The fans...

As a fan base we have so much passion for the club it is unreal.

We want so badly to see them do well it hurts.

The support we gave them last night was immense. When the goal went in  . . .spine tingling.

Ive been going for 30 years and for these big games we never fail to deliver. 

I watched our goal back this morning and the commentator was in awe!

Pure release of raw emotion!!!

Now, when you want something so much, emotions always spill over, whether it be nervous relative quite, anxious shouting, etc, but this is a tiny downside to the unbelievable amount of positives our backing brings.

We are a proper club with proper supporters, the Premier League would be a better place with us in it.

The crowd did their part last night, but its a 2 way thing, the players have to do theirs too. Not having a pop at the players as it's the tactics that have been our downfall this season. 

Last nights performance was no different to 85% of this season. The sideways and backwards passing with no little or tempo saps energy for the crowd and game in general. The number of times I've switched off this season during games, being bored if i'm honest has been all to often. Last night, occasion aside, it was no different. 

6 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Thought the atmosphere when the teams came out last night was fantastic.

Also when Fletcher goal went in and the lights on the mobiles came out was brilliant to see.

But after Huddersfield goal I thought the crowd and the team were both disappointing from then on. Was a few songs got going but it seemed as the belief in the crowd had evaporated.

I thought the crowd saw the team reaction and lost hope.....................there was still plenty of time left but we looked beaten, no rallying cries to each other , nothing.

13 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

...have to take some of the blame for me.

It was a nervous crowd tonight, and that transferred to the pitch, especially towards the end and during the penalties.

All day I saw posts and comments from fans saying how nervous they were and how they were feeling sick, etc. I think that went on too much and made everyone too nervous instead of excited.

There wasn't the continuous legendary 'wall of noise' we had against Brighton last season and it showed in the performance on the pitch. Last season it was the crowd that carried the team through that game and were the extra man. We were all awesome for a while after our goal and for that time Huddersfield were at sixes and sevens struggling with the atmosphere against them, but it died down too quickly.

And we just weren't intimidating enough during their penalties and didn't take advantage of kicking at the Kop end.

Carlos and the team have all said time and time again the fans are the 12th man and make the difference - we need to live up to that like we absolutely can if we're in this position again next season (heck, throughout the whole season as we go for automatic!!).

COME ON WEDNESDAY!

Yeah mate blame us - I drove a 500 mile round trip to go and watch my team play and got back at 0330 this morning! The atmosphere was nervy but we needed a fast start and it never materialised.  With regards to their penalties bar the one Westwood saved the others were unstoppable.

13 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

...have to take some of the blame for me.

It was a nervous crowd tonight, and that transferred to the pitch, especially towards the end and during the penalties.

Of course it was a "nervous crowd" but it was also an expectant one.....expectant that the players would be up for it. And they should have been.

For Christ's sake.....as a professional footballer these are nights you should live for.

26 minutes ago, torres said:

As a fan base we have so much passion for the club it is unreal.

We want so badly to see them do well it hurts.

The support we gave them last night was immense. When the goal went in  . . .spine tingling.

Ive been going for 30 years and for these big games we never fail to deliver. 

I watched our goal back this morning and the commentator was in awe!

Pure release of raw emotion!!!

Now, when you want something so much, emotions always spill over, whether it be nervous relative quite, anxious shouting, etc, but this is a tiny downside to the unbelievable amount of positives our backing brings.

We are a proper club with proper supporters, the Premier League would be a better place with us in it.

No, you really dont.

You are without doubt one of the quietest fans in the division, home and away.

If it wasnt for your dreadful musical instruments, there'd be no atmosphere whatsoever apart from the usual whinging and moaning.

23 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

I thought the crowd saw the team reaction and lost hope.....................there was still plenty of time left but we looked beaten, no rallying cries to each other , nothing.

Exactly....this.

Yeh of course there was noise when you scored, and the whole phone light thing like a boyband concert is all very nice if youre a 13 year old girl at a One Direction concert, but the rest of the game, as you say.....nothing.

29 minutes ago, Mr Meadows said:

apart from 5 mins after we scored the atmosphere was poor for such a massive game

Correct again.....just like every other game at Hillsborough.  

2 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

I absolutely stand by the OP and the evidence is on my side.

Just compare the Brighton atmosphere last season to last night - there's no comparison.

And when the ground was rocking for a short while after the goal, Huddersfield couldn't handle it and were second to everything. As soon as that died down, they got themselves together again.

I appreciate we all spend and don't play the actual game or come up with the tactics, but we are a cog in the machine (as the manager and players all keep saying) and definitely have to take a share of the blame when we don't do our part to the levels we all know we can and have done in the past.

Put it this way: If it comes down to a chicken-and-egg scenario where the team doesn't perform as well without that vocal backing of the fans but the fans don't get vocal without the team playing decent then we're in a viscous cycle - we need to do our part regardless in the big games like this and I don't feel the fans did so last night.

Brighton game was completely different.

We had a goal controversially disallowed which got the fans going. Wallace scored a screamer got the fans going. Knockaert went off injured got the fans going. Brighton went down to 10 men got the fans going. We killed the game off got the fans going.

Last night it was a turgid 0-0 first half. The fans were immense when Fletch scored, but then we sat back and let them get back into it. 

What happens on the pitch influences the crowd. The support, singing was incredible last night for 120 minutes under the pressure and circumstances of the game. You are talking absolute rubbish 

Yeah you're right, it's the fans fault ...

haha unbelievable there have been some stupid posts on here in the last 24 hours but the OP is on another level. 

Are the fans to blame for the fact that we couldn't string two passes together in the away leg as well? 

Give over, the buck stops with Carlos.

Wasn't the Fans that caused the loss but we need to move on from certain tin pot things. Relying on drums to set the tone, 'were on our way' (every five mins), flashlights (great last year, not this), and arrogance in abundance from a large % of our fans by talking about 'wembley, The green Man pub, what hotel staying in, how easy beating Reading would be' DAYS before the first semi final. All this lot made us cannon fodder for even neutral fans never mind them that had been praying for us to lose. Oh and this forum needs to put a filter on the swear word 'Wembley' for 12 mths. Cheers. 

4 minutes ago, Semedo's ferret said:

Wasn't the Fans that caused the loss but we need to move on from certain tin pot things. Relying on drums to set the tone, 'were on our way' (every five mins), flashlights (great last year, not this), and arrogance in abundance from a large % of our fans by talking about 'wembley, The green Man pub, what hotel staying in, how easy beating Reading would be' DAYS before the first semi final. All this lot made us cannon fodder for even neutral fans never mind them that had been praying for us to lose. Oh and this forum needs to put a filter on the swear word 'Wembley' for 12 mths. Cheers. 

Can't plus this enough.

The over confidence going into this was absolutely bizarre. Just because we get good support a lot of us assume we should have sweeped Hudders, Fulham and Reading aside. A lot of fans taking pleasure right now in mocking our arrogance and as a fanbase next season we need to be more respectable and realise yes we have good support and money but we have been out the top flight for nearly 20 years. 

Everything was perfectly set up to fail in typical Wednesday fashion on and off the pitch last night. Awful evening and awful feeling, deflated isn't even the word.

5 hours ago, LoadABallacks said:

The crowd did their part last night, but its a 2 way thing, the players have to do theirs too. Not having a pop at the players as it's the tactics that have been our downfall this season. 

Last nights performance was no different to 85% of this season. The sideways and backwards passing with no little or tempo saps energy for the crowd and game in general. The number of times I've switched off this season during games, being bored if i'm honest has been all to often. Last night, occasion aside, it was no different. 

Absolutely, It wasn't as if the crowd were negative or got on the back of the team.

The atmosphere at the start was great but it is hard to sustain that when our pace of play comes down to walking pace with Loovens and our midfield drop back into our own half to pick up the ball and pass around in our own half.

That's the tactics that Carlos chose to go with and it was close to paying off. It is easy to say with hindsight that we would have been better off being more attacking but prior to last night Huddersfield had failed to score in 3 games against our tactical approach. Had we stayed switched on it looked like they might fail to score again and that 1 would be enough but if you are going to play that way then it is significantly more difficult to get the crowd involved at a sustained level. It is also understandable that the crowd are going to be nervous when the result hinges on fine margins and our team does not dictate the play.

The crowd were in full voice when we got the lead but taking Fletcher off was a mistake for me. He scored a fine goal and is more effective without the ball than Rhodes who seems to run slower than most people walk when chasing back. Rhodes is a box player who thrives on chances. That change handed more of the initiative back to them and took the noise of the crowd down a level as a result.