The fans...

Atmosphere was brilliant last night but I do wonder if some of supporters know anything about football. 

When Wallace went off kid next to me stood up shouting 'what we doing bringing Reach on, we should be bringing another forward on. 

Every time linesman put his flag up signaling a goal kick he kept saying he's flagging for offside. 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

The majority were emotionally drained by the time penalties came round. It's exhausting pushing the team on for 120 minutes plus. 

Oh I can imagine, I've been there many a time before - I wasn't being critical. I think our fans can make the difference, I just don't think we were on par with Brighton last season (and I completely understand why).

The one to blame for our failure this year is Carlos. Got it right in the first leg for me, but got it woefully wrong the second leg.

I absolutely stand by the OP and the evidence is on my side.

Just compare the Brighton atmosphere last season to last night - there's no comparison.

And when the ground was rocking for a short while after the goal, Huddersfield couldn't handle it and were second to everything. As soon as that died down, they got themselves together again.

I appreciate we all spend and don't play the actual game or come up with the tactics, but we are a cog in the machine (as the manager and players all keep saying) and definitely have to take a share of the blame when we don't do our part to the levels we all know we can and have done in the past.

Put it this way: If it comes down to a chicken-and-egg scenario where the team doesn't perform as well without that vocal backing of the fans but the fans don't get vocal without the team playing decent then we're in a viscous cycle - we need to do our part regardless in the big games like this and I don't feel the fans did so last night.

7 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Just compare the Brighton atmosphere last season to last night - there's no comparison.

And when the ground was rocking for a short while after the goal, Huddersfield couldn't handle it and were second to everything. As soon as that died down, they got themselves together again.

I appreciate we all spend and don't play the actual game or come up with the tactics, but we are a cog in the machine (as the manager and players all keep saying) and definitely have to take a share of the blame when we don't do our part to the levels we all know we can and have done in the past.

Put it this way: If it comes down to a chicken-and-egg scenario where the team doesn't perform as well without that vocal backing of the fans but the fans don't get vocal without the team playing decent then we're in a viscous cycle - we need to do our part regardless in the big games like this and I don't feel the fans did so last night.

One thing you have missed is our style of play can dictate the atmosphere from the crowd - and that is crucial. Play expansive football at home in a big game and you'll have the fans excited, and the nerves will die down a bit. However, play more negative defensive football and you'll get the crowd more nervous and less excited.

Thought was a great atmosphere in general but need to stop waving stupid camera lights around. Brilliant last year. Embarrassing last night. Songwriters need to get scribing ready for next season aswell. Think we might need a new album. 

Edited by Semedo's ferret

15 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

No comparison indeed - lets look at the facts:-

2016- 3 key injuries for Brighton and down to 10 men for 30 minutes 

2017- missing every second ball and being passed off the park by a pound shop team.

24 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Just cos we didn't sing for the whole 90 mins and more doesn't mean it's a bobbar atmosphere. That's a manufacturered one

Exactly this. It was an organic atmosphere, amazing at times, tense at others, but a real atmosphere. The crowd roared from all four sides last night. We were all there with the team and showed them we were ready to carry them forward if they were going to go for it.

25 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

No comparison indeed - lets look at the facts:-

2016- 3 key injuries for Brighton and down to 10 men for 30 minutes 

2017- missing every second ball and being passed off the park by a pound shop team.

True or not, this made me lol

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

Just now, hugeowl said:

Crowd performed better than the manager and team . 

End of thread .

Absolutely. 

It wasn't on a par with the Brighton game last year, but then our performance on the pitch wasn't anywhere near that standard. 

Despite that the atmosphere was by and large excellent and I don't think any of the players would be turning around and blaming the fans for going out last night. 

I'll put the OP down to one of the site owners trying to get the traffic up. 

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Oh I can imagine, I've been there many a time before - I wasn't being critical. I think our fans can make the difference, I just don't think we were on par with Brighton last season (and I completely understand why).

The one to blame for our failure this year is Carlos. Got it right in the first leg for me, but got it woefully wrong the second leg.

It shows how far we have come under both DC and CC when any fan can call getting into the playoffs a 'failure'.

Maybe our expectations have been raised too high after last seasons relative success?

Just now, Chilli said:

It shows how far we have come under both DC and CC when any fan can call getting into the playoffs a 'failure'.

Maybe our expectations have been raised too high after last seasons relative success?

Very true. We punched above our weight last season - like Huddersfield this - and that, along with talk of being in the Premier League for our 150th anniversary and big name signings, over-inflated our expectations and added pressure this team/manager isn't yet capable of dealing with?

The way Huddersfield played quietened the crowd - exactly what Wagner said he was going to do pre-match.

There were times when it was rocking, but it wasn't consistent like last year against Brighton. The reason for that? Excitement and was replaced with nerves and expectation.

The Kop for Huddersfield's first penalty was intimidating, then after we missed the nerves set in and it was like we'd just accepted it wasn't going to be our night. 

37 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Absolutely. 

It wasn't on a par with the Brighton game last year, but then our performance on the pitch wasn't anywhere near that standard. 

Despite that the atmosphere was by and large excellent and I don't think any of the players would be turning around and blaming the fans for going out last night. 

I'll put the OP down to one of the site owners trying to get the traffic up. 

No I dont think its for traffic i think it's just delusion. We did our bit but two hours of frustration couldn't be sustained.

I'm annoyed about this. 

And I never post. 

We've been out of the top flight for 17 years. Since then, we've been in League One twice, endured winding up orders, Stevie May and Hasif Mammadov. 

Sheffield is the 4th largest city in England; with that, comes stress, pride, and trepidation. 

The crowd was nervous last night, and you know what, how could you ever ask for anything else? Every single person in their seat has seen so much heartache in recent times and to be promoted means so so much. 

To not be nervous is to not care. 

To say the crowd had a negative effect last night is to say you wish the fans had other things on their mind, and none of us would want that.

Its sad to think the people I sat around in the Kop last night should feel any responsibility for the result. I feel proud to my gut to be a Sheffield Wednesday fan and to sit around the people I did last night.

And I wouldn't change a thing. 

WAWAW. 

Thought the atmosphere when the teams came out last night was fantastic.

Also when Fletcher goal went in and the lights on the mobiles came out was brilliant to see.

But after Huddersfield goal I thought the crowd and the team were both disappointing from then on. Was a few songs got going but it seemed as the belief in the crowd had evaporated.