Poll: Man of the Match vs Huddersfield (2nd Leg)...and your player ratings

Man of the Match vs Huddersfield  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Huddersfield?

• Westwood
    • Hunt
    • Lees
    • Loovens
    • Pudil
    • Hutchinson
    • Lee
    • Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Forestieri
    • Wallace
    • Reach
    • Rhodes
    • Nuhiu

6 hours ago, wednesdaylander said:

Andre Mariner was Town's MoM. Knew we were up against it as soon as I saw his name. Always gives us nothing. Think a Wednesdayite shagged his wife. Admittedly we were poor, but always harder playing against 12. 

5 hours ago, MAL said:

Yeah he was schit.

Mooy should have been carded at lest 4 times, the other tvvvat should have gone early doors.

But Mariner was not the cause of most of our problems.

booking hutch so early on showed he was not being impartial, confirmed when he didn't penalise hudds players in the same way. Same with forestieri, even though he does go to ground and complain too easily, he def shouldve got more free kicks. problem here is reputation and ref not being impartial

but agreed, this shouldnt have been a problem, you have to wonder what goes through carlos' mind sometimes

23 minutes ago, fezokane said:

booking hutch so early on showed he was not being impartial, confirmed when he didn't penalise hudds players in the same way. Same with forestieri, even though he does go to ground and complain too easily, he def shouldve got more free kicks. problem here is reputation and ref not being impartial

but agreed, this shouldnt have been a problem, you have to wonder what goes through carlos' mind sometimes

Give over - Hutch should have been sent off but he let him off. Same with Hogg. That was good refereeing.

I've been very vocal about how I feel about Bannan, often slating him on here and I'll stick by my opinion and say it was justified at the time.

However he was immense last night and I think this is where my frustration stems from. We all know what he is capable of its those games where the opposition put too much pressure on him and he doesn't turn up

He was class last night. His passing, running at players and his sheer passion were all on display. He didn't stop all game and it looked like he wanted it more than others. Would be a great asset it he could score more..... Maybe he needs to pretend he's taking a penalty more often.

Westwood - 7

Hunt - 7

Loovens - 7

Lees - 7

Pudil - 6

Bannan - 7

Lee - 5

Hutch - 6

Reach - 4

Fletcher - 6

Fessi - 5

Carlos - 4

Sat down and thought about it but i can't give anyone over 7. There were some respectable performances. Thought the backline were pretty solid throughout until Pudil switched off for the goal, Bannan was industrious in midfield but loves the hollywood ball and up top i thought Fletcher and Fessi worked hard.. ish, but nothing came off for them, but overall we just didn't have enough or create enough to finish off Huddersfield. We'd have probably had the same problems in the final as well ... just didn't have that creative spark, that pace, that extra bit of something to finish the game

I've had to stick Carlos on because after the feel good factor in the last 10 games, that was sucked out of us last night by shoehorning 3 central midfielders in to a 4 man midfield, no width throughout the game, defensive tactics and selecting the wrong players. Instead of going for it, we went in to the game cagey and nervy and solid at the back hoping to knick a goal.

Did we bottle it last night? i dunno  :(

I'm reeling. still feel absolutely gutted. This was a great chance to get to the final, easier than against Brighton and we could capitalise on going 1-0 up before blowing it.

Those penalties were shocking from Hutch and Fessi. so weak. Just fecking bang it!!!

hopefully we can regroup, and with a few tweaks and some signings, carry on .. i dont want us to stagnate like Derby and be just outside the play offs. We have tasted what its like to be on the cusp of the premiership so we all now need to step up and finish the job this new season!!

Edited by Hack-Abusi

28 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Westwood - 7

Hunt - 7

Loovens - 7

Lees - 7

Pudil - 6

Bannan - 7

Lee - 5

Hutch - 6

Reach - 4

Fletcher - 6

Fessi - 5

Carlos - 4

Sat down and thought about it but i can't give anyone over 7. There were some respectable performances. Thought the backline were pretty solid throughout until Pudil switched off for the goal, Bannan was industrious in midfield but loves the hollywood ball and up top i thought Fletcher and Fessi worked hard.. ish, but nothing came off for them, but overall we just didn't have enough or create enough to finish off Huddersfield. We'd have probably had the same problems in the final as well ... just didn't have that creative spark, that pace, that extra bit of something to finish the game

I've had to stick Carlos on because after the feel good factor in the last 10 games, that was sucked out of us last night by shoehorning 3 central midfielders in to a 4 man midfield, no width throughout the game, defensive tactics and selecting the wrong players. Instead of going for it, we went in to the game cagey and nervy and solid at the back hoping to knick a goal.

Did we bottle it last night? i dunno  :(

I'm reeling. still feel absolutely gutted. This was a great chance to get to the final, easier than against Brighton and we could capitalise on going 1-0 up before blowing it.

Those penalties were shocking from Hutch and Fessi. so weak. Just fecking bang it!!!

hopefully we can regroup, and with a few tweaks and some signings, carry on .. i dont want us to stagnate like Derby and be just outside the play offs. We have tasted what its like to be on the cusp of the premiership so we all now need to step up and finish the job this new season!!

Good post. 

Westwood - 7

Hunt - 7

Lees - 7

Loovens - 6

Pudil - 6

Reach - 6

Lee - 6

Bannan - 8

Hutchinson - 7

Fletcher - 7

Forestieri - 7

I feel I've been a little generous with the ratings, purely because I think the players played the best they could under the circumstances - trying to accommodate Bannan, Lee and Hutchinson into a midfield 4 doesn't work and we won't see the best of this group of players whilst they are asked to play that sort of style on home turf.

11 hours ago, eddyowl123 said:

Anyone not picking Bannan for our MOM tonight wants a stern talking to.

Not our night, it's a real shame but we just weren't good enough.

See you all next season.

I thought Hunt was immense and just pipped it for me..his whole attitude summed up by sprinting 30 yards in the 119 minute to connect with a poor cross, nicking it off the defenders toes as he did and almost putting it away.

Anyway...you can pop round to tonight and give me that stern talking to darling...

Westwood - 7

Hunt - 8

Loovens - 7

Lees - 7

Pudil - 6

Bannan - 8

Lee - 6

Hutch - 6

Reach - 6

Fletcher - 7

Fessi - 6

Pudil seemed to really tire towards the end and their right hand side just picked it off. 

Fletcher was taken off at the wrong time just after he scored, Rhodes is in no way for me right to be up top with FF, he needs someone like Fletcher next to him. 

Fletcher totally isolated up front first half. 

Anyone else notice that Jordan Rhodes kept having to shout to FF to get closer to him? 

No coincidence for me that every time FF plays up front, when he has with Hooper, Rhodes and Fletch the others seem to struggle to score. 

When Hooper plays we have confidence to give him the ball back to goal and he will hold it, and bring others in. Then Fletcher becomes a threat in the air also so we have two focal points to hit and bring players in.

FF isnt strong or big enough to do this role and hes much better picking the ball up facing goal and running at them (from the left)

Theres no question for me had Hooper been fit Fletcher and Hooper would have started. But signing Winnall and Rhodes was meant to be the other options, but this hasnt worked for how he wants us to play. Confused at it all. 

I felt totally empty after last night and much the same this morning, I suppose because finally that hope and possibility was gone for another season and it was all over.

I thought the whole game last night felt surreal, right from the start. The atmosphere, the way we lined up, the way we played was all very different from last season against Brighton. I really expected that bubble of fear and disappointment that has enveloped the whole club, fans, management and players, since Wembley last season, to suddenly burst last night and the real Sheffield Wednesday would stand out and do, what they and we know they can do and just blow Huddersfield away on our way to Wembley and victory over Reading. 

I must admit that I did nor realise until I was watching the game start last night, how much our not turning up at Wembley last season had affected us all, or at least so many of us and judging by comments on the way we have played throughout the season and the way the club feels different this season, with some fans rounding on our manager and on some of the players, this feeling is strong in a lot of fans minds.

Against all this, Carlos and his team of coaches have done an absolutely brilliant job in getting the players and the club to gel and go again after a huge disappointment at Wembley, that history shows leaves most clubs falling outside the top six, with 9th spot being the average position the season after. Most of our star players from last season have either gone through the motions for large chunks of this season, have had serious or successions of injuries that have kept them out and have collectively had a very mixed bag of form and performance that has left us feeling doomed to failure one minute, or destined for greatness the next. 

Last night kind of summed up our season I thought. Very high expectations were knocked, lifted, dashed and shattered. Our very expensive players did not quite provide the quality expected from very expensive players. Some criticised players stepped up to the mark and gave pretty much all that they could and on that note my two men of the match where again typical of the season, Barry Bannan who was at times brilliant and very hard working last night and jack Hunt who was solid, dependable, committed and very hard working all throughout the match.

For me Jack Hunt has been our most improved player this season and if every one of our players had matched his improvement from last season we would have gone up automatically this year with no shadow of a doubt.

When Wallace went off, I was worried that Hunt would get overrun on the right of defence, but like so often throughout this season Hunt has managed to defend often on his own and often battling to contain two players at a time and still come out on top. He and Bannan then went one further and unlike a lot of players who are contenders for man of the match, they both stepped up and scored.

Jack Hunt was my choice just a little in front of Barry Bannan.

I hope the collective disappointment gets washed away a lot quicker and more thoroughly next season preferably with a glorious double battering of the uppity red and white contingent from S2. 

13 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I felt totally empty after last night and much the same this morning, I suppose because finally that hope and possibility was gone for another season and it was all over.

I thought the whole game last night felt surreal, right from the start. The atmosphere, the way we lined up, the way we played was all very different from last season against Brighton. I really expected that bubble of fear and disappointment that has enveloped the whole club, fans, management and players, since Wembley last season, to suddenly burst last night and the real Sheffield Wednesday would stand out and do, what they and we know they can do and just blow Huddersfield away on our way to Wembley and victory over Reading. 

I must admit that I did nor realise until I was watching the game start last night, how much our not turning up at Wembley last season had affected us all, or at least so many of us and judging by comments on the way we have played throughout the season and the way the club feels different this season, with some fans rounding on our manager and on some of the players, this feeling is strong in a lot of fans minds.

Against all this, Carlos and his team of coaches have done an absolutely brilliant job in getting the players and the club to gel and go again after a huge disappointment at Wembley, that history shows leaves most clubs falling outside the top six, with 9th spot being the average position the season after. Most of our star players from last season have either gone through the motions for large chunks of this season, have had serious or successions of injuries that have kept them out and have collectively had a very mixed bag of form and performance that has left us feeling doomed to failure one minute, or destined for greatness the next. 

Last night kind of summed up our season I thought. Very high expectations were knocked, lifted, dashed and shattered. Our very expensive players did not quite provide the quality expected from very expensive players. Some criticised players stepped up to the mark and gave pretty much all that they could and on that note my two men of the match where again typical of the season, Barry Bannan who was at times brilliant and very hard working last night and jack Hunt who was solid, dependable, committed and very hard working all throughout the match.

For me Jack Hunt has been our most improved player this season and if every one of our players had matched his improvement from last season we would have gone up automatically this year with no shadow of a doubt.

When Wallace went off, I was worried that Hunt would get overrun on the right of defence, but like so often throughout this season Hunt has managed to defend often on his own and often battling to contain two players at a time and still come out on top. He and Bannan then went one further and unlike a lot of players who are contenders for man of the match, they both stepped up and scored.

I hope the collective disappointment gets washed away a lot quicker and more thoroughly next season preferably with a glorious double battering of the uppity red and white contingent from S2. 

Excellent post.

I had Bannan MOM with Hunt second.  Hunt's form over the last 2/3 months has been brilliant and huge credit to him for stepping up to take a spot kick.

for me Jack Hunt fully deserves to be the right back for next season. there is no way he needs replacing. His form has improved greatly and he's a very reliable and dependable player. Good at defending, good at going forward .. just needs to improve his final ball but i can let him off when there are more attack minded players not creating jack sh*t ...

58 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Agree with all this and very well put. 

Bannan 200 votes out of 300.

Superb display.

Golfed with Town fan and some neutrals this morning. Their consensus:-

Bannan outstanding.

What has happened to last season's FF? Why does he fall over all the time?

Are we always so defensive?

3 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

That's a reyt post. ^^^^^

Sums up exactly how I feel - although I picked Bannan for MoM.

6 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

From 1/10 performances to 5/10 at best. He isn't good enough, particularly bearing in mind how Carlos seems to want his full backs to play (i.e. be an attacking threat) and I am simply amazed at how many of you rate him. Amazed.