The fans...

Fans were well up for it and ready for a high tempo start. Carlos decided to ignore this advantage and play s slow deep lying game. Fans kept it going despite this but ffs that was a nightmare to watch.

6 hours ago, vulva said:

Reason we lost is that we went 1 up, then sat back. Last season we went 1 up v Brighton and ploughed forward, winning the tie. 

Carlos has looked at Hull and Boro, and tried to copy their defensive mentality. Its backfired. 

Brighton had ten men last season hence why you ploughed forward.  Didnt get such a gift last night.

8 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

...have to take some of the blame for me.

It was a nervous crowd tonight, and that transferred to the pitch, especially towards the end and during the penalties.

All day I saw posts and comments from fans saying how nervous they were and how they were feeling sick, etc. I think that went on too much and made everyone too nervous instead of excited.

There wasn't the continuous legendary 'wall of noise' we had against Brighton last season and it showed in the performance on the pitch. Last season it was the crowd that carried the team through that game and were the extra man. We were all awesome for a while after our goal and for that time Huddersfield were at sixes and sevens struggling with the atmosphere against them, but it died down too quickly.

And we just weren't intimidating enough during their penalties and didn't take advantage of kicking at the Kop end.

Carlos and the team have all said time and time again the fans are the 12th man and make the difference - we need to live up to that like we absolutely can if we're in this position again next season (heck, throughout the whole season as we go for automatic!!).

COME ON WEDNESDAY!

UTTER BOLACKS

7 hours ago, Owl_in_Oz said:

What did we have, about 3 shots on target during normal time across both legs? 

The team with Carlos' set up don't give the fans a reason to get excited. 

The Brighton away leg last year was a rocking atmosphere in the first 20 because their team was attacking relentlessly. 

We on the other hand have strikers who can go a full half without touching the ball.  No wonder the fans struggle to get excited.

Because the team isn't balanced.

Defence not good enough.

Would you rather score loads of goals and finish 14th or have a go at promotion?..

3 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

Because the team isn't balanced.

Defence not good enough.

Would you rather score loads of goals and finish 14th or have a go at promotion?..

If we scored loads of goals I doubt we'd be finishing 14th. 

I don't see 'scoring loads of goals' and 'keeping things tight' as mutually exclusive either.  

I'm sure we can keep our defence in order whilst playing a more dynamic style of football.  That's what good teams do.

Just now, Owl_in_Oz said:

If we scored loads of goals I doubt we'd be finishing 14th. 

I don't see 'scoring loads of goals' and 'keeping things tight' as mutually exclusive either.  

I'm sure we can keep our defence in order whilst playing a more dynamic style of football.  That's what good teams do.

My point was the goal difference between 10 9 and 1 0 is the same but going for it more often would probably lead to more conceded goals more often tipping the balance against us so more losses.

Who says we are a good team?

Carlos is still trying to find defenders within the parameters...

Just now, zico.b said:

Not really though. One was you having the most successful season in your 9 year history, the other was us qualifying for the play offs.

:ghoulguy:

See you next year.

Will you be back to your customary thousand away fans?

I'm sure you mean well but I'm sorry you are wrong.

It's hard to 'be the 12th man' when the 11 on the pitch are getting turned inside out.

We had momentum for a brief period at 1-0 but apart from that we were pîssing in the wind.

We couldn't make any second balls count and watching a team play like Barcelona running rings around us, that cost as much as Rotherham, is hard to stomach.

The blame is clear as day light, and has been all season. Its not working. Don't tarnish the support especially now.

9 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

It was a nervous crowd tonight, and that transferred to the pitch, especially towards the end and during the penalties.

All day I saw posts and comments from fans saying how nervous they were and how they were feeling sick, etc. I think that went on too much and made everyone too nervous instead of excited.

There wasn't the continuous legendary 'wall of noise' we had against Brighton last season and it showed in the performance on the pitch. Last season it was the crowd that carried the team through that game and were the extra man. We were all awesome for a while after our goal and for that time Huddersfield were at sixes and sevens struggling with the atmosphere against them, but it died down too quickly.

And we just weren't intimidating enough during their penalties and didn't take advantage of kicking at the Kop end.

Carlos and the team have all said time and time again the fans are the 12th man and make the difference - we need to live up to that like we absolutely can if we're in this position again next season (heck, throughout the whole season as we go for automatic!!).

COME ON WEDNESDAY!

You sir are a complete wee pipe 

7 hours ago, vulva said:

Reason we lost is that we went 1 up, then sat back. Last season we went 1 up v Brighton and ploughed forward, winning the tie. 

Carlos has looked at Hull and Boro, and tried to copy their defensive mentality. Its backfired. 

This this this.

All well and good if you've got the defence to do it. Sadly our defence for me isn't good enough to sit on a 1-0 lead and defend. We have good defenders but not great defenders like Brighton and Reading do.

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

This this this.

All well and good if you've got the defence to do it. Sadly our defence for me isn't good enough to sit on a 1-0 lead and defend. We have good defenders but not great defenders like Brighton and Reading do.

I think you'll find that in 2nd half Hudders went more attacking even before our goal. They opened us up the same way several times and we were only defending because we had no means to attack.

8 hours ago, james o connor said:

With the exception of a few marry little boys after the game who can't take losing the fans were excellent. Just one of them things. Wednesday are garutneed to let you Down. Sod it im going through enjoy the summer. See you next season! 

If I were you, I'd spend the summer brushing up on my spelling, punctuation and grammar.

10 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

COME ON WEDNESDAY!

thrower

22 minutes ago, AlanLee said:

If I were you, I'd spend the summer brushing up on my spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Not always easy to type on an i phone when you have fat fingers and old man eyes. Sorry If I offended, I'll try to do better next time, just for you!!!!!!

Expected a better atmosphere (father-in-law - a neutral - said the same), especially with the pens being in front of the Kop.

BUT, the team has to help create a better atmosphere throughout the game - it's difficult to match the Brighton atmosphere when your team seems to be going through the motions and being too defensive at home.

That all said, I wasn't there (couldn't get the day off to make the long journey) so I've no right to make any worthwhile comment.

5 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Expected a better atmosphere (father-in-law - a neutral - said the same), especially with the pens being in front of the Kop.

BUT, the team has to help create a better atmosphere throughout the game - it's difficult to match the Brighton atmosphere when your team seems to be going through the motions and being too defensive at home.

That all said, I wasn't there (couldn't get the day off to make the long journey) so I've no right to make any worthwhile comment.

The majority were emotionally drained by the time penalties came round. It's exhausting pushing the team on for 120 minutes plus.