I'm also still trying to get my head around why Nuhiu was brought on over Winnall last night.

I'm not saying it would have changed the outcome of the game, but I think it perfectly sums up Carlos' tactics over the two legs. Nuhiu spent more time in our box defending than he did at the other end of the pitch.

It's the story of our season for me - worrying about what the other team are going to do.

1 hour ago, Stoop said:

I think he brought Nuhiu on to try and get the best out of Rhodes tbf, as the ball wasn't sticking up top at all in extra time

Plays target man with team set up so defensive we had no runners and we rely on hoofing it up / the odd cross.

Takes off target man for finisher and maintains defensive mindset.

That decision was the most baffling.

Set aside the unbalanced team selection, The loss of Wallace after 2 minutes was a major if not fatal blow.

Quaner made the difference for them and Pudil was knackered and fell asleep again on more than one occasion.

would have put Reach at LB for the last 30 minutes when Pudil looked spent.

would have brought Winnall on alongside Fletcher.

we've had no real threatening pace all season and we have been reluctant to work an opposition keeper.  They looked vulnerable, especially the lumbering Hafele to pace or any swift combination play but excelled at dealing with balls over the top.

In fairness,  we have not been convincing all season despite some good results and we have been a shadow of the free-flowing side of last year.  Players have seemed stifled and caught in possession in a more rigid and less mobile approach.

CC looked tired and drained and sadly got a great opportunity wrong but it is nothing we haven't seen already in substantive parts of many games this year.

We are lucky to have these players but it boils down to their deployment and their respective roles in the team.  

It will be difficult now to expect a season relying on the experience and pain of last year to again motivate these players and IMO substantive changes are needed to key areas where fitness, personnel or set up has been found wanting.

Have a great summer - it s been emotional, frustrating and downright baffling but that's been true for 95% of my time supporting this club.....

2 hours ago, Kanye West said:

Massive summer ahead, whoever is in charge. We have arguably almost a squad to challenge top 2, with a few quality additions there's no way we shouldn't be next season. 

I think it's going to be much tougher than people think. Villa, Derby and Norwich will be flying next season. The three relegated prem sides having 100 million each in their warchest. Add Wolves, Fulham and the usual unexpected gatecrashers that no one saw coming. Our squad is aging, bloated and mentally scarred from two successive play off defeats. I think we'll fade away like Derby this season. Should we fail to go up next season I also believe that DC will start to lose interest, the funds will dry up and it'll all end in tears.

Carlos entire attitude to this 2-leg tie can be summed up by our most dangerous winger in McManaman not even getting a spot on the bench.  

I would have started him because he gives us width and the opposition something to worry about. 

But to not have him, or any wide threat on the bench?  Shocking and indicative of Carlos' almost paralysing defensive approach.

Edited by Owl_in_Oz

5 hours ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

the look on peoples faces when nuhiu came on the pitch,choice of winnall or nuhiu and he picks nu-hope

dc has alot of thinking to do

Yes winnall was the obvious choice

3 hours ago, Live the Dream said:

Everybody gets over emotional about football win or lose.  Today we are livid, angry, disappointed, unhappy etc etc...

That's the nature of of the beast.  So, after the initial reaction, we take stock, consider the options and move on.

I believe Carlos, in many respects, has been a breath of fresh air.  His approach to the game, his press conferences, his broken English has kept us amused.  However, it looks like he's met his match.  He's had a lot of money to spend, some quality players at his disposal and a stronger squad than this time last year.  He's also had a chairman, who promised Premiership football in 2 years, breathing down his neck.  So, I think its inevitable that he'll leave the club in the very near future.  It's a high pressure situation and he knows all about the expectation from his chairman, the fans and the local media.  The chairman hasn't pumped all his money into our club for nothing.  He's determined to get us promoted and if that means a new direction/manager than so be it.  I believe Carlos, a proud man, will walk before he's pushed.

So, whose next.  I would expect the next guy to be tried and tested.  Unfortunately there's not much to choose from:  Pardew is constantly mentioned - not for me,  I like the Fulham guy but he's unlikely to move up here, Steve Bruce is still finding his feet at Villa, MacLaren - no, Pearson - takes no prisoners and lives in the city but it's said he doesn't want it.  My choice would be Gary Monk whose Leeds contract is up in the Summer.

Up The Owls

Can't argue with monk, did a very good job of getting the best out of what he had. 

Guest Coyt
20 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

I think it's going to be much tougher than people think. Villa, Derby and Norwich will be flying next season. The three relegated prem sides having 100 million each in their warchest. Add Wolves, Fulham and the usual unexpected gatecrashers that no one saw coming. Our squad is aging, bloated and mentally scarred from two successive play off defeats. I think we'll fade away like Derby this season. Should we fail to go up next season I also believe that DC will start to lose interest, the funds will dry up and it'll all end in tears.

Have to agree with most of this although not so much on the DC part. I can't see him just losing interest and walking away when he's invested so much into the club. I would guess he would seek another buyer/investor if that was to happen.

I just thought CC has done has much as he can, if we want to progress we need fresh input some one with a plan B and different style's of playing football.

Looking at CC last night and on the TV today he looks drained and spent.

I just can't see us under him getting any better.

He's done a good job not great as he's had more money to spend then any other Wednesday Manager that i can remember and I've been watching them for 35 years.

So its thank you very much for the memory's CC and good luck but we need change at the club now.

3 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

Huddersfield totally outplayed us over both legs.

No they didn't, they just about edged it, and mostly because we let em. We were far too negative, and yet Hudds only just beat us, fluky own goal and German penalty takers did us.

We were foookin awful for long spells but still stopped em.

Carlos's fault, should have left Fletch on if poss or swap for Winall....maybe even have brought him on when Wallace went,

Serious mistakes imho. And even after all that Hudds couldn't beat us, they shaded it that's all.

I don't understand why last season we played some beautiful attacking football yet this season CC changed our style of play. Please go back to that next season if you are still here CC. With the extra quality we have I'm sure we could do some serious damage if we are free to play attacking football. 

6 hours ago, Blue and white said:

So after letting the dust settle I can honestly say I'm livid.

Livid at the team selection.

Livid that we played the same team that played in last years final with the exception of Fletch for Hooper.

Livid that there was over 20m pounds worth of talent sat on the bench.

Livid that our tactics were a disaster waiting to happen.

Livid that we went down without a fight.

Livid at the fact we have blown a golden opportunity.

Livid that we have managed to take quality players like Abdi, Rhodes, McManaman and make them look poor.

For me there is only one outcome and that is to replace Carlos ASAP, lets get someone in with a proven track record of promotion and lets go for it next season.

So we need a proven track record manager who has got one season to get us up if not he will be sacked.

Great plan.

Far too negative last night, far too negative all season apart from the odd game that showed what our talented players are capable of. 

Last night there was a big gaping hole between midfield and the strikers, so, instead of playing football on the floor with our small and lightweight midfielders to create something, we had to resort to hoofball and hope for the best. 

We have more about us than having to play like that surely ? Huddersfield had more players in advanced positions in open play than we had and we were playing at home - we should have 'gone for it' for goodness sake !

The strikers were mainly ineffective as there was little assistance from midfield because they were playing too deep - we can have the best strikers in the world, but if service isn't provided to them they will not score. 

How we could do with strong, pacy wingers who know how to beat a man, get to the byline, and put a decent cross in ? Where have I seen that type of player ? Oh yes, in the Huddersfield team last night ! 

If you want to create a £10 million PROVEN goal scorer in to a £1 million one come and play for the Owls ! 

As for bringing Nuhiu on in preference to another PROVEN goal scorer - well, say no more ! 

Anyhow, it's got to be onwards and, hopefully, upwards for next season as we achieve automatic promotion !

WAWAW ? 

Guest ka58
52 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Yeah i realised after id typed it in a re read it. Was still strange bringing him on with Winnal on the bench.

I agree winnal should have come on.

I'm not livid no but i can understand why the OP and others are

I'm absolutely gutted and extremely frustrated and disappointed with how we were set up, how we went about the game last night and probably most of the season and how we did not take it to Huddersfield and put them on the back foot ...

We were very insipid and flattered to deceive and that wasn't for the first time neither ..

for all the attacking talent at our disposal, for all the heavy spending, for what we have on paper, this season and the way we limped out of the play offs has been a massive and major disappointment ...

:(

23 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

No they didn't, they just about edged it, and mostly because we let em. We were far too negative, and yet Hudds only just beat us, fluky own goal and German penalty takers did us.

We were foookin awful for long spells but still stopped em.

Carlos's fault, should have left Fletch on if poss or swap for Winall....maybe even have brought him on when Wallace went,

Serious mistakes imho. And even after all that Hudds couldn't beat us, they shaded it that's all.

Watch both games back.

They didn't shade it, they were worthy winners IMO.