that should've been starting week in week out in Macca and Buckley but decides not to and continues (as of last night) to squeeze 3 centre mids into a 4 man midfield. Don't get me started on the rest of his transfers.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

 

We needed that after Wembley though and arguably he failed to do that. He didn't sort our defence out which was glaringly obvious he needed to do for this season. He signed a few more centre midfielders to shoehorn in with Lee, Bazza and Hutch. This season he signed two wide men on loan with quality, pace and experience that should've been starting week in week out in Macca and Buckley but decides not to and continues (as of last night) to squeeze 3 centre mids into a 4 man midfield. Don't get me started on the rest of his transfers.

 

And he improved our league position by 2 places and 7 points in a very highly competitive league.  

 

Do that again next season and where do we end up?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ScrappyOwl said:

Still believe our squad was good enough but not utilised to its best, plenty of managers out there who would love to come to a club of our size and resources

 

 

Name one who is prepared to get us up in his first season or face the sack?

 

That's the demand now from you if you are a typical Wednesday fan.  

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ScrappyOwl said:

 

Many on this forum have been critical of Rhodes but can we honestly say that Carlos has played to his strengths,has he been given good service?Rhodes is a predatory 'fox in the box'

player, we should know this given the number of times he has scored against us in the past!Given the proper service he would have fired us into the premier league no doubt, instead he has been fed scraps for 4 months. luck my friend and thank you for all your efforts.  

 

 

 

Three shots on target in three hours of football. What the f*ck is that all about, in such vital games

The firepower we have, and the service we provide them is just baffling.

Rhodes must be so frustrated!

 

 

 

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DesWalker said:

 

And he improved our league position by 2 places and 7 points in a very highly competitive league.  

 

Do that again next season and where do we end up?

 

Yet we didn't get as far as we did last season so it's pretty irrelevant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks as if CC is going.

 

If he stayed, I think a Stuart Gray type figure to assist him would be better all round, somebody who is more practical in English football. For example, who decided to go to Hudds and play for 0-0 when they had a reserve goalie and when we have difficulty scoring vs strong midfields at home?

CC needed someone strong to tell him it was unwise.

 

I also think he has relied on ageing players with past reputations and I cannot agree that Rhodes would do better in a different line up. He looks spent, Fletcher looks a veteran and plays like one expecting the ball on a plate on his head or feet and both Loovens and Pudil have lost any pace they ever had. Winnall is the coming man but is  not a big enough ticket player for our team selectors. He should b first choice and we should try to offload Rhodes asap. It is sad to see him trundle around but he is clearly not the man he was three years ago. It happens.

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×