1. Pick a corner

2. Compose yourself

3. Look up-take a second-don't rush

4. Hit ball hard into corner you've already chosen

why on earth do the coaches not insist how the player takes a penalty. Hit it hard into the corner. It's so obviously the most successful way. I am upset by all that missing business from last night. I'll give you there is a lot of pressure on, but pressure doesn't affect how hard you want to shoot.

First rule of penalties is to know your 5 best and pick em before the match starts (yeh it may change with subs but that is why you have an order). Don't ask for volunteers FFS. I slate Nuhiu like most but he seems to stick em away all the time so why wasn't he the first one on the list? Not even in the 5, totally bizarre. 

5 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

First rule of penalties is to know your 5 best and pick em before the match starts (yeh it may change with subs but that is why you have an order). Don't ask for volunteers FFS. I slate Nuhiu like most but he seems to stick em away all the time so why wasn't he the first one on the list? Not even in the 5, totally bizarre. 

I thought he was brought on to take a penalty, it makes the decision to bring him on even more WTF now

Just now, oasismark said:

The point being, nerves can play a massive factor, and you cannot practice being nervous.

Yes my point is that nerves shouldn't affect the decisions you make, if you aim for a corner and hit it hard that is your best chance of scoring, so why do we have Hutch and Forestieri hitting it slowly down the middle? that is how they've decided to take them not nerves

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yes my point is that nerves shouldn't affect the decisions you make, if you aim for a corner and hit it hard that is your best chance of scoring, so why do we have Hutch and Forestieri hitting it slowly down the middle? that is how they've decided to take them not nerves

but they do, pressure, tenseness, 'what if i miss'  all will effect what you plan to do and what happens. Maybe they aimed for the corner?

not in mood to argue pal, still gutted, guess as fans we'll never have this pressure on us. and will never know.

UTO

Just now, oasismark said:

but they do, pressure, tenseness, 'what if i miss'  all will effect what you plan to do and what happens. Maybe they aimed for the corner?

not in mood to argue pal, still gutted, guess as fans we'll never have this pressure on us. and will never know.

UTO

You can't argue that they did aim for the corner but nerves stopped them so they hit it down the middle anyway tbf

UTO

1 hour ago, oasismark said:

As Phil 'The Power' Taylor once said about darts.

'You can practice throwing darts all you want, but you cant practice sh|ting yourself.'

You can if you've  had a vindaloo curry and an extra large donner kebab with hot chilli sauce on it

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Maybe they got nervous and decided that. Nerves play a massive part in this and that Taylor quote is spot on.

Fernandos penalty was awful but got to give him credit for taking the last one

the biggest penalty in his career

millions watching

the hopes of fans in the ground and around the world hanging on that penalty.

anyone saying they wouldn't shitt themselves are talking bolloxs

I read an article a few weeks ago on a study that had been conducted on penalty shootouts. It had been analysing shootouts during the world cup games from what I can remember and it found that the percentage of each team was split 60/40... the team who started the shootout first were 60% more likely to win the shootout... and the second team 40% likely due to psychological pressures of being behind.. 

When I saw that they were going first and then they scored this popped up into my head... I hoped that we might have been the minority of the 40% to succeed but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.

3 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

What's your penalty taking record like in big pressure games?